Author Topic: SpeedWeek Rookie  (Read 9440 times)

Offline bertheath53@gmail.com

• New folks
SpeedWeek Rookie
« on: April 15, 2021, 12:26:50 PM »
I am planning on attending Speed Week in August. I will be there with a brand new Belly Tank Lakester that is currently under construction.
Is there someone who could help me with the orientation of where to be when?  I understand there is a rookie training class I need to attend, As well as a vehicle inspection, in order to run on the salt.
Just looking for a few directions as to the best way to get through the process.

Bert

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: SpeedWeek Rookie
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 01:31:07 PM »
Bert, do you realise that you're embarking on a mission, a way of life, that is kinda like selling your soul to Satan, and we all respond with a

"Come on in!  The water's fine..."
Okay, now that I've said that, you'll likely get a bunch of racers and ya-hoos telling you what to do, where and when to do it, etc.  Most of them will give you good information - and there's lots of it you'll want and need.  Please go to the home page of landracing.com and click on "Tech & FAQs".  Lotsa stuff there, and there are other pages with good info for you.  Send me a PM with specific questions and I'll try to help.  I suspect I'm not the only one of us that'll be glad to help/ 

How many rulebooks have you got on order?  You really oughta to have at least 3 -- one for the shop, one for the coffee table, and one for the back of the toilet.  NOT KIDDING!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 03:01:29 PM »
Type newbie in the search.

These links have useful info.

https://scta-bni.org/bonneville
http://www.saltflats.com/

Welcome to the salt addiction!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 03:58:59 PM »
?How many rulebooks have you got?

You know when people are killing time waiting in a queue or in the waiting room at the dentist or whatever doing stuff on their smart phone; I have a rule book with me.  8-)
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 06:03:51 AM »
You know when people are killing time waiting in a queue or in the waiting room at the dentist or whatever doing stuff on their smart phone; I have a rule book with me.  8-)

But do you wrap around it a two month old National Geographic magazine so you do not get asked questions by those who might stare at you? :-D
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 02:58:53 PM »
Where do you live Bert?  That info in your profile will help.  There are Bonneville racers all over the country that will be willing to talk.  If you have built and equipped to the rulebook your have completed 90% of your requirements.... Inspection starts 2 days before racing and continues through the meet.  Download the car inspection sheet or pre-enter and they will send you one... it covers everything they look for.
Rookie orientation is on the first day of racing and every day after at a specified time.
Lakester rules are the simplest to pass... it's all safety... and no streamlining on the wheels
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 11:10:06 PM »
... no streamlining on the wheels...
Don't mislead the guy into thinking he can't run wheel discs.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 10:16:28 AM »
Jack, wheel discs are not considered streamlining and are allowed in every car class... including streamliner.... 2.G last paragraph
Stainless

Offline bertheath53@gmail.com

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 09:49:20 AM »
Where do you live Bert?  That info in your profile will help.  There are Bonneville racers all over the country that will be willing to talk.  If you have built and equipped to the rulebook your have completed 90% of your requirements.... Inspection starts 2 days before racing and continues through the meet.  Download the car inspection sheet or pre-enter and they will send you one... it covers everything they look for.
Rookie orientation is on the first day of racing and every day after at a specified time.
Lakester rules are the simplest to pass... it's all safety... and no streamlining on the wheels
Live in the Kansas City area. The Belly tank should be completed by July 1.....Need to do some test runs.....Headed to Bonneville Aug 3, It's about a two day drive.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 10:58:34 AM »
Good luck with finding a spot for test runs... unless you can make one of the mile venues or live in the country  :roll:
There are 2 lakesters running out of the Wichita area... What class are you planning... You should shoot some pics and put them in a build diary.  It is amazing what some folks are able to see in the pictures.  We are all LSR info whores and junkies here... so do what you can to help with our addiction.  I completed a lakester build in time to race last year... It is in the build diary section Bockscar 2.0.... with a lot of other lakesters and builds.... if you haven't already looked at what others are doing you should... lots of ideas out there. 
I think the biggest thing that can trip up a build is the roll cage... now required to protect for 360 degrees... although by the time you build the frame, you almost already have that protection built in.
I occasionally get to KC and I think John Goodman (ggl205) has family there... so if you want a second set of eyes at some point PM some contact info.
Good Luck and see you on the salt  :cheers:
Stainless