Author Topic: Streamliner Design  (Read 31586 times)

Offline JR'S PAPA

Re: Streamliner Design
« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2021, 06:56:33 PM »
One of my fondest memories of the "SALT" was in the 90's when my kid and I always looked forward the the Hoffman-Markley streamliner warm up on the trailer, in the middle of the pits and letting that aroma of big nitro waft through the crisp, cool Bonneville air. God I wish those times never ended. Thanks for the memories.......
Been there, seen that! And now I can say I participate, with my kid and his kid, J.R...........

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2021, 07:28:08 PM »
This is the (all- or any-time) kinda run I enjoyed . . . even the speed shifting . . .

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyEfDr_9AVg
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2021, 07:39:13 PM »
This is the (all- or any-time) kinda run I enjoyed . . . even the speed shifting . . .

r
Nice audio, too. Lotsa Doppler shift on that run!
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2021, 07:54:56 AM »

When will that stop giving me goosebumps?

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2021, 08:45:45 AM »
A symphony by a maestro!  :cheers:
Hearing and feeling it is nearly orgasmic!  :evil:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2021, 12:08:18 PM »
Sorta like watching a fuel dragster go by at 300 mph ...then shifting  as it fades into the distance. :cheers: :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 06:07:31 AM by floydjer »
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2021, 08:54:08 PM »
I may be wrong (often), but I believe the car was a 2-speed.  I remember seeing it usually take a couple seconds (not really) to make the gear change while half the crowd thought he'd aborted the run.

Al and I are the same age.  We both got drafted and went to Ft. Riley and Viet Nam at the same times.  Our Bonneville experiences were quite similar, too.  We both ran record-setting '29  roadsters.  He ended up going twice the speed I did, so I guess that counts for something.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2021, 10:40:37 PM »
Only double...  :roll: seems like more... of course he had to upgrade the roadster a little
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2021, 09:03:52 AM »
I may be wrong (often), but I believe the car was a 2-speed.  I remember seeing it usually take a couple seconds (not really) to make the gear change while half the crowd thought he'd aborted the run.

Al and I are the same age.  We both got drafted and went to Ft. Riley and Viet Nam at the same times.  Our Bonneville experiences were quite similar, too.  We both ran record-setting '29  roadsters.  He ended up going twice the speed I did, so I guess that counts for something.
It was an old Weismann Indy car transaxle set up to use only 4 speeds. Your memory is good, it was a slow shifting - mis shifting bitch & this run was right after I redid the shift mechanism & we never broke a gear or had any problems after that.
  Sid.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2021, 02:34:11 PM »
Oh man what memory's I'm fortunate to have experienced the sound and site of Al making a run in Betsy on my tourist visit to the salt in the late 80's the run was in the high 300 range. To think so many decades latter Al is a great friend and Sid has taken me under his wing guiding me on a number of areas to help improve my race car each suggestion has add more MPH.   
 Ronnieroadster

Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2021, 05:14:22 PM »
A four speed box? So he would push off in low and shift ...3 times? 1drink
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2021, 07:18:07 PM »
I was also the pusher back then. We'd push off in 1st gear without the engine running, then Al would pop the clutch at about 40, wait for the oil pressure to come up then light the mags, shove the clutch back in, clean the engine out & leave the truck. I would just stay in it until he left me & we would always have the windows down for the music & the nitro fumes. 8-) :cry: In that clip we were still only running one mag, the small 8-71 blower & 50% nitro. Terry (aka Podunk) was one of our fuel guys back then too.
Thanks for the nod Ron, it's been a pleasure Mate! :-)
  Sid.

Offline jl222

« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2021, 07:31:06 PM »

No bloodless cipher there .  AKA turbocharger

JL222

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2021, 08:58:16 PM »
Always the highlight of the day.  And the week.  And the year.  It's hard to express how most of us felt "involved".  Felt the challenge.  Felt the victories along with the failures.  How the fu_k can something like that be so important.  I don't know.  But it was and still is.

I barely had a nodding acquaintance with Al.  I often passed him up on 93.  One time there was an international motorcycle event -- a full-bore off-road ride around Nevada with all these support vehicles zooming south on 93.  I'd passed Al just before the right turn above Shelborne's (sp?) and pulled over a few miles further at the 93 split at the store-bar-motel-gas station-camping site (which part of it was open that year).  There were 30 or 40 bikers there on a break.  I told them if they paid attention, the world's fastest wheel-driven car was to motor by in a couple of minutes.  He didn't motor by.  He stopped to cool his trailer tires.  The crowd wasn't sure what it was, but they sure were interested.  He told me if he went over 45 MPH he just invited tire problems.  I don't know how much the rig held with all the "spares" and all, but I bet it was a bunch.

A bunch of us were buying T-shirts(+) which probably didn't amount to much.  But to me it seemed a better investment that trying to sponsor a multimillion-dollar car for a rocket engine to go with its jet engine and somewhere a Formula One motor to light them off or something.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2021, 02:27:14 PM »
If you look up "class act" in the dictionary there is a pic of Al and Betsy!
When he dropped her into 4th and really put the pedal to her that was a sound that cannot be replicated, there is nothing like the sound of a big hemi with blower and big percentage, probably at around 5800-6000 rpm pushing the wind! A sight and sound that all of us that were lucky enough to see will never forget.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.