Author Topic: Drive by Wire  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Dodge Brother

• TS Coachworks
Drive by Wire
« on: February 17, 2021, 01:16:27 AM »
I'm assuming that someone out there must be running a drive by wire set up rather than a mechanical throttle their car.
I just picked up a complete LS as a core and thought I might utilize the drive by wire set up but there is no provision for a throttle return spring, has anyone run into this and what was the solution?
Thanks
Trevor

Offline MRK

Re: Drive by Wire
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 06:05:15 PM »
I'm assuming that someone out there must be running a drive by wire set up rather than a mechanical throttle their car.
I just picked up a complete LS as a core and thought I might utilize the drive by wire set up but there is no provision for a throttle return spring, has anyone run into this and what was the solution?
Thanks
Trevor

The WGB 369 Roadster is a drive by wire vehicle. Get ahold of Mike Manghelli. His contact information is on page #208 of the 2020 rule book.
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline Dodge Brother

• TS Coachworks
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 09:43:20 PM »
The WGB 369 Roadster is a drive by wire vehicle. Get ahold of Mike Manghelli. His contact information is on page #208 of the 2020 rule book.
Thanks, I'll get in touch with him.

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 09:38:04 PM »
Thanks, I'll get in touch with him.

When the Ford guys were building the Fusion Fuel cell car, we used an Econoline throttle pedal.  They didn't understand, but I made them put 2 return springs on the pedal.  It seemed kind of silly, but better than spending half a day in tech debating. 
Rick

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 09:40:34 PM »
Great post!!!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dodge Brother

• TS Coachworks
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 01:38:48 AM »
When the Ford guys were building the Fusion Fuel cell car, we used an Econoline throttle pedal.  They didn't understand, but I made them put 2 return springs on the pedal.  It seemed kind of silly, but better than spending half a day in tech debating.
Makes sense actually, re-reading the rule book it does not say the double return springs need to be on the butterfly valve, even though that's where we'd typically put them.

Offline Dodge Brother

• TS Coachworks
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 12:55:25 AM »
Received an answer from Mike Manghelli, due to the nature of DBW throttles, they are exempt form the requiring the double throttle return springs.  :clap

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 01:08:25 PM »
I guess I just gotta tell it . . .

Years ago while in Tech with my then record-holding Street Roadster, I had a well-known veteran Inspector walk up to take charge. 

He just circled the vehicle and finally said, "Is this a new vehicle?"  No, and I pointed to the dash with the 4 or 5 Red Record Tags on it.

"Just reach in and push the throttle pedal all the way to the floor . . . now release it.  That sounds like 2 return springs."  No, that sounds like 3 return springs.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records