Author Topic: Who's got the best body?  (Read 10041 times)

Offline KATIE

• New folks
Who's got the best body?
« on: March 25, 2021, 06:54:50 AM »
I'm new to all of this , so please bare with me. It would appear that AERO is just as important as power. But when using a stock, unaltered body, which would be the best one to start out with. I find it amazing that the 1953 Studebaker holds so many records. And what makes "The Beast", 500, So, so fast?

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Who's got the best body?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 11:28:26 AM »
I was going to post a picture of the very young Anita Ekberg (hey, she had the best body when I was young) but I thought I'd let someone else go first.  :evil:
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 01:01:56 PM »
 :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 03:13:33 PM »
Hey, boys,

I think this question was serious.

- about the Beast....the answer is simple.....sheer engine power.....

- about Studebaker....be aware the most of this Studebaker record holder were bodywise not anymore in the original street shape.....
  more or less slightly modified inside the rules of the class they run

- for a production body class....it's not only the outside shape of the body
- it's also how the air goes through the body....means...the air which goes through the front end inside the engine compartment and how can this air escape
- it's also how the air can go under the body...and here not only the floor panels....through to the rearend of the car

- another issue, aerodynamic devices which can be added to the body to the rules of the class
- some body can gain a big advantage from so devices....other nearly nothing....

- finally modifications on the power unit...here not the increase on power.....it's the question, did the rules allowed to change the position of the engine...
  the change of the center of gravity has also a influence of the areodynamic performance

So, to make a general conclusion that body A is better than body B isn't possible.....it depends on the overall package by the rule book....

an example...there is very popular production car on the salt.....his headlights are from aerodynamic view a nightmare...but there are tranparent plastic cover over this headlights for this verhicle available.....
which creates a big improvement....
....well.....for normal street traffic they are allowed for all versions of the car....
under the salt rule book only a couple versions the use is allowed....reason....for the most versions this headlights cover were not OEM parts.....

no OEM registration....no use....

now with this short information a proper discussion can start...... :-D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 03:15:53 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 03:53:40 PM »
But Anita has at least two points of interest that we have not (un-) covered!  :roll:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 06:37:07 PM »
How fast would the beast go if that engine was in a Vega or Monza? How straight would it go? Most newer cars are more areo than older cars. What do you have. Or can afford to get? What do you like? What engine? How fast?

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 07:50:49 PM »
And what makes "The Beast", 500, So, so fast?     6000 pounds, 6000 HP, 60 years.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 09:25:24 PM »
and don't forget 60# solid Brass ones...
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 11:12:10 PM »
Look at Monza Vega anything with a smaller frontal area, also important is how the air is put back together at rear of car. A slopped windshield also comes into play. A front air dam blocked off grill also helps.  A chev Lumina is also a little more aero than others. Getting the car lowered to the ground also is more aero. It's called a aero package. Hope this helps.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 03:51:54 PM »
Here's, hopefully a picture of a Monza that has no added aero devices except for the factory GT add-ons (you gotta use them all -- sometimes, I guess, the factory got 'em right).  In 1992 Steve Batchelor set both the Bonneville and El Mirage C/CFALT records at 243 and 213.  And they're still standing 29 years later.

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline KATIE

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 07:42:24 AM »
Sorry, , , Guess I should have known better. When I asked at the local "Bench Race" session I got Bambi, Candy, Tiffany, Amber Lynn, Tammy Lynn, Mandy Lynn, Jenny Lynn, etc. They went on for hours.
  But my question was serious. It seems that most unexperienced racers follow the approach of "Monkey see, monkey do". We copy the fastest car, then think that we can improve upon it , to make it faster. I'm thinking that I had read somewhere that the "Beast" was the fastest "Stock Bodied" car. I have looked at the Monza body, but at 200 MPH the shorter wheelbase was not as attractive. And we often build with what we have, and with the leaves off the trees right now, , I spied an old Silver Hawk in the woods not far from our shop. I've also been skimming the 2020 Rules and Record book.  The /CFALT category seems interesting to me.
And although I've read some of the rules I'm still not sure what's allowed. such as step pan, belly pan, strake, and the "Beast" seems to have miles of engine set-back. 
  So I guess that its obvious that I'm looking for specific info on the "Beast" so that I can start with one like it, , , and then try to make it better?  if that's even possible??? 
   Thanks for the info that you've given me so far,  KATIE

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 08:23:50 AM »
The third and 4th generation Pontiac Firebird, particularly in Trans Am trim are very good and have been quite successful. And hold many records from high 200's to over 300mph. I had one with 170mph speed with NA 2L power (G class). I moved to a smaller area body which supposedly had similar Cd and slowed down with same engine. Eventually got that to 176 with trans and some engine changes still G class, and then to 195 with engine change, still G gas unblown. Something about the 'Bird really worked well.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline DallasV

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2021, 12:39:50 PM »
Sorry, , , Guess I should have known better. When I asked at the local "Bench Race" session I got Bambi, Candy, Tiffany, Amber Lynn, Tammy Lynn, Mandy Lynn, Jenny Lynn, etc. They went on for hours.
  But my question was serious. It seems that most unexperienced racers follow the approach of "Monkey see, monkey do". We copy the fastest car, then think that we can improve upon it , to make it faster. I'm thinking that I had read somewhere that the "Beast" was the fastest "Stock Bodied" car. I have looked at the Monza body, but at 200 MPH the shorter wheelbase was not as attractive. And we often build with what we have, and with the leaves off the trees right now, , I spied an old Silver Hawk in the woods not far from our shop. I've also been skimming the 2020 Rules and Record book.  The /CFALT category seems interesting to me.
And although I've read some of the rules I'm still not sure what's allowed. such as step pan, belly pan, strake, and the "Beast" seems to have miles of engine set-back. 
  So I guess that its obvious that I'm looking for specific info on the "Beast" so that I can start with one like it, , , and then try to make it better?  if that's even possible??? 

I think the fastest stock bodied car is probably Larry Lindsley driving the Leggett-Lindsley Firebird. it was like 308 in the first measured mile. I watched that run and it looked very violent and completely awesome.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 02:46:24 PM »

I think the fastest stock bodied car is probably Larry Lindsley driving the Leggett-Lindsley Firebird. it was like 308 in the first measured mile. I watched that run and it looked very violent and completely awesome.
McDonald and Pitts had them by 0.566mph.  :-D Also Kugel\LeFevers at 300.07. I think those are all gen 4. John Rains with gen 3 and a D car at 283. Also Gary Eaker in 1989 went 295 or so on gasoline (but in the fuel class with N2O blowing into the intercoolers- but not engine). All firebirds. Undoubtedly more out there but point is, yes, aero is important.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2021, 02:55:38 PM »
If you put enough horsepower on a brick it will go fast... (see 911 roadster)  but if you are closer to a budget kind of person old Firebirds are fairly cheap and lots cheaper than top fuel motors. 
Old Studebakers have a rear lift issue that must be dealt with at speed... vents.... ballast... depends on class you are running what you can do
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O