Author Topic: 1st year at salt procedures  (Read 2383 times)

Offline jim reed

• reedspeedcafracers.com
1st year at salt procedures
« on: April 09, 2021, 10:07:00 PM »
Having never been to the speed trials what are the first day procedures? What time do things start? At the end of a run do I have to tow my bike back or can I ride it back? Will my health insurance qualify as rider insurance or do I have to buy special insurance? Where do I get a log book and the medical form I need to fill out.

Offline gowing

Re: 1st year at salt procedures
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 10:11:38 PM »

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 12:15:22 AM »
Hello Jim,
Usually the first day of the meet is for tech inspection, registration, pit set up. Then racing starts 7-8 am the next day. You can ride your bike to and from the start and finish lines or trailer your bike. That is your choice. I always trailer since I don't want to be sitting on a bike in the sun for hours at a time waiting to run. I just sit in the air conditioned truck.  You do not need to buy special insurance, but the application form does ask for your medical insurance info.

The application form to participate have not been available yet. Expect that in a few weeks. There is no requirement for a log book, that is STCA stuff. Just go on the BMST speed trials website and download the rule book (last years is there, but not this years).

See you there!

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline jim reed

• reedspeedcafracers.com
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 02:44:15 PM »
Thanks all for the info. Very helpful.

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 01:29:20 PM »
When you roll up to the boat ramp (entry to the salt) you will stop and get your paperwork and wristband for entry. When you get out to the salt, find a spot to set up your pit. Pitting next to someone who looks like a regular can be very helpful, everyone is very friendly. Once you have your spot set up, head to the registration trailer. You fill out forms, turn them back in and get info on the rookie orientation meeting. Very useful meeting, you will get a tour of the staging areas and the course so you know where to go. Tech inspection begins on the first day. Very long line, usually in the hot sun. Also very interesting to see all the bikes and get to know folks. That said I tend to wait for the first day of racing (i.e., the second day) to tech my bike to avoid the line. If you are running in a gas class you will want to buy gas next and get your tank sealed. Bring a large wad of cash. It's hugely expensive for the fuel guys to come out and sell the piddling few gallons that fill the moto tanks out there. I paid $50 a gallon for A8D last time.

I bring my truck out to staging because I have a shop with all my tools in it, but you don't need to. Truck does not chase, I ride to staging and back to the pits/impound as do most racers. There are popups for shade, chairs and water at the starting line.

One of my favorite tips - if you wear one piece leathers bring a belt. That way you can take off the top half of your leathers to stay cool without your pants falling around your ankles.

Best time to run for a record is the very start of the day. The air is cool and dense. Plan on getting up in the dark and getting to the salt by 6:30-7 if you think you can qualify. Other than that the pace is very relaxed. There is plenty of time to walk around and look at other bikes and meet other racers.

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 01:48:52 PM »
I love the tip about the belt! I'm going to remember that.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 03:12:42 PM »
Credit to Chris Vetter for that one. Genius. No more walking around holding up mah drawers with both hands.