Author Topic: car guys vs bike guys  (Read 14250 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: car guys vs bike guys
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2006, 04:10:02 PM »
"The beatings will continue until moral improves,"
Gee, ya know I thought I did all that stuff already.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2006, 04:43:14 PM »
No-we started from the same line as everyone else. After the next day's SCTA return run, we later backed up one mile, ran through mud, broadslid through a dog leg at the original start line and ran 348. Can't remember what happened, but we turned off on the return.

In October 2001, Jim True run Jack Costella's Nebelous II for FIA and SCTA, during the one hour return.

The Fia was measured in the sixth mile which gave him a 253 record, the SCTA only in the fifth mile, which was a 248 record, all during the same run.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2006, 07:38:06 PM »
The FIA run would have been set in the same measured mile of real estate withoout exception.
That is how you really break a record and the length of the available track is your problem.
Long ago the SCTA Board voted to allow 300 mph vehicles and above to run all of the usable space available without regard to the Speedweek starting line position.
 It has been done a number of times and with the 1 hr. turnaround time they have typically been the last down and first opportunity to return.
 This reduces the vehicle and spectator traffic and allows them the full available distance.
SCTA on the other hand does not use all of the track available and contrary to that procclamation they have decided to contain it within the 5 miles distance to the end of the traps.
Sometimes they use the same real estate average, sometimes the same relative mile from the starting line average and have varied the return schedule to the point to where you don't even do the return run the same day.
All of this has contributed to the exodus of the FIM, FIA vehicles that SCTA seems to hold themselves above.
The question is how can SCTA have a record and change the proceedures to a lesser challenge and or to a lesser technical requirement and call somebody beating a record?
JUST WONDERING ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2006, 08:48:57 PM »
If you are running FIA and/or FIM it really slows things down as I witnessed at BUB.  I see no way to do it during Speed Week.

Personally I really don't care if the record is FIA, FIM or SCTA.  I think with the limited course length now the SCTA is the harder one to get, so in my book it has more respect :-).

At BUB they were able to spread things out and have an 11 mile course.  I don't see that happening with 2 or hopefully 3 tracks in the future and I also think with the short salt return runs in the opposite direction at Speed Week or to dangerous to be attempted.

c ya,

Sum

P.S. And further more  :wink: All of this current discussion should really be a seperate thread where it might get more input  :-).

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2006, 09:25:46 PM »
The BUB meets are not a good examples of efficent events.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2006, 10:14:53 AM »
If you are running FIA and/or FIM it really slows things down as I witnessed at BUB.  I see no way to do it during Speed Week.

Personally I really don't care if the record is FIA, FIM or SCTA.  I think with the limited course length now the SCTA is the harder one to get, so in my book it has more respect :-).

At BUB they were able to spread things out and have an 11 mile course.  I don't see that happening with 2 or hopefully 3 tracks in the future and I also think with the short salt return runs in the opposite direction at Speed Week or to dangerous to be attempted.

c ya,

Sum

P.S. And further more  :wink: All of this current discussion should really be a seperate thread where it might get more input  :-).

The World Final in October was originally "found" to run FIA/FIM records by better (colder) weather condition and only a few starters, due to the number of starters in August during the Speedweek.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2006, 08:01:17 PM »
Actually, we did run FIA at Speed Week when Teague set his big record. Don't think it was a big slowdown. It was an amazing time that I believe was well worth any delays. Most people that were there thought that it was an experience of a life time.

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2006, 07:38:01 PM »
I agree with Richard. I saw Teague set a FIA record at World Finals 02.   I also saw the Banks Sidewinder set a FIA record at the same meet. I felt lucky to see both. Al's run was an experience of a lifetime.
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2006, 12:40:23 AM »
Whether it makes any difference or not; I do not believe there were over 400 entries at either of those 2 meets especially in 1991. Times have changed as they always do.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro