Author Topic: Oddball forced induction  (Read 11349 times)

Offline roblebel

• New folks
Oddball forced induction
« on: December 15, 2021, 04:16:51 PM »
As forced induction gets caught up with the 21st century and electronics that just get better and better, does anyone know the SCTA's take on electric blowers?

Offline bearingburner

Re: Oddball forced induction
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 05:47:24 PM »
When I was at Bonneville in 1971 a biker ran a Harley in the supercharged class using a automobile heater motor
and ductwork.

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 06:06:40 PM »
When I was at Bonneville in1971 a biker ran a Harley in a open supercharged class using a automobile heater blower and motor.

Offline jl222

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 08:19:52 PM »
  It's ben 20+ years but there was, is, a company near Carpenteria Ca that was making electric powered turbos
( centrifugals ) for autos , of course I was told by a well know Bville racer it couldn't be done.

Turbodine maybe?

Not for cars but forgot to tell him to look up when leaving the car wash.

JL222
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 08:22:22 PM by jl222 »

Offline salt27

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 09:13:04 PM »
If intended for an SCTA event an "artificially-aspirated engine" will have the blower mechanically-driven and/or exhaust driven by the engine.

Section 4 definitions, 4.FF   

Don

Offline MRK

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 11:57:24 PM »
As forced induction gets caught up with the 21st century and electronics that just get better and better, does anyone know the SCTA's take on electric blowers?

To answer your question, the subject of electrically driven turbochargers has been discussed along with other for form of forced induction that would be considered "illegal" under today's rules. There will not be any changes to the rule for 2022. As far as I know there has never been a rule change request to allow electrically driven turbochargers specifically. You are more than welcome to submit one. The form can be found on the SCTA website.
Cheers
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline roblebel

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 08:03:10 AM »
Appreciate all the reply's folks. My rule book still hasn't arrived so this kind of input is really helpful. I

As far as I know there has never been a rule change request to allow electrically driven turbochargers specifically. You are more than welcome to submit one. The form can be found on the SCTA website.

Offline JimL

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 09:05:12 PM »
A small bit of history with the electric "Turbodyne" blower:  I was lightly involved with a test of prepping some "Long Beach Celebrity Race" 1994 Celicas' for a proposed celebrity event for Pikes Peak Hillclimb.  The blowers were set up to run on 42 volts, with an oversize alternator arrangement to feed extra batteries in the rear of the car.

We found that the stock fuel injection could not be allowed to exceed 4.3 psi without popping the internal silicone plug in the MAP sensor.  We were doing a little "testing" late at night on some back streets in an industrial area.

The battery drain was so extreme that the cars were not going to be able to run the event distance.  Our joke, at the time, was that the drain was so extreme....we could see the headlight beams sinking toward the ground in a curve, in front of the car, when we tried full throttle!

I was told the primary (intermittent) use for the Turbodyne units was "start from stop" traffic conditions for diesel delivery trucks.  I understand they would allow smaller, more fuel efficient, and cleaner engines to do the delivery work needed.  It sounded like a good idea for that application, but a dead end for anything longer than a few seconds of operation.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 09:08:12 PM by JimL »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 09:24:08 PM »
OK, here is an oddball forced induction idea- Take a turbocharger and instead of driving the impeller with engine exhaust gas, drive it with a gas generator (not a gasoline powered generator like a Honda or Homelite) such as a hydrogen peroxide steam generator or a pyrotechnic gas generator. It might not last any longer than that Turbodyne electric blower but it's "oddball" (read: harebrained")  :-P
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 07:41:06 AM »
Youtube is full of videos of electric turbochargers on dyno and strip. They work. How long do they last? OK, flip the switch at, say, the mile and run to the 3? On a small motor class. The possibilities are endless..... lol8 muutt
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline MRK

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2021, 12:04:35 PM »
This is the system that's been pushed in recently rule change requests...

http://casupercharging.com/

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2021, 12:39:08 PM »
And Hey, didn't Freiburger et al from Hot Rod run a Monza at Wilmington (ECTA) with a bunch of leaf blowers for "supercharging" (also not allowed in SCTA rules- multiple engines and not driven by the primary etc)
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2021, 03:18:20 PM »
Well all forms of forced air induction should be in blown class.... Bottled air included...
I don't see the issue with electric driven blowers or bottled air... what am I missing?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tortoise

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2021, 04:08:36 PM »

I don't see the issue with electric driven blowers or bottled air... what am I missing?
Turbo or mechanical supercharging is powered by the engine. Using additional power sources is an unfair advantage.

Offline MRK

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2021, 05:03:49 PM »
Well all forms of forced air induction should be in blown class.... Bottled air included...

Vintage classes using vintage engines too or keep mechanical driven superchargers as the sole means of forced induction?? Not challenging you just looking for comment as the rule gets discussed further.  :-D