Author Topic: Streamliner Design  (Read 31582 times)

Offline John Clutch

Re: Streamliner Design
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2021, 04:27:27 AM »
Woody, For whatever reason the form refuses to go through. Please contact me at jmonte001@gmail.com when you get a minute. Thanks.

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2021, 03:59:58 PM »
Just so you all know, I will be blessing you guys with my presents at the World Finals (If they happen). Youre welcome.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 07:44:12 PM by John Clutch »

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2021, 04:02:04 PM »
And if any of you chubby guys wanna put a skinny dude in your car, Im your man.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 07:43:52 PM by John Clutch »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2021, 06:41:21 PM »
What kinda presents are you bringing?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2021, 07:44:52 PM »
The wrapper from my peanut butter cups.

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2021, 06:45:02 PM »
I received a disappointing message from Mickey Thompson's sales department. They said their 21x2.5x17 front runners are not certified for landspeed racing or wouldnt give me a speed rating. The car was based upon that tire and the only thing close to that is Goodyear's 22x5x15, that Im aware of. Ultimately I wanted a even shorter tire and I dont know what other options available up to a 300mph rating. The best motorcycle tires I could find are slicks rated at 186mph but 23 or 24" tall. Do I have any other options here?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 08:06:04 AM by John Clutch »

Offline desotoman

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2021, 07:27:15 PM »
Goodyear might have a tire you can use. Scroll down to Landspeed racing at the bottom. They give speed ratings also. http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/pdf/Goodyear_Racing_Drag_Catalog.pdf

Size:22.0x4.0-17, Rim Width:2.5", Diameter:22.9", Section Width:3.4", Tread Width:3.1", Weight Lbs.:5.2, Average Circ.:72",  MSRP :$274,  Speed Rating:300 MPH. @ 90 lbs air pressure, and 1200 lbs. max load.

Hope this helps.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2021, 08:21:26 AM »
Other than the Goodyears, there are few if any tires that are "landspeed rated" and I have heard many people say if they call other mfg's to inquire, they get silence, a click or other responses as you did. SCTA does not require "landspeed" rated tires just tires designed for racing purposes if over 200mph (Rule 2.F). Front runners and other drag tires (not "slicks"), nascar tires, other types of racing tires (many don't have tread of course)  are often used. Other folks with small lakesters and liners may have other advice- Stainless, Rex Shimmer etc. As you are building a liner, space considerations with your build may be more important than the frontal area consideration seen with lakesters and the drag therefrom. The motorcycle guys have a lot of trouble finding tires that pass their tech in the higher speeds. There are many threads here from folks looking for advice about that. Do a search here you will find a lot of discussion about tires in general.(and opinions both ways about wide vs narrow)   :cheers: :dhorse:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2021, 07:37:38 PM »
Thanks guys. I really want to run the smallest tire I possibly can.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2021, 10:02:00 PM »
If you look around you can find tires smaller than 22.  Our rears are the 21 inch Goodyear LSR, our fronts are 18 x 4.4 Goodyear
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2021, 11:41:50 PM »
Since Woody will be busy for the next few months, I thought I would try some different designs.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2021, 08:16:36 AM »
i would consider dropping the top down some more starting behind the eng bay and the bottom up a little more, staring at the rear axle area --unless you just have to have the cubic space  maybe removable strakes on the bottom for ease of loading.  build for the smallest tire possible if you have to change dia in the future go larger is easy  down usually impossible
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 08:20:07 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2021, 08:51:15 AM »
i would consider dropping the top down some more starting behind the eng bay and the bottom up a little more, staring at the rear axle area --unless you just have to have the cubic space  maybe removable strakes on the bottom for ease of loading.  build for the smallest tire possible if you have to change dia in the future go larger is easy  down usually impossible

Sparky, just to verify your suggestion....are you saying to lower the parachute tubes, which would lower the body profile on top of the tubes behind the rear wheels and raise the belly ban after the rear wheels a bit?

As it sits, the car is 22 feet long to the parachute tube, 26" inches wide, 22" tall at the fenders and 29" tall at the canopy. Rear stabilizer is 36" from the ground. And you are spot on about its easier to add to the body than removing. Thats why I was hoping to find smaller tires than 22".
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 08:57:35 AM by John Clutch »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2021, 10:36:07 AM »
To me the nose is not going to work.  Looks like it would split a lot of air under the car... Narrowing the sides will split the air around not above and below.  Nish streamliner showed this when they changed the nose.  The sharp point needs to be more rounded...
Now, to clarify... I am not an aero guy... so that is just my opinion...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2021, 11:05:44 AM »
Sparky, like this? I would like to point out that as of your suggestions, the overall height of the parachute tube support is 13". I think thats just enough to support two 6" tubes (if I ever go that fast to need two)

The reason why I had the belly pan so low at the rear was for the fact that fluids dont like change, so my thinking is the least amount of change, the better.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 12:27:33 PM by John Clutch »