Author Topic: car guys vs bike guys  (Read 14248 times)

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
car guys vs bike guys
« on: December 05, 2006, 10:54:31 AM »
I was having a discussion with a buddy who drag races bikes. he has ridden everything but is currently running a pro street no bar bike in the mid 7's. he had been out for a T&T last weekend and told me he got 4 passes in a 7 hour session. he spent the better part of an hour in the lane between passes. bikes have their own lane. he watched the same mustang & camaro make 11 passes in the same time. he asked the guy running lanes why the bikes werent making passes. he says the starter dictates who runs next.

I thought about a remark I read in another post on this site in the past few days from a car guy about bike guys. I dont get why car guys have issues with bike guys? I have some theories but thought I'd see what others have to say.

What say you?

Offline desotoman

Re: car guys vs bike guys
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 12:15:42 PM »
I like both and own both. I was first a car guy when I was a kid. Then switched to motorcycles for both street and motocross. In my 40's went back to cars, but I still own 3 road race Rickmans and an Arial. Where does that put me? In a state of confusion I guess.  :-) :-) :-)

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 01:36:11 PM »
To me a gear head is a gear head, two wheels, four, boat-whatever. I don't understand someone in a racing environment,i.e. the starter at a drag event, who would favor one over the other. The way I see it we are all racers and we are in this together.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 03:07:11 PM »
We could arm wrestle, but after seeing the picture of Amo doing the pavement burnout I think I will pass...................
Bob Drury

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 04:09:59 PM »
I don't know if this applies to LSR events, but for drag racing the crowd wants noise and action. That is why the top fuelers are so popular. Bikes just don't make enough noise, and are hard to see. That is my theory why a starter would prefer to stage cars over bikes.

Not fair, but it could be one reason.
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 06:28:46 PM »
How about the ratio 3 cars for every bike :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 07:39:53 PM »
Oh, nice Glen!
How about . . .

Well, now that I think about it, why any difference? Fast guys first? The 50 mph bike paid the same entry fee. Rich guys first? Bring your tax bill!
The run order at Bonneville should be random. Not on early entry forms, not on speed, not on biggest boobs on the pit crew, not on biggest bald head, not on . . .
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 07:54:12 PM »
Dean
I have always said first come first run, no holding places in line and I think a truck or trailer with a bunch of bikes unloading at the pre stage area just ain't fair. Put each one in line like everyone else. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 08:56:46 PM »
Don't know about drag racing but at El Mirage Jim and Wes don't seem to know the difference between bikes or cars.  They move the lanes quickly and without any favoritism.  I don't there is a car vs. bike thing in LSR.  I love'em all.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 08:57:56 PM »
Dean
I have always said first come first run, no holding places in line and I think a truck or trailer with a bunch of bikes unloading at the pre stage area just ain't fair. Put each one in line like everyone else. :-D

Well said. :-)
Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Don Brent

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 09:38:54 PM »
I agree with Glen.  You think you are four or five back and you suit up and start to get strapped in then the trailer in front opens up and three or four bikes roll out.  Not a big deal, but it happens.  I haven't ridden a bike in thirty or forty years but think they should be treated just like everyone else that paid their entry fee.   I have noticed at club meetings that it is the bike guys that do the most complaining.  But then again, that may just be the SDRC.  BTW Cars can get ready and run just as fast as some of the bikes.  It is just that some think that getting ready three back doesn't mean them.  Also, if the thing (car or bike) won't start or isn't ready to push off, then pass them up and give the next guy the go ahead.
Don

Someday I have to give up on flatheads.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 11:45:48 PM »
bbb
it happens at all drag race venves... bike get treated like 2nd class. You just havent figgered out the secret password yet. at carlsbad years ago i would make a pass and roll back to the lanes, i would then go up to the lane nazi and tell him a joke... about every 3 or 4th pass i would go to the concession stand and get a soda, dump it out, and go see my friend with the cooler in the stands. I would fill the soda cup up with beer and take it back to the lane nazi. I ALWAYS got preferential treatment and NEVER had to wait. Ya just gotta learn the secret handshake
Kent

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 02:02:02 AM »
Now you've done it.  Jim and Wes will be paralytic by 10 a.m.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 05:32:06 AM »
Now you've done it.  Jim and Wes will be paralytic by 10 a.m.

So now you are an "INSIDER", having figured out the 10am secret.
Use it wisely.
One to two runs a day, down from four did not come easy.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 12:31:39 PM »
At the AHDRA meets the damn bikes get all the favorite treatment, same at the BUB meet.....What did I do wrong????
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro