Author Topic: 50th plus 1 anniversary of The Blue Flame's LSR  (Read 3669 times)

Offline MAYOMAN

50th plus 1 anniversary of The Blue Flame's LSR
« on: October 14, 2021, 01:48:54 PM »
In the early 1960s, Art Arfons, Craig Breedlove, and Walt Arfons bought surplus aircraft turbojet engines ? and found out how fast they COULD go. In 1965, three guys from Milwaukee, Ray Dausman, Pete Farnsworth, and Dick Keller decided how fast they WANTED to go.
The they decided to build their own rocket engine to go THAT fast.
Gary Gabelich drove THE BLUE FLAME to the first world land speed record over 1,000 kilometers per hour [1,016.656 km/h in the flying start kilometer] on October 23, 1970. That record lasted 27 years and is the last world land speed record by an American car and driver, and the last on the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah.
SPEEDQUEST ? Inside The Blue Flame ? is how The Blue Flame came to be, from start to finish in 27 months. It is available at Amazon Books.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 11:17:36 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Online WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
Re: 50th plus 1 anniversary of The Blue Flame's L:SR
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 06:12:35 PM »
And a fine read it is!  :cheers: :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 03:54:39 AM »
Anything happening at the Sinsheim this year?

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 10:27:18 AM »
I understand that the Sinsheim Technik Museum is open to a very limited number of visitors. Also, travel to Germany seems to be limited by Covid restrictions. I haven't heard of any plans regarding The Blue Flame other than video presentations we prepared together for the 1970 anniversary, that didn't happen.

Offline N72727

Re: 50th plus 1 anniversary of The Blue Flame's LSR
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 03:58:22 AM »
Avoid traveling to Europe. It's a real mess. You have to show a pass, a negative test, proof of vaXX in most places, etc. And wear muzzles on your nose... No fun.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 07:24:04 AM »
Avoid traveling to Europe. It's a real mess. You have to show a pass, a negative test, proof of vaXX in most places, etc. And wear muzzles on your nose... No fun.

Interesting perspective. It looks kinda different from this side of the pond.

Are you saying none of the above applies in the US?

Offline N72727

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 10:01:51 AM »

Interesting perspective. It looks kinda different from this side of the pond.

Are you saying none of the above applies in the US?
I'm in France, about two hours driving from Sinsheim. Look at the restrictions. Is it a museum or a fortress ?
https://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/en/corona

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 02:41:42 PM »
My original plan in 2020 was to fly into an out through Strasbourg, staying with a friend there for a few days. There appear to be quarantine restrictions crossing the France/German border as well as entering France in the first place. The museum protocol looks very restrictive as well. We have few restrictions in lower Alabama. Some stores and medical facilities have staff wearing masks. Probably a lawyer thing. I have both vaccine shots and not too worried personally.

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 07:49:01 PM »
Does the Blue Flame have a dedicated YouTube Channel?
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 04:32:34 PM »
I don't know what that is. I have 3 Youtube videos under Dick Keller. Sam Hawley did 3 under Land Speed Legends, mostly accurate.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2021, 07:16:42 AM »
Here are YouTube links that I have. Also, Sam Hawley has a few on The Blue Flame.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2022, 09:56:59 AM »
Sunday, October 23, 2022 will be the 52nd anniversary of The Blue Flame setting the last American absolute world land speed record - and the last absolute world land speed record on the Bonneville Salt Flats. SPEEDQUEST, my book is still available at Amazon, also on Kindle. Check out the Youtube videos as well.

Online WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2022, 03:17:08 PM »
If you don't have this book - treat yourself or a friend to a great read!  :cheers: :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline desotoman

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2023, 05:59:21 PM »
I just saw this so thought I would post it.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2023, 10:05:43 AM »
Speaking of FACTS - The Blue Flame's world land speed record was 630.388 mph, set in the flying start kilometer. The flying start mile record was 622.407 mph, NOT the WORLD speed record.
FIA allows us to time both the mile and kilometer record speeds simultaneously. The fastest flying start records certified by the FIA are the mile and kilometer records. The "World Land Speed Record" is THE fastest FIA-certified record, in this case the kilometer flying start record. Also, at 1,014.656 km/h, it was the first World Land Speed Record above 1,000 km/h!
Unfortunately, the AGA sponsors' PR firm was fixated on the "mile" and erroneously publicized the slower speed as the World Land Speed Record on October 23, 1970. It wasn't. That error continues to be cited. Also, The Blue Flame's kilometer land speed record stood for 27 years until it was soundly smashed by Andy Green in his jet car. The next World Land Speed Record was set in the flying start mile in 1983 at 633 mph by Richard Noble. But, the flying start kilometer record remained intact, no longer the World Land Speed Record.