Author Topic: Streamliner Design  (Read 31591 times)

Offline John Clutch

Re: Streamliner Design
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2021, 08:36:32 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, Ed. Been meaning to get new glasses  :cheers: Instrumentation would hopefully be a small display, shift light and a mechanical speedo. Figure if Im on fire and the electrical system is burned out, I dont want to take a guess at what MPH im jumping out of the car at LOL I think the display would be up in the canopy, right in front of the rollcage.
Having had a blown engine at speed (260 or so) and a fire, I was well out of the car before it stopped LOL> Safety is paramount and as you say below, can't really put a price on it. Get the best stuff you can. A -20 suit is expensive and bulky. Design for it. Fuel is not a determining factor in the rules for suits, speed is. Minimum is a -15 suit anyway (>175), and small, relatively speaking, step up to a -20.  Also, with respect to cage design and getting out of the car remember that now a Hans or similar is required in all cars and definitely makes a difference getting in and out.

Also remember that all safety requirements are based on the record, not what your car is capable of. A lot of folks want to come racing with a car that will go 150 on a 250 record just for fun etc. Has to meet the 250 specs. (suit, fire bottles, etc etc)

Im use to drag racing, and fuel is the determining factor on the firesuit. And damn, I forgot about the hans device  cromag
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 08:38:20 AM by John Clutch »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2021, 10:19:53 AM »
John, Bonneville is drag racing... but instead of 1/4 mile confined by walls and a catch trap at the end it is 5 miles, a car out of control can end up anywhere.... sometimes 3/4 of a mile from where the accident begins.  Fire and rescue response is good, but that means maybe a minute before help arrives.  That is why a firewall that seals liquids is imperative... you want all the flammables to stay away from you.  Believe it or not, Special Construction cars can do that job a lot easier than the others. 
I've said it before... build it like your life depends on it....  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2021, 10:59:33 AM »
John, Bonneville is drag racing... but instead of 1/4 mile confined by walls and a catch trap at the end it is 5 miles, a car out of control can end up anywhere.... sometimes 3/4 of a mile from where the accident begins.  Fire and rescue response is good, but that means maybe a minute before help arrives.  That is why a firewall that seals liquids is imperative... you want all the flammables to stay away from you.  Believe it or not, Special Construction cars can do that job a lot easier than the others. 
I've said it before... build it like your life depends on it....  :cheers:

A little bit more about me. Im a Compliance Manager for a shop that converts vans into ambulettes (non emergency ambulances) I wrote the shop process plan for manufacturing and beyond. I had to cover everything from the time raw materials came in the door to delivering a vehicle. Safety and liability. Took me nearly 2 years before we qualified for Ford Motor Company's QVM program. Safety is drilled in me. Everything I would design into this car will be based on what if's. What if im on fire at 200 mph? Where do I put my safety harness for my peanut butter cups? Etc etc.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2021, 11:42:29 AM »
Make sure to get SCTA-approved peanut butter cups.  I forget which page/rule number (in the rulebook) has the specs... :deal
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2021, 12:13:38 PM »
Make sure to get SCTA-approved peanut butter cups.  I forget which page/rule number (in the rulebook) has the specs... :deal

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline desotoman

Re: Steamliner Design
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2021, 11:34:51 AM »
See. I knew not being able to preview my post before was gonna bite me on the ass. I was thinking methanol steam.

John,

Thanks for the correction on the fuel used. I had to ask as you never know what someone is trying to do in this venue.  :?

As far as Peanut Butter cups being available, in Wendover there is a Smiths market everyone goes to. Give them a call and ask about the PBC's.  1855 W Wendover Blvd. Wendover, NV 89883, (775) 664-3306.

Good luck with your build.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline John Clutch

Re: Steamliner Design
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2021, 01:38:10 PM »
See. I knew not being able to preview my post before was gonna bite me on the ass. I was thinking methanol steam.

John,

Thanks for the correction on the fuel used. I had to ask as you never know what someone is trying to do in this venue.  :?

As far as Peanut Butter cups being available, in Wendover there is a Smiths market everyone goes to. Give them a call and ask about the PBC's.  1855 W Wendover Blvd. Wendover, NV 89883, (775) 664-3306.

Good luck with your build.

Tom G.

Thanks bro!!!

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2021, 02:48:34 PM »
OK. Im really close to finalizing the model body for tunnel testing, so I need your help again.

Where do I go to have it tested?
What scale would be best for testing?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2021, 11:19:12 AM »
Best bet (cheap) may be a tethered fish scale in the back of a pickup at about 63 MPH.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2021, 12:40:42 PM »
Check out a local university with mechanical engineering component and see if they have a model sized wind tunnel.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2021, 02:17:14 PM »
Do a mathematical description of your body and call Woody at Design Dreams. He can run it through his CFD program and give you a lot more good aero information than you will ever get from a wind tunnel especially using a scale model.

Rex

Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2021, 03:13:52 PM »
Oh I like that idea, Rex. Thanks

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2021, 03:23:48 PM »
I filled out his contact form 8 friggin times. Dont know if its my internet or its on his end.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2021, 04:21:12 PM »
Contacted myself so me thinks not my end!  :-P
PM me and we'll get connected. Will be later this week or next!
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2021, 04:17:35 AM »
Contacted myself so me thinks not my end!  :-P
PM me and we'll get connected. Will be later this week or next!

lol8  lol8 Ok will do.