Author Topic: another class needed??  (Read 6799 times)

Offline racergeo

another class needed??
« on: September 02, 2021, 03:48:41 PM »
  While listening to Speed Week I heard mention of an B/CIR roadster running on a few occasions. It was stated that it was a new class. After failing to find anything about it on the SCTA web sight I decided to call all things roadster Russ Eyres. Russ explained how the mistake was made but informed me that 3 new classes had been Proposed to the board. The classes are D, B, and A/CIR roadster. There are also other changes to the CIR class structure proposed to both limit and expand it.

My question to the wise sage (Stan) and others that are actually involved, if only one class was ultimately added which one would be your choice.

My vote would be for the afore mentioned B class. I think with the cylinder heads being the limiting factor, speeds in an A class would be of no gain and B includes many engines such as Chrysler 440 and my fav the 401 AMC. :-D A lot of roadsters are idle and there seems to be a lot of interest in this format.  D class would just be a SBC class and just contribute to the glut that already exists

Offline desotoman

Re: another class needed??
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 04:35:19 PM »
 :dhorse: 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 09:44:36 AM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 05:33:48 PM »
You can now run a 401" AMC in the C class.  You just won't make it to Impound and probably won't any way.

That's the irony and bull shitt about the Compressed Air class from the start.  They cried about not being able to run old Roadsters in the the class.  You could still run them, you just wouldn't set the records.

I guess what the Roadster classes need is a set-up like the motorcycles have -- hundreds of Open Records.  Paint it green, run a 400" Packard straight eight?  Try B/P4+ Roadster -- it's Open!

(Sorry -- couldn't help it.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline racergeo

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 05:49:39 PM »
  Thanks for that Stan, and now I can smile and go on with my day :lol:

Just kidding about the AMC Tom, but your comment was spot on about Desoto and other small hemis. So I have a call in to Traco Engineering ( they built Mark Donhue's Trans AM winning AMC engines) To see if they still have a short stroke crank. If Jon Kaase was forced to use an AMC he'd figure it out. So Stan, what about every time we ad a new class we retire two :cheers:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 06:39:42 PM »
I wonder if NASCAR has the same problem.  A guy shows up with a Nissan and says I wanna run.  "Have you read the Rule Book?" 

You know, some guys build a car to see how fast it will go. 

"Had one 30 years ago . . ." 

"Sure, you can run.  We've got 317 classes to run in, which one do you choose?"

"How 'bout one just for me?  I wanna see how much my 34 Chrysler roadster with a built-up straight eight can go." 

"Well, we got a class for that and you can run the piss out of it."

"But there's another guy with one and he already went 106 MPH."

"So?"

"He has a red seat and mine's green."

"Well, I guess we'll have to make another class for you.  What's your name?  What shade of green?  Is yours a late-model 34 with the rumble seat?  One cabonator or two?"   
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 09:25:43 PM »
Interesting about another class. How about allowing us vintage engine guys the opportunity to cross over.
 Here's what I learned at at Speedweek this year.  Since my record holding supercharged gas burning vintage category Ford flathead V-8 BGREMR at Speedweek was a lot faster than the current D class BGREMR record this year I wanted to run in the D class based off my fathead engines cubic inch size. The rules apparently don't allow such a thing.  Now this has me confused as to why there's such a restriction. V-8 Flatheads beating an overhead is V-8 not allowed.
 Ronnieroadster
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 09:27:16 PM by ronnieroadster »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline desotoman

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 09:32:03 PM »
Stan,

Calm down, your blood pressure is going through the roof. I want to see you around for at least 10 more years. I did not put any rule change requests in for AIR class. Was only commenting on George's post.

No we don't need any more roadster classes.

But they are coming and I hate saying this but Big Brother is pushing it so be ready for Electric/Roadster. Maybe part of the rules for that class is they have to have a stereo with speakers that put out the sound of horsepower at a minimum of 120 decibels.   :naughty :naughty :naughty

The only constant in life is change.

