Author Topic: Two Shakes the S10  (Read 9437 times)

Offline fissionspeed

Re: The as-of-yet-unnamed S-10 Project
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2021, 02:27:36 PM »
At the time I got my rulebook, FMMP was completely uncontested in all classes (however Blue Mule just set the bar for C class this year) and BFMMP only had records in E and F. I figured since Gas has a record in every category (and since e85 smells nice and is forgiving to tune) that Fuel would be the way to go (blown or unblown yet to be determined).

Offline fissionspeed

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2021, 02:01:27 AM »
After quite a bit of sitting I finally started cleaning things out. Very satisfying pulling all this stuff out knowing I don't have to remember how to put it back in  :-D

Offline AJR192

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2021, 06:19:15 PM »
The smaller displacement classes in MMP would be my choice. Jesel owns everything from D up. Pretty hard to be playing David Vs. Goliath when unlimited funds and unlimited buddies who want to drive squash all the records that were attainable for a new team racing on a budget. My .02

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2021, 07:27:02 PM »
"... I don't have to remember how to put it back in."      8-) 
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2021, 08:11:36 PM »
Not to worry - just do as the manual says, "Reverse the order of disassembly!"  :? :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline fissionspeed

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2022, 06:33:23 PM »
So fresh and so clean! Finally had some time to work last night. Wife and I were doing a bunch of DIY work on our new house but are finally moved in, so I can see my new baby every night now.

Offline fissionspeed

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2022, 06:00:25 PM »
Updates as of last post:

-all interior panels are out
-rearview mirrors are off
-locks disabled
-rear suspension is out
-front springs are out
-truck is sitting about 5 inches off the ground, about the limit of the stock front end. Might go for more when I get aftermarket stuff up there.

Next step I think is going to be getting new control arms, getting a little lower, then building up the rear end. I have a junkyard ford 8.8 I'll be putting 9 inch ends on (rules committee says disc brakes don't count for axle retention). Tentative plan is to step notch the frame and do a 4 link with a watts link.

Need to organize the garage bigtime :oops:

Offline fissionspeed

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2022, 06:09:56 PM »
Updates:

As I save up for some of the big ticket items that I need to science out powertrain and suspension, I've been keeping myself busy with various odds and ends.

My job is nice enough to let me use the machine tools, which allowed me to modify my front hubs for half inch studs. Since our center finding tool is too small for the factory holes in the hub, I had to make a brass "button" to get the mill lined up. I was also able to make an installer tool. Unfortunately, my first try with .625 knurl failed, the 0.62 drill bit wiggled just enough to make the knurl a slip fit. Lucky for me S10s are plentiful so it was only a $20 mistake. These are drilled 37/64 for .594 knurl, which worked great.

I have also purchased gnomenator's model 4 bender off the classifieds section, so hopefully I can start on the cage soon. In preparation for that, I modified a popular CAD file for exhaust fabrication to match 5.5" CLR and 1.625 OD. This will hopefully allow me to mock the whole cage up with cardboard tubes before I start bending.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 06:52:09 PM by fissionspeed »

Offline fissionspeed

Re: Two Shakes the S10
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2022, 07:06:21 PM »
Oh, and I finally settled on a name: "Two Shakes," sticking with the nuclear theme of my little 3D printing business. The "shake" is an informal measure of 10 nanoseconds the Manhattan Project came up with (from "two shakes of a lamb's tail") to help deal with very short time intervals. A shake is about how long it takes a neutron to fly off and split another atom.

Also, I was able to get a log book and pick out a race number last Elmo meet, I chose #239 (the fun isotope of plutonium 8-)). Hopefully I can get a race in before it expires  :laugh:

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2022, 02:47:53 PM »
I chose #239 (the fun isotope of plutonium 8-)). Hopefully I can get a race in before it expires

In theory you should have around 24,110 years.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2022, 03:33:23 PM »
Back in 2008 the Burkdolls put a late model 1000 cc Kawasaki MC engine in an S10 as I remember and went 137 n.a. and 150+ with a turbo. I would be an easy installation, maybe a Hyabusa and you could probably go 150, n.a.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline fissionspeed

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2022, 02:15:34 PM »
Back in 2008 the Burkdolls put a late model 1000 cc Kawasaki MC engine in an S10 as I remember and went 137 n.a. and 150+ with a turbo. I would be an easy installation, maybe a Hyabusa and you could probably go 150, n.a.

Rex

That would certainly be easier to get in and out than the iron block V8  :-D  I have indeed been strongly considering making the car as modular as possible to facilitate different powerplants. For budget (and fun-having) reasons it would be nice to have a car that I can race before I'm able to buy all the gear to pass tech at 200.

I chose #239 (the fun isotope of plutonium 8-)). Hopefully I can get a race in before it expires

In theory you should have around 24,110 years.

After that we change the number to 235  :-D

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2022, 11:15:02 AM »
One of the things about MC engines is that stock they make more HP/CU.IN. than most highly modified auto engines.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline fissionspeed

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2023, 04:07:06 PM »
Some loosely organized updates:

- After parting out everything, I've profited $300 on the chassis, so that's fun!
- Tested compression on the donor engine, was terrible. Was hoping to not let the magic out but took the heads off to lap the valves and install the PAC 1218 springs. Have yet to inspect the bottom end but the thrust seems ok.
- Picked up a bunch of parts on black friday, 1400cc bosch injectors, TRZ control arms to get some caster, sloppy mechanics "Best Cam" and other odds and ends.
- Welded in the step notch kit. This was a big time sink as I'm still new to MIG welding and metal fab in general, so had to get gooder at that to make all this happen. Lots of grinding :oops:
- Enlarged the brackets on the comp engineering 4-link kit to fit the ford 8.8

Next steps:

- Get all the suspension stuff under the car
- Get some mockup wheels and tires
- Make sure I can achieve the ride height I want with the current setup
- Weld it all in and finish narrowing the rear end
- Practice tube bending and start on the cage

Some pictures:
https://i.imgur.com/crMZPYN.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/y8K4Ttp.png
https://i.imgur.com/vnHcOZz.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/oQ7zD03.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HEA8zxa.jpg
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 04:27:30 PM by fissionspeed »

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2023, 05:04:04 PM »
Looking good! What's your Speed Week target for the truck? '24?
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668