Author Topic: DYNOTHON - 2021 - the Landracing.com Fundraiser. We're BAAAACK!  (Read 34583 times)

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Re: DYNOTHON - 2021 - the Landracing.com Fundraiser. We're BAAAACK!
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2021, 07:18:52 AM »
Check them for Slim's pic. first :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2021, 10:29:26 PM »
Welcome to Mark's little corner of Koozebane.
20210614_180420 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

20210614_085721_Burst01 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

It's positive that I know there are two basic personality types in the Dunning-Krueger effect, but just when I thought I had my place on the spectrum plotted, something stupid happens, and I need to reevaluate my position.

After pulling the violated exhaust valve and replacing it, we returned to checking lash on the cam buckets.  Exhaust is supposed to be .010, and going through the lobes we're good until we hit the 3 cylinder, second valve.

.017??!!??!!

I have NO IDEA WHERE THIS CAME FROM, but lodged between the valve and the seat was a small piece of very stiff wire, possibly from a wire brush?

One on one, with friends and colleagues, I'm not above making crude comments. I do make every attempt to read the room before I say something vulgar, and while I've been cuffed in the ear by Kate on a few occasions for speaking my mind, I genuinely try to not air such thoughts in public forums such as this.

But given my level of frustration, I am compelled to proffer this thought in the form of a question which I will not voice an answer to:

What does this thing left of the penny look like to you?

20210614_201900 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

IT was easily accessible from the exhaust port, Mark grabbed it with a pair of needle nose plyers, and I gave the tappet a quick wrap with a socket and a rubber hammer. AGAIN we checked for leakdown and were at ~ 2%. For a freshly reattached head on a cold engine with about an hour of break-in time, that's great.

Back to it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 10:38:40 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2021, 02:49:12 AM »
I assume, given the geography, you are aiming for American rather than British (MG) horsepower: I ask only to determine if my pledge should be pence or cents. I would seriously struggle to build Squeeze of Lemming without this forum.

I also note the engine is growing up and has started to grow public hair in its valvular region.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2021, 07:44:04 AM »

I also note the engine is growing up and has started to grow public hair in its valvular region.

Now that is funny :clap
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline floydjer

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2021, 08:54:42 AM »
It looks like a short piece of wavy shaped small diameter wire . Back to draining Vernor's bottles for my contribution.....
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2021, 09:12:01 AM »
It looks like spring steel to me.  Is it magnetic?  But as it was found in the combustion area (better than if it were found in the oil or sump), it must have either entered thru the intake system or was the remains of a tool or wire brush used in the porting process.  Are there any springs associated with the fuel pump, injectors, or hey, what about that valve that departed the compression gauge?  Didn't it have a spring under the pressure relief button?

Tom

P.S. I just realized that "under the cam bucket shims" means not in the combustion area.  I don't have cam bucket shims in my pushrod motors!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 09:19:05 AM by Koncretekid »
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2021, 09:21:09 AM »
It looks like spring steel to me.  Is it magnetic?  But as it was found in the combustion area (better than if it were found in the oil or sump), it must have either entered thru the intake system or was the remains of a tool or wire brush used in the porting process.  Are there any springs associated with the fuel pump, injectors, or hey, what about that valve that departed the compression gauge?  Didn't it have a spring under the pressure relief button?

Tom

That's Mark's assessment, right there.

Yup - stuck in the zipper . . .

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2021, 09:47:48 AM »
Alien, android pube?  :-P
if so, do not confront them!  :evil:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2021, 03:12:24 PM »
It sure looks like it came off a wire wheel to me. It's a pain when part of the cleaning process becomes an issue.

Good luck the rest of the way Chris!

Pete

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2021, 07:19:24 PM »
AND THE ROVER HAS LEFT THE BUILDING! ! !

:dhorse:

:cheers:

back to it's "home planet", as it were, re-crossing the dreaded "cheddar curtain" . . . . . . .

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 07:21:01 PM by fordboy628 »
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2021, 08:08:01 PM »
Back to draining Vernor's bottles for my contribution.....

My all time favorite ginger ale.

John

Offline floydjer

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2021, 08:46:41 PM »
John....Try boiling sausage in it...yummy. :cheers:....RACING.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2021, 09:15:07 PM »
So was there a number before it left?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2021, 11:04:52 PM »

Yes.   But that is for the midget to post.    I won't steal his "thunder" . . . .
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2021, 11:06:29 PM »
Pony up, boyz!

Indeed there was.

Dynothonresults by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

114.5 hp . . . at 9,500 RPM.

9,500 rpm is where the dyno stopped moving water.

Essentially, we turned a SuperFlow 902 into a Waring Blender.

We're thinking it's a 125 hp engine, but the dyno simply isn't capable of providing water at this RPM and providing reliable results.

Here's a printout of our last few reliable pulls -

Finalpulls by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

I'll point out a few things here - at least as I understand them. I'm certain Mark will join in when his ears stop ringing.

Note the torque curve - it hovers between 63 and 67 ft lbs from 6,300 to 9,500 rpm, and was showing no indications of rolling off any time soon.

Horsepower, of course, is a function of torque and revs - and as long as the torque remains constant or doesn't fall off, as the revs climb, so does the hp.

So what does this mean for our attempt this year?  Well, let's look at what's worked in the past. Mark superimposed the Grenade graph onto the K graph -

GrenadevsKseries by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

We tested in a much narrower range with the old A-Series, and it gave a LOT more torque below 7,000 AND better power numbers - UNTIL 7,800 RPM. That's where air flow and electronic fuel injection start to really show their mettle.

We set the rev limiter at 10,000. It appears that the way we'll need to drive this thing is to just simply wring it out in the lower gears and hope 4th doesn't drop us below what the A-series gave us - the 3-4 is right there in that pocket where the two engines power curves cross.

THANK YOU FOR LETTING US SHARE THIS - it was both frustrating and fun, gut-wrenching and stress relieving. 

And hopefully a financial help to our favorite site on the web!