Author Topic: Cracked windshield production class under 200mph  (Read 3510 times)

Offline curtklze

• New folks
Cracked windshield production class under 200mph
« on: May 09, 2021, 05:22:41 PM »
Check the rule book. Doesn't mention cracked windshields. Do inspectors care about cracks in the windshield outside the driver's field of view? 

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Cracked windshield production class under 200mph
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 11:06:52 PM »
Where is the crack in relation to your retaining straps or tabs?
I guess the standard answer is in order... take pictures and contact the tech chair for your class or the chief inspector. 
Don't be surprised if they don't like the cracked windshield... no one likes picking up blown out glass... it slows down racing
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 08:19:50 AM »
I just went through this. Almost 10 years in with my current car, nothing particular happened over the winter with car on a lift. This spring noted a crack that indeed started at retainer strap, went vertical for about 3 inches, made a right angle turn for 5 more. On the passenger side. Windshields are laminated and only the front layer was cracked. I doubt it would have been noticed at tech but...... I asked Steve Davies about it and sent photos. He opined that he though it would get bigger with the "high pressure air" on the windshield. Sooooo. I have a new windshield. If you want to take the chance to be tossed out of tech and have to go try to get it replaced in SLC so you can race, have at it. We felt not worth that risk.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 11:03:24 AM »
The rulebook may not mention anything specific about cracked windshields, but a scrutineer may consider the windshield to be unsafe at his or her discretion. Windshields are not expensive so replace it just to be sure. If you still want to take a chance, drill a stop hole at the end of the crack.

Here is a gotcha within the rulebook"

"Participants are solely responsible for the condition of their machines and their competence to operate them. Participants? machines can have equipment installed, replaced, altered or fabricated, if the rules permit it. However, it is the riders? responsibility to select components, materials and/or fabrication methods so that the machines components shall perform in competition with safety."

So if the scrutineer determines you are not being safe they can require the windshield to be replaced.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline JR529

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 11:29:01 AM »
My windshield cracked on the trailer ride to Speed week about 15 years ago. Not in the drivers line of sight. Changing a windshield on the salt sucks. I recommend you do it before you leave.

Offline curtklze

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 05:48:00 PM »
Just for clarification..... the windshield is a standard double pained laminated windshield that is bonded to the car with eurthane....no tabs or straps as my class record doesn't require it...... speeds are below 150mph.... I will be taking pictures and submitting to the proper people....windshields are not available for my car in north america.... I can't just go get another one.  I'm working on getting one shipped from overseas...but I would prefer to just run my slow car with a cracked windshield and a layer of safety film on it just in case. 

Offline curtklze

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 05:51:05 PM »
My windshield cracked on the trailer ride to Speed week about 15 years ago. Not in the drivers line of sight. Changing a windshield on the salt sucks. I recommend you do it before you leave.

What was your class and class record at that time?

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 07:09:38 AM »
If they say you can't run as is and you can't get a new one here, replace it with lexan or equivalent. Make your own.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 11:46:22 AM »
If no one else here will say it I will.

I wouldn't run a cracked windshield in my personal car/truck at 50 mph let alone 150 or under 200 as you asked. If I was inspecting your "race vehicle" like I did for over 30 years only the Chief Inspector would be the only one allow it in my way of thinking. Then HE would sign your inspection sheet or get someone else. I sure wouldn't. I would not relish the thought of talking to your wife or God forbid the lawyers at a trial that she would hire laying claim to your injuries on our stupidity or negligence. No Thanks.

Does your state allow a cracked windshield...I doubt it.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JR529

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 12:15:56 PM »

What was your class and class record at that time?

Don't remember the existing record speed but I pushed it up to around 160 by the end of the meet. Gas Coupe.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 01:20:45 PM »
I wish they had "likes" on this forum.  On that, I'm with Jimmy Six.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RichFox

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 05:54:49 PM »
Seems as though everyone is telling you "Don't do it."  You just don't want  to hear it. Why ask?

Offline curtklze

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 11:11:04 PM »
Seems as though everyone is telling you "Don't do it."  You just don't want  to hear it. Why ask?

I only want to hear from people that have an actual answer to my specific question.  That's why I added extra information. Maybe guys have failed tech because their cracked windshield was not bonded but gasketed (like old cars used to use)...maybe they failed necause they were running tabs because their class record required it (mine does not) and the  Crack would cause issues. Or maybe a tech inspector may see the post and clarify the rule and just say "No car can run with a cracked windshield"   I'm cool with  putting a new windshield in it if is required to pass tech.... but if it's not required I can spend the $1000.00 on other things.

Offline curtklze

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 11:36:14 PM »
If no one else here will say it I will.

I wouldn't run a cracked windshield in my personal car/truck at 50 mph let alone 150 or under 200 as you asked. If I was inspecting your "race vehicle" like I did for over 30 years only the Chief Inspector would be the only one allow it in my way of thinking. Then HE would sign your inspection sheet or get someone else. I sure wouldn't. I would not relish the thought of talking to your wife or God forbid the lawyers at a trial that she would hire laying claim to your injuries on our stupidity or negligence. No Thanks.

Does your state allow a cracked windshield...I doubt it.

A street car is very different than a race car. The windshield in a newer street car is part of its safety and structure of the vehicle. It's bonded  and helps with airbag deployment..... it won't do anything on a race car with a cage except keep the wind and salt out of your face.  I have personally been driving my street car with a cracked to hell  windshiled  for 2 years at speeds over of 80 mph..... no problems at all. Outter glass is cracked....inner glass is still good.... it's almost as if it was designed to have some kind of safety / redundancy system built into it by having 2 pieces of glass bonded to each other and then bonded to the car.
Racing is a dangerous hobby/sport....people die....there is a rule about no cast flywheels due to safety and as I understand people may have died because of cast fly wheels......if anyone has died because of running with a cracked laminated bonded windshield at less than 200 mph I would hope that the rule book would say "No Cracks are allowed in the windshield"  I will send this to the rules committee to try and get it added to the rule book to prevent future confusion.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2021, 12:16:55 AM »
OK Curt, you heard from several folks that said they had to change their windshield to pass tech.... they are trying to help you, the problem is any issue presented at tech can fail inspection.  So please refer to reply #1 where I told you to take pictures and get a determination from the tech chair or the chief inspector.  One of the other answers mentioned make a new one from Lexan... that is actually an excellent suggestion if they tell you no cracked windshields allowed.  Your old windshield makes a great pattern if it comes out in one piece.
Be aware that Utah is hot in August, and windshield cracks can grow, change direction and do unexpected things in the sun... ask our old push truck... picked up a stone chip in Wyoming on the way out... ran to two edges on the 2nd day, the last day of racing I climbed in and noticed the crack ran to the other side overnight. 
Let us know what the official word is, it might help the next guy with a crack

Added after I read the post you wrote while I was doing mine...
The issue may not be your personal safety... the issue may be if you crack allows your windshield to collapse and pop out... picking up glass delays racing... sometimes for hours... yes that  issue is covered by the tabs and strap rule for cars over 175... Some of us remember picking up glass from the Steam'n Demon... a 150MPH car in the 80s. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 12:18:50 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O