Author Topic: What's Craig Breedlove up to?  (Read 1801 times)

Offline tallguy

What's Craig Breedlove up to?
« on: December 04, 2021, 03:06:17 AM »
Does anyone here know what Craig Breedlove is up to these days?  Last I read, he was wanting to build a new LSR car,
jet-powered, for someone else to drive.  Still looking for sponsorship, funds, etc.

I live not far from Rio Vista, California, where he used to have his headquarters and operation/shop, before Steve Fossett
bought Craig's latest jet-powered car (some years ago).

Lately I've been thinking that if a bunch of enthusiasts got together and pooled their money and time, perhaps a viable new
LSR project could arise.  Thoughts?

Andrew Lampenfeld, former team member for the North American Eagle project

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: What's Craig Breedlove up to?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 02:15:56 PM »
Call Dick Keller and Pete Farnsworth... they had the last successful attempt... I'm sure both would still say use a rocket... bring more fuel...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 04:07:47 PM »
Call Dick Keller and Pete Farnsworth... they had the last successful attempt... I'm sure both would still say use a rocket... bring more fuel...

...and money!
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 10:17:01 AM »
Rosco McGlashan is nearly ready to launch his LSR rocket car, Aussie Invader, attempting to exceed 1,000 mph. The Wuhan Virus has caused delays due to the shutdown of the economy - and the necessary sponsor money. Email Rosco - rosco@aussieinvader.com.
His website shows a beautiful car, The Blue Flame on steroids?
Logistics in this international pandemic are certainly a problem. I believe he looks at a South African venue for his attempt.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 11:13:25 AM »
Wonder why he wouldn't try Lake Gairdner, unless he needs to rut dirt with the wheels like the SST.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 12:45:45 PM »
That is the issue. He ran his turbojet Aussie Invader on Lake Gairdiner as I recall. There were problems with the available length of timing track. Sort of typical with "dry" lake beds - and rain. No tire company these days wants to get involved in LSR. A "rubber-like" tread could be applied to these wheels, not pneumatic, but providing some coefficient of friction with the natural (salt?) road surface. Then the vehicle could be steered without plowing ruts in the surface for yaw control. I looked at that concept briefly while working on my Tony Fox "Proud American" LSR vehicle design (no, not the ripoff of Breedlove's concept).
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast