Author Topic: Periscope? 😳  (Read 6202 times)

Offline gschuld

Periscope? 😳
« on: February 18, 2021, 12:00:40 PM »
I?m struggling to see how someone could see clearly enough through a periscope on a vibrating 50 year old engined Triumph at 200mph.

Tom Mellor?s record setting vintage Triumph

George

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: Periscope? 😳
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 06:32:07 PM »
" Clear forward vision is way overrated "
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline gschuld

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 08:56:13 PM »
And then there is this one. 

Using the dark side of the force I guess.

George

Offline gowing

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 10:15:54 PM »
^  cool pic !

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 11:44:37 AM »
If there is a center or side line to see and you can stay close to it why would you need to look where you are going.... there is nothing out there to hit.... The rules don't say you have to keep your head up... they just say you have to keep your hands on the bars... somewhere....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline desotoman

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 01:04:02 PM »

If there is a center or side line to see and you can stay close to it why would you need to look where you are going.... there is nothing out there to hit....

Stainless, as I recall SSS would disagree with you on that statement.  :wink: muutt

Tom G.   :-D
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 02:27:02 PM »
In any rookie orientation I ever attended the driver/rider was always told eyes out ahead not in the car or on bike!   :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 03:08:30 PM »
More realistically (than when I hit the mile marker) - - when riding the naked bike there was, indeed, one heck of a breeze in my face at speed, so I tried looking to the side to watch the black line (this was a few years ago) so I could get my helmet more outa the breeze.

I found it difficult to aim the bike properly - - I'd wander back and forth, side to side.  I'll guess it was me oversteering.  I never did get comfy with that style of looking where I was going.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 05:04:17 PM »
It's very apparent he was just checking for oil leaks.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline speedrattle

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 09:46:06 PM »
i ride a vibrating old triumph as well, naked class, on concrete. to get my head down i put it behind the left fork tube, so one eye looks to the left side and the other through the middle.

about halfway the vibration gets strong enough that i see two runways, so i generally close one eye so as not to overwhelm my brainpower.

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 10:01:18 PM »
Dammit now I am going to spend the whole evening thinking about a VR display in my helmet.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 11:42:59 PM »
More realistically (than when I hit the mile marker) - - when riding the naked bike there was, indeed, one heck of a breeze in my face at speed, so I tried looking to the side to watch the black line (this was a few years ago) so I could get my helmet more outa the breeze.

I found it difficult to aim the bike properly - - I'd wander back and forth, side to side.  I'll guess it was me oversteering.  I never did get comfy with that style of looking where I was going.

Jon, your brain is trained to look where you are going... most folks can't "not look" but a lot of successful record holders can and have.  Smaller is faster...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 10:01:34 AM »
Yep - I understand (sorta) the "trained brain" stuff of which you talk.  I was attempting to learn to look to the side but never got very good at it.  If I remember -- the guy that offered the side-looking idea (he was a racer that had managed to set a record or two and probably could be counted as successful) was Steve Guthrie (or was his name Sam, or maybe it was Scott). lol8 lol8 :naughty
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 07:09:41 AM »
I?m struggling to see how someone could see clearly enough through a periscope on a vibrating 50 year old engined Triumph at 200mph.

Tom Mellor?s record setting vintage Triumph

George

I think Tom Mellor abandoned the periscope idea. He has, as I have, gone around the wrong side of the sideline markers in the past.  I have a run ticket that shows I was doing 145 mph in the timed mile, but I got no kpm number, if you can figure that out.

As Wobblywalrus advised me, the best idea is to memorize the horizon before you leave the starting line, or at AMA as you are approaching the early sideline markers. Floating mountain in the distance has distinctive features so you pick the point or valley that is lined up with the course and keep your eyes on it.  Of course, if you exceed the record at AMA, you will have to make a return run in the opposite direction and there ain't nothing to memorize going back. Worry about that after you have successfully exceeded the down run record!

Tom

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Online Tonerjockey

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 01:10:44 PM »
I had a buddy that tried a periscope on his Streamliner motorcycle. Jack told me it worked OK until it broke at speed.
I've abandoned that idea and use the "hidey hidey... look at the line look at the line... hidey hidey" process.

Alex
750cc P-PP (73 Guzzi V7 Sport - Porco Rosso)
50cc SC  (Weed Whacker)
100cc SC  (Heat Lightning)