Author Topic: Nov. El Mirage  (Read 4684 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Nov. El Mirage
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2021, 03:08:00 PM »
Fan-TASTIC, Neil!

Tell us more about THAT Mirage! I knew James Gardner was a car guy - was it his?

No, unfortunately, I was thinking of all those non-glamorous LA/So Cal/Valley locations that are just past their prime, with slowly degrading strip malls and 50's era subdivisions, 1,500 sq ft ranches and above ground pools filled with kids that needed orthodontia but got minibikes instead.

We're talking Ontario - essentially the Salton Sea without the cozy beachfront options.

And this sardonic view coming from somebody who lives in MILWAUKEE . . .
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 03:10:45 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2021, 03:32:19 PM »
Fan-TASTIC, Neil!

Tell us more about THAT Mirage! I knew James Gardner was a car guy - was it his?

I don't think that Montage was Garner's but he and the LoVette brothers (Brad & Tim) were friends. They rebuilt a Lola T70 that Garner had an interest in. I have a picture of it in their shop around here somewhere. I think the photo I posted was taken when they were filming on location- possibly Malibu. BTW, Manta Cars made two cars- a Mirage (based on the McLaren M8 Can-Am car) and a Montage (a copy of a McLaren M6GT).
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2021, 09:08:00 PM »
No wonder you looked familiar Chris... Nov 93 was my first El Mirage as well.  I was working in the high desert not that far away... and living in Lancaster. 
Did ya notice it was a bit dusty... seemed like talc only browner as I remember...
That's when I figured out why all those roadsters had an intake sticking a foot out in front of their radiators.... and that we didn't have enough filtration to ever run there.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jet966

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2021, 03:01:43 PM »
Tears in my eyes over the passion, love, and multi-generational share of this great motorsport.
Other than the multi-generational aspect, I share it all, and celebrate the shared enthusiasm.

I've been at ElMo SCTA meets since May of 1988, only missed like 7 since, and most were to be racing elsewhere.
Made my first pass as a non-spectator in, like 2007 or so. Nothing against spectating. I do that most often.

'Twas a great meet. I pulled a Patrol shift last meet, but I still thank all volunteers. Kudos of all colors!

Y'all have a great off-season, and let's blow everything up again next year!  :cheers: muutt :cheers:

-SCTA 966
-The Other Glen SCTA 966B
Wheel Tramps CC/MC
Land Speed Racers So-Cal

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2021, 06:36:42 PM »
It was the September 2015 event, that was my first as a spectator. My buddy from Eagle Rock, Mark "Woody" Summitt, who owns the 250/350 pushrod classes on his Aermacchi/Harley was racing. I had a rental Harley I had ridden up from San Diego. As I crested Cahon Pass on 15/138 and turned onto the top of Phelan road, and the expanse of Antelope Valley opened up in from of me (including El Mirage), I knew I was hooked. Down that long slope on Phelan road, I finally negotiated the soft sand onto the lake bed. I'm an east coaster, but I studied Geology in college. This area fascinates me.

In 2016 I tried moving to my companies San Diego office, bought a house in Alpine on I-8. Worked in that office 4 days before moving back to Virginia. Sold that house 7 months after buying it for $45K more than I paid and only lost $10K (repairs, agent fees).

That winter (16/17) decided to buy back my old Guzzi Pro-Twins roadracer that I sold to a collector in 1994. Sat in a heated warehouse for 23 years. The race gas in the tank was wet and burned, and the carbs were clean. I knew it would run easy. And it did. I race prepped it for ElMo. Unknown to me they opened up the M classes, and I had a soft minimum to shoot for. That bike had been timed at 142 at Daytona by the AMA, and sure enough in my 3rd event of 2017 I went 141.673.

in 2018 my job back east told me time to go, and I got a job with Lockheed Martin Skunk Works in Palmdale. Bought a ranch in Llano, 18 miles as the crow flies from ElMo, I was on the north slope of the San Gabriels 4 miles from the San Andreas about 1000' above the desert floor, with a view of ElMo from my deck. A good last year working before retiring in July 2019. I had sold the old racer, and so race prepped my street bike and had fun all over the desert and at ElMo.

Needed ankle replacement (I roadraced 18 years, 4 national titles as an amateur, 4 years as Pro, 1 podium as a Pro), moved back to Virginia in October 2019 to live with wife and son again.  Got my ankle, sold the ranch just before covid hit, and then planned to return in fall 2020 for the October and November events. Did those on my street bike again.

In 2021, decided to build another serious race bike. Only this was a junk yard dog. Fixed 3 of my buddies bikes and got a touring Guzzi in return. Stripped off the touring junk. Had a hot cam, borrowed some big carbs. Built that girl up, and it went 141 last May. Less that 1 MPH short of my record.

Got the bike to Loring in July, was able to get it up to 137 through the thickest soup of air I had ever seen. Picked up another Guzzi (47mm intake valves vs the touring 41's, more potential) and race prepped it as well in anticipation of coming out for the October and November events (when they are 3 weeks apart it works).

Less than a week before I was due to head out, I was struck cross eyed and partially blind in my right eye. Seems the experimental treatment I had for cancer 50 years ago had caused lung cancer (non-smoker/non-small cell) in me. Worse than that it is stage 4B Metastasized. In my lungs, liver, ribs, jaw and behind my eye. Doctors say I'm a mystery as I have no symptoms (other than the eye thing). Can't drive my rig cross country. Can barely drive with special glasses as my "good" eye has cateracts.

So I'm hanging out, undergoing treatment, and shooting for MTEMIM (Mike to El Mirage In May).

I have two completed land speed racing guzzis sitting in my trailer. Ready to race, they are like hot women ready to be mounted. The trailer has new wheel bearings and tires. My Ram Promaster was new last April. Life is good.

The doctors tell me if I do nothing, 6 months. If I do what they say, 1 year (there is a faustian deal). The literature says, 1 in 4 can make it 3 years. I can be that guy.

Hope to see y'all at the track next may

« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 08:05:54 PM by mtiberio »

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2021, 07:16:40 PM »
"...they are like hot women ready to be mounted. "

Such a delicate turn of the phrase.  Thanks.  In re:  Cancer and your race bikes:  DON'T LIFT!  It sounds like you're running on bonus time now so give 'er!!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JR'S PAPA

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2021, 07:26:01 PM »
My grandson, JR, and I returned from the lake midnight on Sunday. He had to get back for work. What a super great trip and experience. On Friday, setup day, he finally met a very special friend from Great Britain, Geoff Stilwell. He was elated and overwhelmed by the warmness and sincere kindness of Geoff and his grand crew. They were so friendly. It was like we have known each other forever.

Then, on Saturday JR met his father's (my son's) greatest hero of all time, Al Teague.  He gave my 11 year old kid a a lifelong case of SALT FEVER, just like when Mickey infected me in 1960. Wow, WHAT A DAY!!!!!! 
 AL and his wife remembered my son and me from the 1990, 25th year banquet of the Summers Brothers record run. My 13 year old kid was the only civilian invited by Joy Summers, personally.

We met Al the year before at the '89 WOS meet. He gave my kid a signed poster and a guided tour around and in, and through "Betsy". My boy has been hooked ever since and that land racing gene was passed to his kid. More than I could hope for.

Thanks to all of the wonderful new people we met and made friends at Mirage and all of our family from Bonneville that were there. I am so grateful JR and I could further strengthen our bonds and gain one more memory together. We love each other very much.

Thank you all.......so much!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 05:52:32 PM by JR'S PAPA »
Been there, seen that! And now I can say I participate, with my kid and his kid, J.R...........

Offline 7707

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2021, 01:34:29 AM »
It was great meeting you and James. Glad he enjoyed seeing car and being part of it. Will be see you next year I?m sure. Please thank James for his support and it was a real pleasure meeting you.
Current class record holder (A/BFRMR) at 258.679mph and i?m Just trying to go fast!

Look for our Facebook page ...  Geoff Stilwell

Offline sabat

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2021, 11:16:59 AM »
The literature says, 1 in 4 can make it 3 years. I can be that guy.

Hope to see y'all at the track next may

I hope you are that guy Mike. With cancer, the literature also shows that attitude accounts for a lot. See you in May. -Dean