Author Topic: another class needed??  (Read 6802 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: another class needed??
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2021, 04:47:07 PM »
Well, we've seen how the initial Compressed Air class has played out.  Did it do what it was supposed to?  Well, not to my way of thinking.  So let's expand it, make it more exclusive, get more participation.  List block serial numbers, valve inclination, axle location, gearbox exclusions -- you know, make a NASCAR class out of it for 5 or 10 more of the 400+ entries.

Harking back to my own bullshitt -- "Green seat?  Over in that line."  "Two cabonators?  Over there."  Deuce grill shell?  Step back a class."  "Overdrive?  Let me check . . . "  "Yes, that's right -- promise to come every year, let us know whatever you call it you're running."
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline desotoman

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2021, 08:57:51 PM »
Jimmy Six had a post on this thread, and poof it is gone. Guess he changed his mind and deleted it. A shame since it had some good suggestions.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2021, 10:10:47 PM »
Tom.. not worth keeping it on. Nobody gives a shit anymore. Everything that was suggested when the class was being formed was shot down because the guy thought everyone knew what he meant. Without specific rules it all went to hell in a hand basket just like the the newer roadsters being built today. To me it?s ok; it?s progress. Speeds are getting almost to the area where all the safety equipment available will probably not save a driver. E and F blown roadsters are over 250 because of progress of basic engine development not even in this country and in streamliners are way over 300 with 400 very possible soon.

Very very few backyarders are left. I?ve never had one of my in-lines on a dyno and truthfully don?t want to know their hp because it doesn?t  mean shit anyway let my competition guess. I won?t spend $5k on a racepac either as I enjoy tuning with my brain and my butt. Thanks for the positive thoughts.. JD
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 10:12:36 PM by jimmy six »
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline deepindebt

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2021, 11:40:39 PM »
My point is,I don?t care what class it is,a roadster with a stretched wheelbase is not a true roadster!!Thats what  modified is for!!!But I guess the good ole boy club doesn?t agree.We aren?t a fast car,but we are a roadster!
327,B/GR

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2021, 12:33:54 AM »
Gene Adams could have built a 371 Oldsmobile that would be competitive in C/AIR.  Max Balchowsky could have built a competitive Nailhead Buick. More than a few dragracers knew how to make horsepower with 370 Pontiac and 348 Chevy W engines. All of these engines were introduced before 1960.

1960 should have been the cutoff date for both engine and car technology. The Brissette Brothers 29/32 and the Don Cummins Fast Freight were raced in the 1950s. Both were record holders.

Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2021, 11:59:22 AM »
Tom.. not worth keeping it on. Nobody gives a shit anymore. Everything that was suggested when the class was being formed was shot down because the guy thought everyone knew what he meant. Without specific rules it all went to hell in a hand basket just like the the newer roadsters being built today. To me it?s ok; it?s progress. Speeds are getting almost to the area where all the safety equipment available will probably not save a driver. E and F blown roadsters are over 250 because of progress of basic engine development not even in this country and in streamliners are way over 300 with 400 very possible soon.

Very very few backyarders are left. I?ve never had one of my in-lines on a dyno and truthfully don?t want to know their hp because it doesn?t  mean shit anyway let my competition guess. I won?t spend $5k on a racepac either as I enjoy tuning with my brain and my butt. Thanks for the positive thoughts.. JD

JD,

Thanks for re posting. At least you were able to suggest how the class should be setup. Thanks for trying. The reason the rule book has grown over the years is because of classes like this one, where if it is not stated in the book a certain way, then it will be done.

Yes the backyard, shade tree mechanic are fewer and fewer even at El Mirage anymore. The average guy cannot afford to do this unless he partners up with 3 or 4 other people.

Yes we live in a changing world where it seems no one cares, that a roadster for a vintage class should look like a roadster. I blame it on racers being racers, and sometimes using safety as their reason for doing things a certain way, to get their way.

Thanks for your post much appreciated,

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2021, 12:06:34 PM »
My point is,I don?t care what class it is,a roadster with a stretched wheelbase is not a true roadster!!Thats what  modified is for!!!But I guess the good ole boy club doesn?t agree.We aren?t a fast car,but we are a roadster!

