Author Topic: Streamliner Design  (Read 31590 times)

Offline John Clutch

Re: Streamliner Design
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2021, 11:24:04 AM »
Two things to be aware of in the design process with a lay-down position in a liner, many helmets aren't open enough at the bottom to allow forward vision & the head & neck restraint choice is also limited.
  Sid.

Thanks Kiwi. Yes, I was aware of these points when I purchased the helmet. Hopefully the Racequip Pro20 will work. As far as the Hans, looks like most claim a 10 to 40 degree adjustment on them. Ultimately the finished design will be based on these points and Im months away from atleast having a solid direction to go in. I really appreciate the support from you guys.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2021, 09:25:50 PM »
I ended up with a Zamp helmet & a Simpson Hybrid Pro Rage in my liner. The chin of the helmet is on my chest & the Pro Rage without that forward part of the horse collar allows it to work for me. I'm so far down there that my eye level is only 18" above ground level & it's a 4WD liner.
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2021, 10:44:11 AM »
Yes and to SS point go look at the new Mitsubishi jet plane and the latest Jap bullet trains or a loon. great entry shapes
 I suggested the rear for several reasons---CHUTE stability and loading and unloading  the more I kept aero cleaning my cars up in the rear   the better my chutes fly.

Also I dont detect much rake  you may want to read up on that a little bit most recoment 2-3 deg. if I remember correctly
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 10:46:38 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2021, 10:53:17 AM »
To KIWI point the chin of the helmet will rest on your chest HARD  and you may have to be creative  we have had to be
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2021, 04:06:42 PM »
The outpour of support via emails is amazing and I really appreciate it. Im lost in a sea of information as some emails I wasnt expecting and other.....Im not exactly sure who its from lol. I apologize as emails is not my main means of contacting but that looks like its about to change.

Thanks a lot!!!!

Clutch

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2021, 04:54:44 AM »
As far as salt build up, how much room should I leave inside the wheelwells? I was thinking 3" overall.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2021, 07:47:13 AM »
Back in the middle '80's somewhere Don Garlits showed up on the salt with a streamliner. Don't recall how fast he went. My son and his cousin, then aged 12ish and having seen my car and understood your  question wandered by to see what they were up to. They inspected tire clearance to body work and opined in the hearing of some crew member (who seemed to have taken lessons from Don who I understand was not the nicest of guys) that the tires were going to rub. That got them a "get out of here you stupid kids" sort of comment. After a run or two they wandered back to see what was up and low and behold the same guy was there with some tin snips cutting away body work for more clearance....... :cheers: :dhorse: :clap

The tires grow, some more than others, no matter the rating. Body work is more a problem than salt and I can tell you from experience that 3/4-1" even with 350mph rated M/T tires is not enough LOL> Belly pan is the spot where likely clearance is closest. You don't need 3" there but 1-2" should do it. Other folks here will likely chime in as well.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2021, 12:06:26 PM »
"Don, who I understand is not the nicest of guys."

I'll echo that, but not the particulars."
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2021, 03:48:48 PM »
Back in the middle '80's somewhere Don Garlits showed up on the salt with a streamliner. Don't recall how fast he went. My son and his cousin, then aged 12ish and having seen my car and understood your  question wandered by to see what they were up to. They inspected tire clearance to body work and opined in the hearing of some crew member (who seemed to have taken lessons from Don who I understand was not the nicest of guys) that the tires were going to rub. That got them a "get out of here you stupid kids" sort of comment. After a run or two they wandered back to see what was up and low and behold the same guy was there with some tin snips cutting away body work for more clearance....... :cheers: :dhorse: :clap

The tires grow, some more than others, no matter the rating. Body work is more a problem than salt and I can tell you from experience that 3/4-1" even with 350mph rated M/T tires is not enough LOL> Belly pan is the spot where likely clearance is closest. You don't need 3" there but 1-2" should do it. Other folks here will likely chime in as well.

