Author Topic: Fred Larsen info  (Read 2146 times)

Burny

Fred Larsen info
« on: December 06, 2006, 03:33:31 PM »
Hi. I am an artist and I am working a painting that chronicles (?) Fred Larsens crash in 1957. He survived crashing his 27 rear engined Ford at 200 MPH. Here's a shot of the car in question.  I need to know:

What number he was running that day?
What color was the car? (I heard gold on another site, I'm thinking a mustard or light orange)
Any details on the crash- i.e. did the front lift up and the car flip over that way, or did he have a blow out and the car tumble forward or sideways before sliding upside down- going backwards?

Thanks in advance.

-Ron

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k250/RonBurnco/Cars/?action-view&current=FredLarsonRoadster.jpg

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k250/RonBurnco/Cars/?action-view&current=aftercrash.jpg

Offline Freud

Re: Fred Larsen info
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 11:03:14 PM »
I doubt that Fred ran any number other than 115.

I'll check on it.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Nitroholic

• Dirty 2 Club Member
  • New folks
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 12:34:38 PM »
Ron,

I may be able to help you.  Fred Larsen and my gradfather Don Cummins were racing partners.  The number on the was for the event #158.  The car went into a spin and flipped over at approx 215mph.  Here is a quote from Fred in an artical that was done a few years ago:

?The car was going backward, upside-down, and I slid on my hard head on the salt,? he remembers. Fred received 180 stitches on his head and face as a result. The roll bar was bent forward as the car slid backward, offering no protection. Larsen?s helmet was torn off when the mag broke and hit him on the back of his head during the slide.

I will try to attach some pictures.  I could also email them to you if you want.

Offline Nitroholic

• Dirty 2 Club Member
  • New folks
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 12:41:30 PM »
here is another one...

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 02:48:08 PM »
Good Job, Nitroholic.

Those fotos tell it all.

I guess I won't wait for a reply from Mary Lou.

Thanks,

FREUD
Since '63