Author Topic: another class needed??  (Read 6800 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: another class needed??
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2021, 07:37:33 PM »
After a B will come A, then AA, then D, then E, then, F, XF, XO, V4, V4F :deal. all with iron heads flat tappet cams, etc.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2021, 08:14:01 PM »
Yep.  Starting to look like the MC classes.  Well, everyone needs a trophy.  At least one.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2021, 06:51:25 AM »
Yep.  Starting to look like the MC classes.  Well, everyone needs a trophy.  At least one.

From the rule book, 14 pages of car records at El Mirage, vs 7 pages of bike records (there are a lot of open M class records, introduced in 2017). For Bonneville, it's 18 pages of car records vs 16 for bikes. If "class inflation" exists (and I believe it does), M/C's are not the first or the worst.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 07:38:16 AM by mtiberio »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2021, 12:48:04 PM »
There're less pages for bike classes because they don't include the hundreds of Open Records.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline racergeo

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2021, 03:14:06 PM »

Quite by accident I found the answer I was looking for. While looking in the rule book I noticed Mike Cook's ad and that it features 27 & 29 roadster bodies for sale. So I called Mike and he didn't have any bodies currently in stock he did have a nearly finished car.

When Mike Cook builds a car to the max allowed in the rules you know that is the new norm. Long wheel base (122") driver set back, left steer, all the tricks.

When I posted this I had no idea there was bad blood on this topic. As more people posted I realized a lot of old school cars would have been effectively obsoleted by the introduction of the aero roadster. I can see how a traditional old school roadster lover would be more then a little put off by the SCTA not putting a check on a class that should be held to a constant.  Mike Cook says he builds all his cars the same, so it's clear to me that is the accepted new "roadster". Thanks to all for your input.  I'm going to have to advise that this roadster be built to the new standard.  SORRY

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2021, 04:38:47 PM »
Have fun!  Mike builds a nice car.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2021, 05:44:13 PM »

Thanks St. Stan, your blessing on this project is important to me.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2021, 05:38:54 PM »
  I just watched a video of a newly developed Jessel Racing V8 engine that makes 1200 HP with a stable valve train at over 10,000rpm for Bonneville and NHRA use. With 12 cylinder engines that make over 900 hp at 368 c.i. on gas and 32 valve V8s, it might be time to look at D,C,B,@A cir/roadster and lakester.  Maybe even streamliner and coupe. The high tech and big money guys could push a lot of cars out of the most popular classes. Any thoughts????

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2021, 11:45:20 PM »
I am pretty much a center steer 143 inch roadster guy with the axle behind the grille shell. Would I build my car today? No .. would I build a axle in front of the grille and the frame 1 inch off the ground? That would be a no also. I would not relish the ride loosing a front or rear tire at speed in one of the modern roadsters.

So what is my option? I probably would not do it. As in all LSR today, costs would keep me out so I am glad I was able to skin by in the 70-80s with not too much money to get into competitive classes.

I just completed getting ready for the October meet at El Mirage and sometimes still wonder how and why I am still competing. In 2020 I had two 16 x 5  rims made and bought 2 Dunlop racing tires at a cost of both our 40 Chevrolet and Austin roadster cost combined. That would make anyone stop and think today with a young family and a house payment in Southern California.

I am glad new competition vehicles of any kind are being built. Things will never go back no matter what some think here. Some here had dreams of what AIR was to be but alas it has gone to the same because specs were not included as rules to keep what the traditionalist had hoped.. me included.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 12:25:37 AM by jimmy six »
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline racergeo

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2021, 04:02:09 PM »
   Have you guys seen that the Disorderly Conduct #647 roadster raised the C/CIR record to 212 at WF? That car is a traditional design roadster. Has the axle in the grill shell, sits up high and isn't channeled. It has the headers coming out hood in the air and the parachute is low mounted in the middle of the trunk. It even has a big hood scoop and runs a SBC. It must have close to 650 hp in order to go that fast with all the aero penalties. Any thoughts, explanations?? It blows my mind!! At least what's left of it.