Author Topic: car guys vs bike guys  (Read 14249 times)

dwarner

Re: car guys vs bike guys
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 12:36:13 PM »
Yeah - we waited days to make a pass at the BUB meet four years ago.

DW

Offline Freud

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 11:12:58 PM »
Dan.....training wheels are a give away. If you were on a scooter, they wanted to save the laughs for last.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 11:33:50 PM »
I had a conversation with a former liner builder and driver last week. Bikes, fast cars and long lines came up. He suggested two meets, one for cars, one for bikes, back to back weeks. That might be an answer for everyone.

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 01:31:37 AM »
we've got an all bike week, it's called BUB and it is AMA and FIM sanctioned.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 02:43:57 AM »
we've got an all bike week, it's called BUB and it is AMA and FIM sanctioned.

Actuallly it is BUB sanctioned and AMA/FIM serve at his pleasure to his design.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline kspz3

• http://www.vrodracing.com
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2006, 05:39:59 PM »
No doubt in Drag racing - bikes typically get the short end of the stick..... and worse they must sit in the staging lanes getting baked to death while the duct taped cages spill their inards all over the track....... and once properly baked and delayed to death you get to go real fast hoping nothing is left on the track - solid or liquid.......and that is why they call it drag racing as it can get to be a real drag - KSP

Super Kaz

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 09:44:05 PM »
No doubt in Drag racing - bikes typically get the short end of the stick..... and worse they must sit in the staging lanes getting baked to death while the duct taped cages spill their inards all over the track....... and once properly baked and delayed to death you get to go real fast hoping nothing is left on the track - solid or liquid.......and that is why they call it drag racing as it can get to be a real drag - KSP

what ever you do Kevin,
NEVER Eat a Tuna fish and Egg Sandwich before your 200mph Pass at Bonneville :lol:!

Specially with a Fire Proof 'Hood Sock' on your Head . :cry:

Sitting out in the SUN for a Couple of MINUTES get's ya Burping Up all THE GOOD STUFF :-o.......

I can't wait to see you out there Next Season :wink:!!!!!

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 11:37:56 PM »
 The first place I would look to speed things up would be ban cars or bikes that go faster while on a trailer on a public road than they can manage on the course. Lets just say 100 MPH minimum. 
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2006, 12:21:10 AM »
The first place I would look to speed things up would be ban cars or bikes that go faster while on a trailer on a public road than they can manage on the course. Lets just say 100 MPH minimum. 

If we all used $10k small block Chevies that'd work.  Otherwise, you'll have to give the guys with $6k V4F's at least one run to see if they qualify for the Hop Up Mag 100 MPH club.  :-D

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Car guys vs bike guys. tell us how you feel about it Jack
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2006, 01:06:07 AM »
The size and scope of Speedweek has changed and has become too big for it's britches and 1 week is not enough time for it to fully develop.
Crowd control limits the flexibility in considerations related too track length and other things.
 Now the fastest vehicles are seeking other times to run and have abandoned SCTA.
It seems that the fastest vehicles all want to run FIA/FIM.
 So why doesn't SCTA step up and do it ?
To run it within the content of what has become of Speedweek is really tough.
Perhaps they should host FIA/ FIM record attempts in the week prior to Speedweek and give them an SCTA record also if they earn it.
The additional burden of the International sanction will limit the participation to a manageable amount and reduce the impact on Speedweek.
The "Divide and Conquer" method that is developing now is a shame isn't it ?
The rules have to be the same for everybody or the "Us and Them" deal will hurt everybody and has.
Jack 
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2006, 12:39:29 PM »
The rules have to be the same for everybody or the "Us and Them" deal will hurt everybody and has.
Jack 

that about sums up what I have been following and reading across the net for 4 years now. so why not entertain running records in the front half or back half and add a few additional days to run? this would require more volunteers however. how hard would it be to start advertising outside the SCTA for volunteers? how far aroud the world does this www.com thing reach?

Offline desotoman

Re: Car guys vs bike guys. tell us how you feel about it Jack
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2006, 01:18:16 PM »
Now the fastest vehicles are seeking other times to run and have abandoned SCTA.
Jack 

If someone wants to step up an spend $60,000 to run a private FIA/FIM meet I say good for them. I wish them all the luck with their new FIA/FIM record. If they want an SCTA record they must run an SCTA event. Plain and simple not a special event put on just for them.

This is an Amateur Sport put on by volunteers. Keep it that way. Everyone is on the same playing field, no matter if they are a day worker or a billionare, run a car or a bike, have a streamliner or a production car/bike.  All entries should be treated the same, no special privliges to any classes. We all pay the same entry to run and we should all be treated the same. Keep the EGO'S in check. Everything goes full circle, we just happen to be at a peak in populatity. One or two rainouts at Speedweek and alot of people will not come back. Mother Nature rules.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2006, 01:35:23 PM »
Jack-to your point about SCTA running an FIA/FIM meet and also issuing an SCTA record. In 1999 at World Finals, FIA was also santioning records. We asked if the FIA record would also be considered a SCTA record and was told at the drivers meeting that it would. We did a FIA two-way at 340+. SCTA was running their records with both passes in the same direction. Later in the afternoon, Mike Mangelli had the very difficult task of informing us that our return run would not count for SCTA and we would have to make another pass in the morning for the SCTA C/FS record. We did come back the next morning, made the pass but it was much slower as we had nitrous problems. So we lost almost 8 mph on our record. C/FS is now only 332.921 mph. There have been years that SCTA recognized FIA records and years they have not. The next year, we ran the same set-up at Speed Week, made 7 down runs at over 345, but could never return for one reason or another. We ended up making one too many passes on those aluminum rods, so that motor became a pile of scrap. We now have a B motor, but the C motor and record is history.

dwarner

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2006, 03:13:09 PM »
Richard,

I was at that meet. I don't remember, were you given a longer approach for the FIA passes vrs. the SCTA passes? Were both tracks of equal length or was that part overlooked by the SCTA?

Thanks,
DW

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2006, 03:32:03 PM »
No-we started from the same line as everyone else. After the next day's SCTA return run, we later backed up one mile, ran through mud, broadslid through a dog leg at the original start line and ran 348. Can't remember what happened, but we turned off on the return.