Author Topic: New Guy Help Re: Loring ME  (Read 3192 times)

Offline 2ndAmend

• New folks
New Guy Help Re: Loring ME
« on: July 31, 2021, 06:29:16 PM »
I?m an old guy but new as they come for LC racing.  I hope to attend the Loring Timing Association Sept event and see what my Challenger HC can do.  I plan enter the Supercar class and be there Wed and Thurs Sept 1-2.  I read everything I could find on line and received some advice from a ?real? racer, but I?m looking for some green rookie help.  Such as:

1. I heard that Wed is really a half day, so would I be able to do the rookie orientation and inspection Wed morning and run Wed afternoon?

2a. I have 305 summer tires on replica wheels on the rear but are H rated (168).  Supercar class is limited to 175.  Should I run the 305 H tires or put on the 275 Z all-season tires on the factory forged rims?

2b. Will they possibly allow 175 on H tires?

3. Do I need gloves for Supercar?

4. I hear the availability of 93 octane is spotty, should I plan on octane booster?

5. Is there food and drink at the event or is it all BYO?

6. Is there cover or are you out in the sun/rain all the time?

Sorry for all the elementary questions.  Any other guidance would be greatly appreciated!  And I hope you will all tolerate further questions.

If I am asking things that have already been addressed 100 times, maybe provide a link.

Thanks!

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
Re: New Guy Help Re: Loring ME
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 07:42:49 PM »
I just made my first trip there on my bike, so my advice is fresh and suspect...

a word of warning, avoid the crown park inn in Caribou.

1. I heard that Wed is really a half day, so would I be able to do the rookie orientation and inspection Wed morning and run Wed afternoon?

YES

2a. I have 305 summer tires on replica wheels on the rear but are H rated (168).  Supercar class is limited to 175.  Should I run the 305 H tires or put on the 275 Z all-season tires on the factory forged rims?

why risk it (rules not safety).

2b. Will they possibly allow 175 on H tires?

maybe, you will sign a tire waiver.

3. Do I need gloves for Supercar?

no idea

4. I hear the availability of 93 octane is spotty, should I plan on octane booster?

I brought my own 93. Air was humid. You will not run lean.

5. Is there food and drink at the event or is it all BYO?

there were some folks flipping burgers there in July.

6. Is there cover or are you out in the sun/rain all the time?

no cover.

Offline Frank06

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 05:18:35 AM »
I would recommend calling or emailing Joe Daly (info at www.loringtiming.com) for rule confirmation and tire questions.  I'll find out if there will be food and post back (there usually is - it's a Toys For Tots benefit).  No sweat on the rookie meeting, it's all low pressure and there's usually plenty of time to get runs in.
E-Racer

Offline Frank06

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 05:43:12 AM »
I'm told food will be there again, as usual.  It's a great charity - many kids in "the county" in northern Maine enjoy Christmas gifts because of this group and we support them as best we can.
E-Racer

Offline 2ndAmend

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 11:51:16 AM »
Thanks for the help.  Anything else you or anyone can think of is appreciated!

Offline gofast

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 05:22:59 AM »
Yes, you need gloves, fire suit and a snell approved helmet 2010 ir newer.
The rules are on the web site. Bring an ez up for shelter.
Bonneville is proof that God loves us and wants us to go fast.

Offline 2ndAmend

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 08:37:29 AM »
Thanks, this is an example of some of my confusion.  Supercar class has some specific rules and sometimes I am not sure if they are "instead of" the general rules or "in addition to".  Clothing is a good example, while a fire suit is required in the general rules, Supercar lists only "non-synthetic fabric clothing" so does this mean I need non-synthetic AND a fire suit?  Similarly, a roll cage is required over 150 in the general rules but not mentioned under Supercar "Safety Equipment".  So without a roll bar in the 2020 Challenger I am limited to 150?

I know I can call and email the director with lots of elementary questions but I don't want to be a PITA, I'm sure they have a lot of work to do over the next few weeks and don't really have time to nurse a rookie.

(BTW: I noticed when I re-read the rules that leather gloves are required.)

Thanks again for the help. 

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 12:09:30 AM »
... does this mean I need non-synthetic AND a fire suit?...
I'm pretty sure the answer is 'yes'. [Unless you're naked under the suit...]
Since mention was made of a place to not stay, I'll recommend staying at the Bunker Inn on the base, if it's still there.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 12:13:41 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline 2ndAmend

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2021, 09:54:27 AM »
This again is another example of my not understanding the rule book.  The "non-synthetic clothing" requirement is specific to Supercar.  If this sentence was not there, the implication would be the general rules (firesuit) would apply.  Adding this sentence (as with everything in the section) implies it is different than the general rules.  My initial interpretation was that a firesuit was not required in Supercar because if it were they would not have even mentioned clothing as the general rules applied.

I guess I'll  put together a long list of clarification requests and email it to them.

Thanks.

Offline 2ndAmend

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2021, 07:18:14 PM »
Please allow me correct an error. My current summer tires on the rear are "W" (168) rated not H as I listed earlier.

I am still trying to figure out if I am better off with the stock Perelli P0AS 275ZR40/20 on all 4 or:

Stock P0AS front with Indy 500 Summer 305WR35/20 rear.

Thanks!

Offline 2ndAmend

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 05:17:05 PM »
I contacted LTA and all my questions were answered.  Paid my reg, hope to see some of you guys there, thanks.

Offline 2ndAmend

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2021, 11:33:18 AM »
Loring was a blast!  Everybody was great!  Staff, participants, Toys for Tots, friendily and happy bunch.  Staff was extremely professional and had great patience to answer 100 rookie questions.  I did 7 runs, 1st 2 were rookie runs (125 and 150).  I was still nervous so took it a little easy on #3, did 168, then 172 on #4.  Each run was better up to 173.537 on the 6th.  Last run was slightly slower.

Had a lot of trouble hooking up, could not do WOT until 3rd gear.

All in all, I am happy with 173 1-mile in a stock M6 Challenger.  Now I have to figure out what to do for next year!

Thanks for the help!

Offline Frank06

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2021, 02:17:58 PM »
Thanks for the kudos - glad you had fun!  That's what it's all about.  Hope to see you again.
E-Racer