Thanks Jack, Im glad to here that. Even though I havent bent a single tube or 100% sure where the bends will be right now   cromag Im all ready aware how tight everything will be, and a inch is a inch.

My experience with Don is nothing but daisies and puppies. In 2002, our I.E.D.A. World Finals in R/C drag racing was held at Don's museum. Record number of turn outs with over 140 entries. A normal event draws half that. The place was so packed that we started pitting on Don's grass. It was my first win in Top Fuel Nitro. Don signed our trophies.  It was the event where the first nitro car ran in the 1.6 second range (132 feet track) People from Puerto Rico, Texas,California and Washington state showed up. The museum is a must go-to. The only bad thing about it was Don got pissed off because the grass got messed up and wouldnt allow us to come back.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2021, 05:03:48 PM »
Garlits followed Don Kerr into the 2club driving a flathead powered Streamliner sponsored by Speedway Motors. Kerr had a lot to do with it and I congratulated him when he entered the club. For sure that Don was nice guy. I dont know anything about Mr Garlits. The streamliner is on display at Speedy Bills museum.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 08:55:13 PM by jimmy six »
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2021, 07:27:55 PM »
JD, I was thinking it was the Arden motor from Tommy Thompsons Original Goldenrod... but my memories are all good ones.  I remember Don G went just past the 1 on his first run and turned out... said the car was all over the track.  Don Kehr, AKA Don the other driver when we were joking with them, was then tasked to drive the new liner to shake it down.  Don K had been driving the Original Goldenrod, a liner built on a Model A chassis that barely stayed between the lines, so he jumped in for the next pass and said it ran arrow straight... I think qualified and they ran records the next morning leaving a good cushion.  Don G back in and made it farther... he said he thought he had run the whole distance because it seemed to take forever.... Several runs later he was getting comfortable and making good passes... qualified and got in the Club.   
We generally pitted next to Tommy and the Speedway guys and were pitted next to the new "Swamp Rat Liner" they brought in 88.  Of course were were kids (in our 30s) in awe of meeting and chatting with "Big Daddy" but he was quite pleasant with us and the ribbing he took for being slow...
JD, I think we borrowed your hydrometer and a little nitro that year to really blow up our 750 Honda in the Lakester.  We couldn't get it 3 miles on alcohol without burning a piston so we went way richer drilling out the jets to try 30%... it was getting toward the end of the week... made it past the 1, but not quite to the 2.  Ya know it doesn't matter how big the mains are if the needle that lets the fuel into the bowl is smaller  :?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2021, 08:59:59 PM »
No, doubt on the Ardun and Garlits not knowing how to accelerate on the salt. I had met Don Kerr many years before with Tommy and was happy to see him get in the 2 club. Flathead and GMC guys all knew each other back then as we ran against each other for the records...
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2021, 12:17:13 AM »
As far as salt build up, how much room should I leave inside the wheelwells? I was thinking 3" overall.
Goodyear's are a little stiffer in the wall than the Mickey's so the Mickey's will grow a little more but it depends also on what size you're looking at running. Whatever speed you're thinking about now, that will become more later so you might not want to limit your design to a smaller tire, then down the road find yourself making lumps & bumps trying to get bigger rubber in there. It takes less power to turn a big tire than it does to turn a bigger gear. I have 30" Mickey's on my liner with 2" of growth clearance, that's 4" in dia.
  Sid.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2021, 07:55:56 AM »
OK, How about " Don was not known to always be a kindly, touchy feely sort" ?  :wink:  :dhorse:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2021, 10:21:17 PM »
As of lately, Ive not spent much time on facebook. Im sick and tired of the censorship. But regardless  I am on facebook and would like to invite you all to send me a friend request if you like. I have many accounts. Most are banned. But if you would like to find me, look for a profile pic with my handsome face and long beard photoshopped onto a body with a blue t shirt that reads "I give pedicures on cameltoes". That would be me  :clap Would be good to message me here or in private message before hand. Again, Im not spending much time over there lately. As Im sure most of you will understand, Im stuck in my Think-Tank til further notice.