Bonneville Salt Flats Discussion > Build Diaries

Two Shakes the S10

(1/12) > >>

fissionspeed:
Hi everyone.

After years of fantasizing about it, I've decided to take the plunge. Saw this '98 S-10 for $500 on fb marketplace and said "today's the day."

I've done a lot of odds and ends on my various projects and a couple engine swaps but nothing this big. I'm looking forward to learning a lot on this journey!

Ultimate goal is to make it to the salt, pass tech, and run in ?/MMP. Then if that works out, go really fast in ?/MMP. No idea on engine yet, LS platform is my comfort zone but I think a 2JZ would be a lot of fun.

Looking forward to bothering you all with dumb questions  :cheers:

Gary Perkinson:
Hey...congrats on the S10! Oddly enough, I've also been looking at S10s as potential salt candidates, probably because of their "less-car-to-deal-with" appeal as a platform, although of course there's ALWAYS a lot more to deal with regardless of the car and class you choose. In any case, great idea to get the extended cab--it'll make getting a full-containment seat, cage and fire stuff in there at least a little easier.

Does that have the 2.2 motor or the V6? If it's the latter, you might consider rebuilding that instead of swapping it out for a bigger engine that'll be a PITA to squeeze into the little S10 engine bay (although race-only makes that task easier). Boosted and built, the 4.6 V6 can probably make upward of 400 hp...

Where are you located?

fissionspeed:
Gary - currently located in Norco CA. I honestly didn't even look at the motor. It was listed as "needs a head gasket" which I took to mean "it needed a head gasket a few thousand miles ago" and pretty much banked on free-throwing it into the dumpster. But I'll check it out, if it's not wasted it'd be nice to have something that will let it putt around while I figure out frame and suspension stuff.

No kidding on "lot more to deal with!" I got a rulebook on a whim a year ago after re-watching the Bonneville episode of Roadkill. Now several books and many, many hours of reading later, the rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper  :laugh:

Gary Perkinson:
It sure does, although I'm one of the (probably many) weirdos who actually likes browsing through the rulebook...maybe it's the pictures...  :-D  In any case, good luck with the build, and when you have questions, this is the place to go--there are loads of people on here with infinitely more LSR knowledge than I'll ever have, and they're all willing to help...  :cheers:

WOODY@DDLLC:

--- Quote from: fissionspeed on October 24, 2021, 10:56:42 PM ---No kidding on "lot more to deal with!" I got a rulebook on a whim a year ago after re-watching the Bonneville episode of Roadkill. Now several books and many, many hours of reading later, the rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper  :laugh:

--- End quote ---
There is no escape - you will be assimilated!  :? :cheers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version