Author Topic: Who's got the best body?  (Read 10038 times)

Offline gowing

Re: Who's got the best body?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2021, 04:19:08 PM »
I hear them new Teslas are pretty aerodynamic.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2021, 11:09:07 PM »
Yea but their motors sound like dog whistles  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2021, 02:12:34 PM »
I agree with the Firebird being one of the most aero cars out there, they are pointed in the front and put the air back together at the rear. As for the studebaker it's lines are almost the same as a 70s Camaro except for the angle and of the back window.  I had 71 Camaro so that's what I went with . Isn't there somewhere online that has the Drag coefficient of many new cars along with frontal area ?

Offline RansomT

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 10:39:13 PM »
at a cost that doesn't break the bank ....a newer Prius and/or the Kia Optima with the hybrid aero package....both right under 0.24 cd.

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2021, 11:14:16 AM »
I still have the 2000 Honda Insight, ran G/BGT a few years back, currently (Pun) hopefully in early stages of conversion to BEV racer.
I chose that car as it is the most Aero efficient production ICE /hybrid ever built. And light <1800lbs
93 in WB, so inherently stable up to over 200, at least.
Check out....https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/aerohpcalc.html...gives you a base on vehicle potential.
E power for my car is based on wind-up, do have a large Key, may need a large crew for Bonneville.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2021, 02:51:31 PM »
See if you can enter the course at the 1.  Tow it backwards to the starting line and then cut it loose.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2021, 12:30:25 AM »
Thanks for the mental picture and chuckle!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline salt27

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2021, 01:59:21 AM »
See if you can enter the course at the 1.  Tow it backwards to the starting line and then cut it loose.

Does anyone remember "Twister"?
What I remember was a very nicely done rubber band powered lakester that was in the pits at Bonneville, I'm guessing just for the fun of it.

I have a picture but can't find it right now.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2021, 07:23:19 AM »
Wasn't the rubber band car a Ron Main brainfart-I-mean brainstorm?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2021, 10:37:43 AM »
YEP.....but I have a problem with the word STORM....... :oops:

Wasn't the rubber band car a Ron Main brainfart-I-mean brainstorm?
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline KATIE

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2021, 02:08:22 PM »
The class that I'm looking at is /CFALT, , , I think. But would like to learn more about the Studebakers "rear lift" problems, and how they've been dealt with.  Are step pans, belly pans, strake devices allowed? I can't find where it says they're not. But I don't really know the intent of the rule?

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2021, 03:21:22 PM »
I assume you have a rule book. Altered, whether classic or not, require one or more of these: Step pan, engine set back, front converted to rear wheel drive or covered grill and/or headlights. Belly pan and strakes are not allowed =steamlining and are OK for Comp Coupe. Stretch ( 2%) in front of cowl is allowed. Spoiler( not wing) and air dam allowed. Roof rails if over 200. There are some other more minor rules spelled out in the Modified and Altered sections.
Generally I'd say rear lift is managed with rear spoiler though front dam may have some effect as well. Lower the car and keep air from under it.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2021, 05:59:13 PM »
Katie, send a PM to "One Run" Bob Drury to talk about Studebakers... He has a fast one...  and information.... he is full of it.... and he has information  :?  :laugh:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2021, 07:33:47 PM »
Well, I don't remember him having the "Best Body", but he does know Studies and is fun to talk to.

Just a comment . . . I, poisonly, think one needs to make a general goal in Land Racing.  You want in the 2-Club.  You want to go a certain speed.  You want a Bonneville record.  You want to have the world's fastest LaSalle.  You want to see how fast the car you've had for 20 years will go.

Singularly, each of these is a legitimate goal.  But it's hard to make them necessarily into the same vehicle and succeed.  It can happen, but deciding what you really want to do sometimes makes the others inaccessible.

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2021, 12:52:06 AM »
The class that I'm looking at is /CFALT, , , I think. But would like to learn more about the Studebakers "rear lift" problems, and how they've been dealt with.  Are step pans, belly pans, strake devices allowed? I can't find where it says they're not. But I don't really know the intent of the rule?

The San Chez Stude had air vents below the rear window. You can see they come from below the car.

They flipped the QC so that the drivetrain was above the floor

Maybe the time I spent reading Hot Rod in study hall wasn't a total waste of time  :-)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 01:00:05 AM by Beef Stew »
Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.