Author Topic: Out of round 300 mph tires  (Read 1183 times)

Offline sdroadster

Out of round 300 mph tires
« on: May 02, 2021, 04:01:44 PM »
Over the winter I bought a new set of 300 mph Goodyear land speed tires from a big time dealer. During our first run at El Mirage this weekend, the transmission popped out of 3rd gear at about 175 mph.. After towing back to the pits my son who is the driver said, there is something bad wrong with the rear end. He said the suspension is pounding. After some looking I discovered our new tires are out of round. I tried to get a measurement with a dial indicator, and it's about .080 lumpy on the right tire, and .050 lumpy on the left. I have heard about truing tires, but there is only .100 tread depth on the tires to start with. This can't be normal. I'm going to call the supplier, but want to be prepared for possible excuses in advance. Have any of you guys experienced out of round racing tires?
I want to add that the wheels have been used previously, and have not demonstrated this problem.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 05:05:43 PM by sdroadster »

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Out of round 300 mph tires
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 07:07:10 PM »
Sounds like you got some Badyears! Did you check runout before you ran them & what the rim runout is?
  Sid.