Author Topic: Periscope? 😳  (Read 6203 times)

Offline gschuld

Re: Periscope? 😳
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 02:26:50 PM »
This is all prettying enlightening.  I would have thought that vibrations alone would make seeing through a 2 mirror periscope rather difficult.  The periscope must have been bike mounted...on vibration isolator mounts of some sort?

There is a significant difference between helmet rotated up and down when it comes to airflow over the helmet and top the riders back when the rider is down flat enough of an angle to have a chance of airflow making it down the back as opposed to going fully turbulent past the shoulders with no aero humps allowed in AMA modified.

The open class Harley pic is impressive from an aero perspective.  I guess he follows the ?yidey, yidey, look for line, yidey? concept.😉

At 150mph there is around 25 seconds in the timed mile. 

I?d guess several mph difference from head up to head down.  So several seconds with head down followed by 2 seconds to check line, repeat is a benefit if you can pull it off.

SCTA uses the center line and AMA BMST doesn?t correct?

I?ve watched about every front facing run video I can find from
BMST.  Even on those with good vibration control, I struggled to see the markers until I was within about half the distance from them.  I?m sure first hand eyesight would have a clearer vision.

On other videos with a center line it seemed far easier to keep track.  Is there a reason BMST doesn?t mark out a center line?  Additional time/cost I imagine.  I really respect the hard work of all the volunteers FWIW.

George
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 01:57:09 PM by gschuld »

Offline DRW

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 07:42:35 PM »
Every Year after BMST ,I look at Scooters Photos and See this kind of tuck, Then I see mine ,And Im embarassingly NOT tucked ,At 6'3" on a small tight bike its tough,Unless, Like in the photo I just look straight down like the guy in the Photo,  Im impressed, But cant do it ????????
Doesnt Mean That Much To me, To Mean That Much To You !

Offline FreakhouseCustoms

• Freakhouse Customs Channel
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2021, 05:14:16 PM »
What?  HAHA!  You guys don't recognize the 2019 BMST Rider of the Year? 
 :cheers:
That's Skylar Albrecht, a greater guy you'd be hard-pressed to meet!

Skylar on the left, below.

What's funny is that, his day job is deep-sea/underwater welding!  So I'm pretty sure he's used to doing stuff that's mentally and physically taxing with very limited visibility.  The photo of him on the Salt was, no doubt, on his way to securing the AMA 1350-M-CG record at 144.867 in 2019.  What you can't see is that he's only running the left-hand fuel tank.  He purposefully removed the right-hand tank JUST so he could fit his head in there for The Tuck.
 :?

Great times & I can't wait to get back to Bonneville!!!

The Juggernaut: Dual-Engine Yamaha FJ2400
Watch the build on The Freakhouse Customs Channel

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2021, 04:33:32 PM »
George...........secondary vision devices have been banned for a few years. Yes, I saw Tom Mellor's periscope but when tech heard of it he was asked to remove it. Also note that the 1350cc M-CG record is not much faster than the 750cc M-CG record. I too would like to get my head down......just like your supposed to do when stroking a golf-ball.........but I like to see where I am going :wink:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre