Author Topic: Harold Bettes  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Harold Bettes
« on: May 17, 2021, 09:28:27 AM »
We have lost another important member of not only the LSR community but in the performance industry as a whole.

Godspeed Harold Bettes, thanks for being a friend & a teacher.

Below is the last conversation I had with Harold in February of this year...

Re: (No subject)Touchng base and comments
? Sent to: Dynoroom on: February 04, 2021, 09:25:46 PM ?ReplyQuoteDelete
Thanks for the heads up Mike. I took a look at the SCTA-BNI site and the Bville records and they have it wrong. Thanks for the clarity.
All of them look doable until one is on the great white dyno of course. :wink:
Will continue to piddle and mix in some hope I can get the junk put together.
Best to you and yours. Stay safe and stay vigilant.
Regards,
HB2
Report To Admin
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Harold Bettes
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 09:42:14 AM »
Harold, may you Rest in Peace in the High Country. :cry:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 09:50:35 AM »
Sorry to hear that! I was just talking to Harold a few weeks ago about his next book and will really miss our annual chats at PRI!
God speed HB - God speed!  :cry:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 10:40:41 AM »
Well crap again... we have lost another friend in our community....
GodSpeed Herold
Our condolences to your close friends and family.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 12:45:12 PM »
Damn, Harold was one of the really good ones. I had several interactions with him over the years and he was always a first class individual who was willing to share.

Rest in peace my friend and my condolences to all who were related to or knew him. He will be missed.

Pete

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 05:30:28 PM »
Geez . . . I am absolutely crushed by this.

Shame is squarely on my shoulders for overlooking this - Harold made himself a friend to me in both word and deed, and our conversations and lunches at the PRI shows are among my most cherished memories I associate with this crazy sport.

One of the GREAT coincidences in my life is that Harold and Mark went way back - I had inadvertently partnered up with a builder who knew Harold well. Harold had shown an interest in, and provided encouragement (along with spare valves and a cutting torch) for this build before my association with Fordboy had been cemented, and that I was able to be in the same room with both of them at the same time is a memory I will cherish.

On page 110 of Harold's book, "Dyno Testing and Tuning", chapter 10 starts out with this sentence -

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."

I attached that quote and the attribution to my profile on this site many years ago, for two reasons:

1. It's true, and
2. I find it kind of funny

It speaks to the improvement process and provides for me a perspective that while not all changes are advancements, continuous work will lead to progress. Problems can be overcome, and progress is the measure of the work one puts in to overcome problems.

I find that perspective poetic, especially coming from a man of science.

When we last talked face-to-face, he said he was working a novel based on his life. I don't know how far he got on it, but I'd love to read about his encounter with members of Buddy Holly's Crickets on the high school football fields of West Texas, and his conversations with Hayden Fry - another hero of mine.

Harold, your time, help and friendship will always be appreciated, and now, sorely missed.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 06:02:58 PM »
I have absolutely no idea how the heck I missed this . . . . .  and just can't forgive myself about it.

Truly, truly a black day for me, for HB2 was my mentor.   It was he who saw something in me, that I only hoped to possess.   And it was Harold who thought me worthy to introduce me to GIANTS of the industry, providing connections and access to those who really knew things.   I owe everything I have become, (well maybe not the insufferable jerk part), to Harold.   Only my father influenced me more, and it is the same profound sense of loss I am feeling today.

ALWAYS the most helpful gentleman, and always ready to provide help, encouragement or direction.   And I know that Harold did this for all those he deemed "worthy".   That's a LOT of careers . . . . . .

Harold's legacy will be that all the engineers he guided and influenced, will also mentor those who follow behind us.   We are unable to "pay it back", and so must "pay it forward".  It is the only way to honor, and pay back someone to whom you owe "everything".

Godspeed sir, and may the fish you find in the next life be sized in pounds, not in inches.

Sadboy
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 06:30:43 PM by fordboy628 »
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fwillyj

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2021, 10:59:27 AM »
---I first met Harold at Frank Parks chassis shop at about 3750 south and about 240 west in SLC Utah
---pretty sure this was about 1976 to 1978  or so

---Harold was on an airplane flight and had a layover from about 4 in the afternoon until the next morning about 4am
---Harold and Frank somehow knew each other so Harold called Frank and told him about the downtime---so Frank drove to the airport and picked Harold up and brought him to the shop

---and Frank called Red Hale and also called me to come over and visit with Harold in an all night bullshit session along with Franks shop helper Rob Weston

---so we sat around and listened to Harold?s stories
---Harold knew EVERYBODY in racing EVERYWHERE---so he had some good stories to tell

---this BS session lasted until about 4am
-------------------------------------------------------------------
---Later on in late 1979 I bought a new #SF202 Superflow SF300 from Superflow's Neal Williams
---and this led to me chatting with Harold a few times about details of the flowbench

---one of those times involved:
---I sent some orifice plates and some venturi pieces I had built and flowtested etc over with Kenny Kloth who went to one of the Superflow ATEC's (Advance Technology Engine Conferences)
---I had called Harold and he said he would flow test them right there in front of Kenny
---I also sent some specific gauges to measure absolute pressure and temperatures for Kenny to make notes of the test conditions