Author Topic: bike legality  (Read 2530 times)

Offline jim reed

• reedspeedcafracers.com
bike legality
« on: April 21, 2021, 09:32:43 AM »
I sent an inquiry to tech@bonnevillespeedtrials.com 8 days ago and have received no reply. As such I have decided to ask my question here. As I read the chapter 5 rules regarding modified production frames the engine and frame of a motorcycle must be from the same manufacturer. Further limited production, off road and production road racers are legal if produced in numbers less than 500. No mention is made that the engine and frame be from the same model. I am planning to run a Yamaha 350 in the M-AG and M-CG classes. The frame is a raked 1971 R-5 350 street unit with 1971 R-5 cases. The engine is fitted with pre 1981 TZ-350 crank, pistons, cylinder, head, clutch, transmission, ignition system, carbs and pipes . The TZ-350 A & B was produced at approx 250 units per year As I see it the bike is legal for the classes mentioned. Am I correct? If not I'll just run it in the A-AG and A-CG classes.

I chose not to use the TZ chassis and cases because they are rare and valuable. Modifying the frame by raking it and damaging the cases in the event of engine failure will destroy the value of the components. The A & B model TZ-350 frame and the R-5 frame are identical in design the only differences being tubing thickness, bracketry and the TZ has a rectangular section swing arm. The TZ frame is 5lbs lighter than the R-5 frame. The cases are identical except for the front engine mounts and a triangular sheet metal bracket mounted by 3 screws behind the clutch. The TZ front mounts are bored to accept rubberized inserts added to prevent cracking of the frame from the engine being totally solidly mounted as in the R-5. The sheet metal bracket was added to prevent case spread due to the higher hp of the TZ.  There is no performance advantage gained by using the R-5 items.

The swing arm I am using is a modified R-5 unit. The forks and triple tree are TZ-350 units. Wheels are RD-400 items. Rear brake is a TZ unit, seat is a modified Vesco TZ unit, tank is a Suzuki X-6 250 factory rr accessory.

Offline bones

Re: bike legality
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 06:04:11 AM »
Hey Jim
Did you ever get an official reply.
The only problem I see is the water cooled head and cylinder. Cases as you say are the same, possibly has an R5 prefix.
Did you put the extra circlip groves for the roller bearings?
Yamaha made thousands of these bikes. TZ350-B  Eng no  383-991001 to 993000. similar quantities for each model up to 1980.
Maybe only 250 for the US.
You should be able to argue for Modified class

cheers     Bones

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 06:14:05 PM »
Don't get discouraged. When we started building our lakester I asked several questions from the tech person. Still waiting for a answer but it has only been 20 years.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 06:36:22 PM »
Even harder: arguing that permission granted may be relied on.

Offline gowing

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 07:02:55 PM »
I had a similar question concerning a frame and I emailed tech.
It took a while, but Drew answered my question.

Patience and persistence prevailed.

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 01:57:51 PM »
I spent some time over at Del's yesterday helping get equipment ready and asked about this. She said that they have had issues with emails not showing up in the tech@bonnevillespeedtrials.com inbox at times, and suggested resending questions to info@bonnevillespeedtrials.com if you haven't heard back.