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 09:41:15 PM »
Ronnie,

The problem you have is that you are legal for the flathead class engine wise. I would ask them this question. If I have a passenger car ford flathead that is 327 cubic inches and the limit is 325 cubic inches can I run in a heads up engine class C. I don't see how they can refuse you as you don't qualify for the passenger flathead class anymore. JMO.

Tom G.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 09:41:17 PM »
So, instead of making Stan even more pissed with twelve more roadster classes, just run your junk in TO... (Time Only)  Done deal...

So...  Who wrote the initial rules for C/AIR?  If their battle cry was "300 old Roadsters need a place to play" why is there ZERO car rules?  Wasn't that the whole point?  Racing highboys in their own class, away from the salt sliders?

Here's another thing to complain about.  How many new classes will be made for electric vehicles in the next couple of years?  There better be one for Roadsters!!!
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 10:34:20 PM »
Strangely you're able to run your DeSoto-powered roadster in the appropriate displacement class it belongs -- Fuel or Gas, Modified or Street Roadster, front- or rear-engined.  Have fun -- see how fast you can make it go.  "I've got the fastest DeSoto-powered fuel roadster that ever ran at Bonneville!"  {I'll help you get a trophy (like participating in soccer)}. 

As I always am making fun of the motorcycle classes, the SCTA has it right.  They don't give a damn of your old-fashioned Harley has two cylinders or whatever.  One-cylinder, two-cylinder, four-cylinder -- 1000cc, you're in!  (Of course there's now 28 sub-sections to navigate.)  They've got some Vintage classes, but they don't say BSA, Harley or Parilla. 

And there are a lot of folks that can probably out-spend and out-think you along the way.  And they may have access to technology that's not approriate for your combination.  But if you set your own goals and reach them -- be happy.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 10:45:31 PM by Stan Back »

Offline deepindebt

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2021, 10:18:14 PM »
I would just love to see roadsters with a roadster wheelbase, but I know  :dhorse:
327,B/GR

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2021, 11:27:30 AM »
Looks like you had your chance.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2021, 12:34:56 PM »

That's the irony and bull shitt about the Compressed Air class from the start.  They cried about not being able to run old Roadsters in the the class.  You could still run them, you just wouldn't set the records.

Good point Stan.

So...  Who wrote the initial rules for C/AIR?  If their battle cry was "300 old Roadsters need a place to play" why is there ZERO car rules?  Wasn't that the whole point?  Racing highboys in their own class, away from the salt sliders?

I would just love to see roadsters with a roadster wheelbase, but I know  :dhorse:

Justin and deepindept, 

As I recall this was more about the engine specifications than anything to do with body modifications. So it did not say something to the effect of only Highboy roadsters with a rear height off the ground of 14 inches, or anything like the front axle must be located directly under the frame.

So not much chance of a highboy roadster setting the record in this class, as a few of the roadsters running in this class were built on the ground, meaning I don't know if I could put my foot under the frame, that is how low they are.

This class IMO should be eliminated all together. The teams currently running can still run their cars in the Roadster class, so no loss there. I predict the engine rules for this class in the next couple of years will look like the vintage 4 cyl. engine rules. As racers will be racers and push the envelope to the extreme. JMO.

Tom G.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 10:03:26 AM by desotoman »

Online 37 ROADSTER

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2021, 12:37:03 PM »
Ronnie
You should be happy you only have to run against ford flatheads and not all flatheads.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2021, 03:09:01 PM »

After DeSoto's comment I had to rethink the effects of a B class. No doubt the largest number would be BBC. Some Mopar guy, and FE Ford 392 Hemi, maybe even a destroked Caddy. If you want some parity put in the rules "no splayed valves, Cleveland- BBC ). Regardless of what you do some will be unhappy. In the real world there are 100 times more unused SBC, BBC, Clevelands and Hemis sitting around unused, waiting for a class to be competitive at BV then all other engine combined. You eliminate the BBC from a new class and it's going to be WAR.

I only brought this topic up so that different ideas to improve the class structure can be hashed out before hand and hopefully result in a well thought out class. Or perhaps they'll say, we don't need no stinken new class. :-D