Author Topic: another class needed??  (Read 6803 times)

Offline Beef Stew

Re: another class needed??
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2021, 05:01:10 AM »
A legal AA/AIRoadster engines that no-one would ever run. Because they don't exist in junkyards anymore. Why is everybody worried about engines that are not available. When was the last time you saw a Packard V8 at a Pick-A-Part?

This 1960 702 cid GMC 60 degree V12 gas engine weights 1,500 pounds. You could leave the traction aiding lead at home  aktion086
Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2021, 09:35:10 AM »

I sure wouldn't want to be in charge of anything as complex and controversial as rule making.

The Pick Up class exists because during the 1960s a SCTA Club Championship was still a BFD. So lets retire the PU class  :clap

A retired class would still be listed in the record books, but no new records could be set. AMA already does this  :clap

Classic Gas Coupe looks like a good candidate to be retired. At one time SCTA didn't allow coupes to run  :clap

Get rid of all Gas classes. Event fuel should be alcohol as a minimum  :cheers:

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline jl222

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2021, 10:59:46 AM »

With all those classes eliminated who could afford to put on an event?

JL222

Offline desotoman

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2021, 12:59:43 PM »
 :-o

« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 10:07:00 AM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2021, 01:49:10 PM »

With all those classes eliminated who could afford to put on an event?

JL222

I've ran at Bonnieville when we had less than 200 entrants. One year we ran as an NHRA event to use their insurance. We were too small an event to get insurance on our own  :-(

The NHRA is a member of ACCUS-FIA https://accusfia.us/member-clubs-1 If SCTA-BNI were part of NHRA, SCTA-BNI could have real FIA records. Also Bonneville would become a Camping World event?additional sponsorship money now becomes available  :clap Also better press coverage  :clap  :clap

AMA-FIM has a Bonneville motorcycle event, so no need for SCTA-BNI bike classes  aktion086

It may be time to rethink LSR. 1937 was a long time ago.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2021, 02:55:32 PM »

I am trying to help a friend get a red hat. I personally know what a tall order that is.

I had no idea of the amount of bitterness there is some of these classes. Probably talk to some in the classic engine category and they don't like Buick straight eights in a Nissan 240 SX :-P

One observation I have made, is there are a lot of selfless people that have given a lot of time to the SCTA and there club events.

I hated 'Rat Rods" but now I get it. I love "high boy roadsters" but now I love the #62. I lost my love for NHRA, but love their Nostalgia Series

So if a guy puts a custom made 1000 hp, 304 c.i. 16 cyl. engine in a low boy roadster is that against the spirit of the rules???  (asking for a friend with a large stock portfolio) :roll:

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2021, 03:28:52 PM »

I am trying to help a friend get a red hat. I personally know what a tall order that is.

I had no idea of the amount of bitterness there is some of these classes. Probably talk to some in the classic engine category and they don't like Buick straight eights in a Nissan 240 SX :-P

One observation I have made, is there are a lot of selfless people that have given a lot of time to the SCTA and there club events.

I hated 'Rat Rods" but now I get it. I love "high boy roadsters" but now I love the #62. I lost my love for NHRA, but love their Nostalgia Series

So if a guy puts a custom made 1000 hp, 304 c.i. 16 cyl. engine in a low boy roadster is that against the spirit of the rules???  (asking for a friend with a large stock portfolio) :roll:

I helped a friend get his Red hat at Speedweek this year. All it cost him was two gallons of C-16 gas and the endless desire to help on the car when ever needed.  And it only took a 1951 Ford flathead V-8 to get this accomplished.  :-)
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2021, 04:21:20 PM »

Please comment as I need to figure this out "for a friend" that likes old school but doesn't want to leave anything on the table.. Thanks   :-)

From my POV there are two types of racers. Those who enjoy flushing money down the toilet because they can. Then there are those who expect results from wasting money, for them second place is first loser.

I see both old school and new school used by many people. But what do they really mean? I went to sixth grade in a new grade school. I went to seventh grade in a new Junior High School. These were both new schools?but what does this have to do with anything?

You build horsepower by increasing airflow. People knew this before World War One. People know it now .

Is this fuel injection system old school? Does it matter?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 04:35:28 PM by Beef Stew »

Offline desotoman

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2021, 05:31:28 PM »
 :?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 10:07:36 AM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jl222

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2021, 10:40:24 PM »

I sure wouldn't want to be in charge of anything as complex and controversial as rule making.

The Pick Up class exists because during the 1960s a SCTA Club Championship was still a BFD. So lets retire the PU class  :clap

A retired class would still be listed in the record books, but no new records could be set. AMA already does this  :clap

Classic Gas Coupe looks like a good candidate to be retired. At one time SCTA didn't allow coupes to run  :clap

Get rid of all Gas classes. Event fuel should be alcohol as a minimum  :cheers:

Evidently you don't think much of SCTA/BNI or the hundreds of gas class owners.
I believe there is none finer. Yet you want to outlaw all gas classes, disregarding all the time, effort and money that has gone into building these car and motorcycles.

Your just trying to stir sh#t up. You will never run at Bville so DON'T be giving us unwanted
advice.

P.S your showing the forum the oppisite of your byline

JL222

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2021, 01:26:54 AM »

Your just trying to stir sh#t up. You will never run at Bville so DON'T be giving us unwanted
advice.

JL222

I already have one AMA motorcycle record. This is from the era where Earl Flanders was still certifying motorcycle records at Bonneville.

I also have one SCTA-BNI car record.

Most advice is unwanted. However unwanted and unneeded are two different things. 

Offline racergeo

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2021, 01:40:09 AM »
  I'm going to try again by asking this simple question. What car? (28-29 Ford?) would YOU build if trying to get a record in a car you build your self in the roadster class. Would you feel compelled to build it incorporating the "new Age" mods that the really fast guys are using.  Be specific please. Longer wheel base, low, scoop in grill and what ever else is the hot tip. 

Offline jl222

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2021, 01:42:15 AM »

advice.

JL222

I already have one AMA motorcycle record. This is from the era where Earl Flanders was still certifying motorcycle records at Bonneville.

I also have one SCTA-BNI car record.

Most advice is unwanted. However unwanted and unneeded are two different things.

Guess what, I don't believe you, what are they?

And we sure as hell don't need your fucked up advice.

Do you actually think getting rid of the gas classes is good advice?

JL222

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2021, 03:15:52 PM »
  I'm going to try again by asking this simple question. What car? (28-29 Ford?) would YOU build if trying to get a record in a car you build your self in the roadster class. Would you feel compelled to build it incorporating the "new Age" mods that the really fast guys are using.  Be specific please. Longer wheel base, low, scoop in grill and what ever else is the hot tip.

Heres my thoughts based on being involved a while and admiring certain roadster packages.
   Body of choice would be the 1934 Ford roadster it is the best when it comes to aero advantage. For a class I would lean towards a GAS or fuel roadster the additional wheel base length helps a bunch when it comes to those dreaded roadster spins.  As to air inlet to the engine and location I would lean towards the grill shell area.  Eliminating as many hiccups' off the body would be the plan since each area higher than the original body surface would produce drag which I would be spending the most time on to try and eliminate as much drag as possible. Continuing on the frontal area the tires used would be the narrowest and shortest possible to keep moving with the reduced drag idea.  The front axle would be an interesting project I would compare a straight axle to an upright type suspension using wing strut shaped support to determine which style produced the least amount of drag. When it comes to the rear tires I would tuck them in as close as possible to the body thus using the wedge shape of the body to help eliminate some but not all of the drag from the tire. The next great area of concern is the windshield and oil rig AKA the roll cage having the cage as low as humanly possible would be my plan. This would not be a very comfortable position but heck this isn't no luxury car comfort be dammed.
 Over all that's where I would start and if it comes out as hoped even a low horse power combination could still produce some fast runs.
 Ronnieroadster
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 03:18:45 PM by ronnieroadster »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline 37 ROADSTER

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2021, 04:36:15 PM »
What does all this arguing have to do with a new CIR class, quit whining.