Author Topic: The Porkchop Express -- 1997 Chevy S-10  (Read 7194 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: The Porkchop Express -- 1997 Chevy S-10
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2021, 04:28:54 AM »
The wonderful thing about that rear end is you can get used toresons for your 28 spline and gears down to 2.14 that is what we run in our lakester  behind a 565 BBC and this year we are running and early Hemi on straight pour Pop
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline MikeVanErt

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2021, 07:42:48 AM »
Great information, thank you.  I never really thought about keeping the current rear end and upgrading the internals.  Aside from them not being very strong, I don't know much about them or the aftermarket for them.  The road race guy in me always assumed I would be upgrading to something that can handle some power, like a Ford 9".  Looks like upgrading that stock rear would certainly be the more affordable option.  Certainly something to consider.  What modifications have you made to the rear end in your lakester?   

The wonderful thing about that rear end is you can get used toresons for your 28 spline and gears down to 2.14 that is what we run in our lakester  behind a 565 BBC and this year we are running and early Hemi on straight pour Pop

Offline sabat

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2021, 10:35:31 AM »
Excellent progress. Reading the car build diaries always makes me thankful I'm a bike guy, we have it pretty easy. Good luck  :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2021, 12:13:38 AM »
none just went with the  9" ends to comply with getting rid of the c clips and "big Ford ball bearing and new axles for them that had 28 splines---

remember at B'ville-- hardly and shock loads-- we ran a PG with a Gear Vendor and no torque converter--- Now we run a liberty 5 speed in front of the GV and make sure that we almost completely release the the clutch before we up shift   ie
PCB traction control  we go with drum brakes to eliminate the drag
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline MikeVanErt

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2021, 11:32:39 AM »
Thank you sir!  Being a truck guy, I certainly don't envy you bike guys.  I've yet to make a pass on the salt but I already have a healthy appreciation for how difficult it is.  Can't imagine only doing it on two wheels. 

Excellent progress. Reading the car build diaries always makes me thankful I'm a bike guy, we have it pretty easy. Good luck  :cheers:

Offline MikeVanErt

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2021, 11:45:46 AM »
Excellent information, thank you!

none just went with the  9" ends to comply with getting rid of the c clips and "big Ford ball bearing and new axles for them that had 28 splines---

remember at B'ville-- hardly and shock loads-- we ran a PG with a Gear Vendor and no torque converter--- Now we run a liberty 5 speed in front of the GV and make sure that we almost completely release the the clutch before we up shift   ie
PCB traction control  we go with drum brakes to eliminate the drag

Offline fissionspeed

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2021, 08:28:49 PM »
Sweet! I'll be following along as I hope to build an S-10 myself, for D/FMMP  :cheers:

Offline MikeVanErt

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2021, 09:35:32 PM »
Sweet! I'll be following along as I hope to build an S-10 myself, for D/FMMP  :cheers:

Very cool!  Never see enough mini trucks out there IMO.  Are you going to start with the USFRA 130 and 150 MPH Clubs or are you going to go straight to class racing?  You find a truck yet?  What are your plans for the D motor?  4.8 LS?  4.3 V6?  What about fuel?  You just going to run non event fuel or are you headed down the alcohol, nitro or nitrous path?

Once you get going, start a build thread so I can follow progress!

-Mike 

Offline fissionspeed

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2021, 01:59:24 AM »

>Are you going to start with the USFRA 130 and 150 MPH Clubs or are you going to go straight to class racing?
I dunno! Haven't really thought that far out. I definitely want to take as many trips to the salt as possible.

>You find a truck yet?
Not yet! A couple nice contenders. Torn between not wanting to do bodywork and not wanting to ruin a cherry example.

>What are your plans for the D motor?  4.8 LS?  4.3 V6?  What about fuel?  You just going to run non event fuel or are you headed down the alcohol, nitro or nitrous path?
I'm thinking 4.8 LS. I've never built a motor before, but I've had the heads off an LS or two and I've done most of my reading on that platform. As for fuel, I'm dying to use some percentage of nitro methanol mix. It's just as cool as it gets. Very swamped by all the science though, been doing a lot of reading.

>Once you get going, start a build thread so I can follow progress!
You bet! I intend to start soon. Got a lot to learn and you never know how long the salt will last.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2021, 11:18:21 AM »
For what it's worth- I wouldn't start off running on nitro. Walk before you run.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2021, 01:54:27 PM »
I agree.  A lot easier to start with 100% (alcohol) and get a good base line before adding the killer stuff.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline fissionspeed

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2021, 02:19:59 PM »
Definitely going to get a handle on alky first!

Offline MikeVanErt

• New folks
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2021, 08:29:08 PM »

>Are you going to start with the USFRA 130 and 150 MPH Clubs or are you going to go straight to class racing?
I dunno! Haven't really thought that far out. I definitely want to take as many trips to the salt as possible.

>You find a truck yet?
Not yet! A couple nice contenders. Torn between not wanting to do bodywork and not wanting to ruin a cherry example.

>What are your plans for the D motor?  4.8 LS?  4.3 V6?  What about fuel?  You just going to run non event fuel or are you headed down the alcohol, nitro or nitrous path?
I'm thinking 4.8 LS. I've never built a motor before, but I've had the heads off an LS or two and I've done most of my reading on that platform. As for fuel, I'm dying to use some percentage of nitro methanol mix. It's just as cool as it gets. Very swamped by all the science though, been doing a lot of reading.

>Once you get going, start a build thread so I can follow progress!
You bet! I intend to start soon. Got a lot to learn and you never know how long the salt will last.

Not sure if you have been to the salt before, but, I would DEFINITELY recommend going.  I have been to the last four USFRA September events and I have absolutely loved every minute of each of them.  It certainly got me the bug, especially seeing the 130 MPH and 150 MPH Club cars.  I'm hoping to have mine done and ready for 130 MPH next year.  You should find an S-10 with a 4.3 and buy the turbo kit for a Syclone/Typhoon and come join me in the lanes!  The 4.8 is a good running motor (seems like all the LS engines are/can be).  I'm using a pair of ported heads off of a 4.8 for my 6.0!  I would love to eventually get some exposure to alcohol and/or nitro, but, I'm gonna start with nitrous and we'll see what kind of fun I can have with that stuff. 

Offline MikeVanErt

• New folks
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2021, 09:40:30 PM »
Been awhile since I updated progress, but, have been slowly moving forward.  Lost some time with radiator hose fitment issues and battling a fix and my radiator ending up in COVID jail.  Finally got it back and got to work on getting it re-fit today.  Made a radiator cover today that covers the ugly open top of my radiator and secures it to the core support.  Will need some final clean-up and then paint once the truck comes back apart.  Was able to build my upper and lower radiator hoses out of 16AN hose and finish routing my steam lines back into my radiator.  Next will come the 6 AN lines for my trans and engine oil coolers.

Other progress not pictured:  Got my Edelbrock Victor Jr intake manifold in and resting on the engine.  Gonna wait until I get my carb spacer and air cleaner to bolt it down so I can set my hood clearance and see what I need to cut.  I bought a pair of ported 706 casting heads as well.  They have oversized intake valves and 60cc combustion chambers, so I should be close to 11:1 with the stock LQ9 pistons that are going in the re-build.  The flow data that I received with them show them flowing a little less on the intake side and a little more on the exhaust side than factory LS7 heads.  While my radiator was in COVID jail I also managed to switch gears to my trailer and get it ready to tow the truck to Bonneville, to include a custom built tongue box with internal air compressor and spare tire mount and a remote controlled electric winch.  Trailer needs the deck repainted, which will be done in the spring and then she is ready to haul to Bonneville. 

Should see my 130/150 MPH Club tires (175/65R15 up front and 215/75R15 in the rear--both V Series) in the next day or two so hopefully next picture update will be with the new tires and wheels that are ready for Moon caps.     
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 09:59:43 PM by MikeVanErt »

Offline MikeVanErt

• New folks
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2021, 08:46:16 AM »
New shoes are finally in, balanced, mounted and installed on the truck.  I threw the mounting template I have for the Moon Discs on the front to get a better picture of what she is going to look like.  Now that ride height is set the work begins on altering the factory hood for clearance, getting the new front end unboxed and installed and building a front air dam.  Only thing left to do after that is to finish building the oil and trans cooler lines and wiring up the electric fans for the radiator and the two coolers and then the engine and trans will be ready to come out for re-build. 

Will continue to update progress as it comes...