Author Topic: Why is the Speed Demon So Damned Fast?  (Read 7001 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Why is the Speed Demon So Damned Fast?
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2022, 12:22:37 AM »
Last year I counted 28 crew members on George's team, just transport, lodging & food for that mob had to cost an arm & a leg. Even the JCB Flying Circus had only about half that many!
  Sid.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2022, 12:34:40 PM »
All I know is what I see, read and hear.

George is a very generous person.

IMO George and Team Speed Demon at Bonneville, are equivalent to Rodger Penske and his Indy Cars at Indy.  Both have the best parts money can buy.

Not complaining at all, it is George's money and he can spend it as he likes, more power to him.

I don't know of any team that regularly comes to Bonneville that spends more money. Unless you are talking about one offs like JBC Diesel who are Corporate backed and come for a year then disappear.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2022, 05:29:55 PM »
Landspeed has, and is sold as the last remaining motorsport that is accessible for everyone who wants to give it a go,, from the modest moped to the teams shooting for 500mph, we are all out there, regardless of budget, achieving, enjoying ourselves,,

Their are others that, "At Exorbitant Costs", choose to go to higher altitudes to seek the advantage (and disadvantage) of thinner air, that is unaccessible to the greater majority of us competitors and spectators,,

Kudos to the Speed Demon and all the other high roller teams who choose to let us competitors and spectators enjoy rubbing shoulders with them, and enjoy the spectacle and "Live" sounds of their vehicles at speed  :cheers:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline racergeo

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2022, 05:42:04 PM »

And to to add to your well thought out comment Stay' Tee, who wants to see an under funded team trying to go that fast, with a bunch of unqualified crew. When it results in a death it's negative press. George brings nothing but positive press to one of the smallest motor sports in the U.S.A.

Offline jl222

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2022, 07:03:18 PM »

And to to add to your well thought out comment Stay' Tee, who wants to see an under funded team trying to go that fast, with a bunch of unqualified crew. When it results in a death it's negative press. George brings nothing but positive press to one of the smallest motor sports in the U.S.A.

So how would you rate Al Teague for funding, Bob Dalton and flashpoint, Arley Langlo, Kiwi Belly tank, Burkland's  who build their own motors and chassis which George has no ability to do.

And if you think their crew is unqualified you have a serious case of rectal cranial intrusion

George goes fast because of his money PERIOD.

JL22
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 07:26:04 PM by jl222 »

Offline racergeo

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2022, 09:09:20 PM »

I think George Poteet goes fast because of his passion and aptitude PERIOD. I use a parts supplier that knows George, even goes out to dinner with him and George attends his sons little league games, I'll ask him if George has the abilities to build a car and an engine (say if he was younger and wanted to ). He'll know. LOL

As far as your question about how I would rate the racers that have nothing whatsoever to do with my comment, Al, Tom Arley,Bob and Danny and others, those guys are my heroes 
  Guys' that show up year after year and are well prepared and have success are not who I was referring to. In fact I wasn't referring to anyone. I was thinking of someone going after 500 mph like I believe George is attempting. It was in fact a response to the 28 or so crew he has. (Okay, I'll come clean, I was thinking of a certain Jet Car). I was just trying to put a positive spin on having the money to try and attain a really high goal in as safe a manner as possible.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2022, 01:19:00 AM »

If you would indulge me I wish to make one more comment on the "why is George Poteet so fast" topic. I asked the fellow who is a friend of George's how much he has to pay the bunch.  He laughed and said most of the crew are successful business people in there own right. George attracts smart, successful, knowledgeable people to his team. His brain trust at Maxwell along with Kenny Duttweller are able to assign duty by qualification. Most everyone is there on there own nickel except for meals and lodging. When Craig Liberty is out on the salt to see to it that his 7 speed is working properly, I don't think he needs help from George. :-D   
   I was cheering for Danny Thompson to get the I.C. engine record and he did. I wanted Rob Fry. to get to 500 first. I'm a huge fan of Arley Langlo's one of a kind liner. I had the privilege of him explaining what his goals are when I met him at El Mirage. I talked to Al at his last ever event and had tears in my eyes when I heard the 430 mph exit speed announced. I'm holding out hope for Marlo and Les, who have had the worst luck. Of course Tom Burkland is a gift to the whole land racing community. If I win the big lotto I'll offer him a million to get his car back on the track :lol: One car that we will sadly never see is the new Danny Boy Apple car.
   I'm a huge fan of all the guys racing out on the salt.  Non of them would have success if they didn't know how to attract quality crew people.

Offline bubruins

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2022, 04:33:40 PM »
Total coincidence I found a podcast called the Hot Rod Blues today and listened to George Poteet himself tell his hot rod story for over an hour and a half. It's obvious he is not the one turning the wrenches these days; but I gained a lot of respect for him by listening.