We aren?t a fast car,but we are a roadster!

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Offline desotoman

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2021, 12:13:32 PM »
Gene Adams could have built a 371 Oldsmobile that would be competitive in C/AIR.  Max Balchowsky could have built a competitive Nailhead Buick. More than a few dragracers knew how to make horsepower with 370 Pontiac and 348 Chevy W engines. All of these engines were introduced before 1960.

1960 should have been the cutoff date for both engine and car technology. The Brissette Brothers 29/32 and the Don Cummins Fast Freight were raced in the 1950s. Both were record holders.

Beef Stew, glad to see you back posting. Great picture. Gene Adams may have built the motor in the car at Bonneville that was entered as a B/AIR, or at least have something to do with it.

Tom G.

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2021, 10:28:46 PM »

Beef Stew, glad to see you back posting. Great picture. Gene Adams may have built the motor in the car at Bonneville that was entered as a B/AIR, or at least have something to do with it.

Tom G.

Thanks, glad to be back! The Doctors have been trying their best ... But I'm still here.

Fast Freight was a tight fit. It ran a Lincoln Zephyr transmission. It was so tight I had to remove my shoes to get my feet between the firewall and the seat. The clutch pedal pushed straight down, not fore and aft like a normal pedal. There was no way that my size twelves would fit.

BTW Don Cummins son Donnie runs a Blown Fuel Roadster  (Cummins-Beck-Davidson-Thornsberry).
Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2021, 11:12:07 AM »
I hope everyone realizes that 400+" motors can run in B/GR now (and have always been welcome).  Big flatheads, Packards, Oldsmobiles, GMC V-6s, etc.).  The SCTA doesn't have to make more classes for "non-competitive" roadsters to run in.  So let the renowned engine builders know of this great opportunity.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 11:17:40 AM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline racergeo

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2021, 06:42:44 PM »

O.K., just an observation, but it seems like the new roadsters that are being built are doing so with the latest "appearance and areo tweaks". So if you can get away with it and there is no exclusion in the rule book, why wouldn't you?? I'm not so sure that the big things these guys are bring to the table isn't a little thing called HORSE POWER.

The car from Texas that went over 260 in C/GR  not only was new school but had 960 HP. Wonder how fast Stan, JD and the 327 car could go with that kind of power??

Please comment as I need to figure this out "for a friend" that likes old school but doesn't want to leave anything on the table.. Thanks   :-)

Offline deepindebt

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2021, 08:32:38 PM »
Ed Renck is the current record holder at 258,from Colorado.That car has gone as fast as 262 at the 5.I agree,more HP is needed on our end.Our old set up put out 702hp on a chassis dyno.We think our new set up should be worth another 70 or so more(per the people smarter than I)I don?t think we could go that fast with the same HP as Ed has.Our best to date is 213,anything better than that is a win for us.
327,B/GR

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2021, 09:00:27 PM »
"Better than that is a win for us."

There you go.  Why not be happy with going faster?  Would you not show up not wanting to go faster?  What the fucck having you been doing? -- Trying to go slower?  Are you having a good time?  Haven't you met some folks you enjoy seeing each year?  This category of racing is so little followed (and with 1073 classes), who cares?  Well, you do.  Keep it up.

Offline deepindebt

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2021, 09:29:37 PM »
Yep,it?s good family fun!
327,B/GR

Offline racergeo

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2021, 02:01:13 AM »

213 mph with over 700hp at the wheels?? That's a lot of drag. My lakester with 515whp. ran 278mph.I'll put those figures into my speed calculator and figure your CD. In reality most of these classes are ripe for interpretation. It won't be long and someone will buy a storm damaged Tesla and have Nelson Racing build one of there 3500hp twin turbo deals and we'll have a 400mph door
slammer.  It might be a good time to consider what you want future cars to look like.  Have you noticed new Honda Civic and Accord and many other coupes?? You talk about aero!!! If you think cutting the classic class off at 1981 so the 82-92 Camaro/ firebirds wouldn't rule, wait till those become readily available.

I sure wouldn't want to be in charge of anything as complex and controversial as rule making.