Author Topic: Streamliner Design  (Read 31579 times)

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
Re: Streamliner Design
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2021, 12:32:07 PM »
The last 2% of any project consumes just as much revenues & resources as the first 98%!  :evil:
In this venue you will become expert at modifying the modified, modifications!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2021, 09:11:15 PM »
I blame you guys for my troubles. Too many great designs and approaches  cromag  aktion086    lol8  lol8

WELP.......atleast I have a better chance of not killing myself I guess.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2021, 10:51:21 PM »
That may depend on your wife accepting your new mistress competing for your time!!   :roll:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2021, 05:08:32 AM »
Now I see why lakesters are so popular. What a pain in the ask trying to tuck tires into a space that pretty much doesnt exist. Is steering really necessary?

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2021, 07:46:03 AM »
Now I see why lakesters are so popular. What a pain in the ask trying to tuck tires into a space that pretty much doesnt exist. Is steering really necessary?
Like brakes, only for getting on and off the trailer....... :evil:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2021, 10:25:35 AM »
But that's half the fun of streamliners... hiding the tires from the air....
Yep... even lakesters shouldn't be able to make tight turns... a 1/4 mile u-turn is as much steering as you need.  You learn to master the 20 point turn in tight spaces.  :naughty
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2021, 02:29:53 PM »
I decided no steering or brakes at all. Dont really need it. Instead, Ill have two oars/rutters that dig into the salt to steer. John @ Shroud must be busy because Im still waiting on the quote for the boat anchor launcher.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2021, 09:16:32 PM »
Launcher?? Are you using a round tube with a spring pilot or a rectangular with a pneumatic ram pilot?  We have pneumatic rams available if you or anyone else needs one... new, just pay shipping and give Slim $10... I can get the length if anyone is interested... thinking 10 inch stroke w spring retract.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2021, 10:38:16 AM »
I thought this was funny and many can relate.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2021, 11:19:41 AM »
 :oops:
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2021, 01:58:02 PM »
The helmet finally showed up. I guessed the basic helmet size right, but the side air inlet through me a curve ball. Ill also need add height to the chassis, if I dont want to strain my neck forward.
Its a step forward.

Offline Hoffman Jr

• New folks
    • www.hoffmanmetal.com
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2021, 03:14:10 PM »
Looks like your mainly asking for aerodynamic help, but don't forget weight balance.
Your drawing looks rear heavy if the motor is in the back
We ran 50/50 front/rear
I definitely would not go past 60% on the rear

Back to aero ...The nose on our car had 0% lift at 380 mph. Roughly copied off Micky Thompson's 2nd car. The problem with sharp corners on the body is your not always going straight into the wind. The air need to also flow with a cross wind
Harry Hoffman Jr

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2021, 03:51:47 PM »

Helmets keep getting bigger all the time. Safer, I'm sure, but a PITA when it comes to fitting in a roll cage.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2021, 06:24:35 PM »

Helmets keep getting bigger all the time. Safer, I'm sure, but a PITA when it comes to fitting in a roll cage.

Yes sir, its 3/4" taller from the centerline of my eye sight compared to my old helmet.

Offline John Clutch

« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2021, 06:36:54 PM »
Looks like your mainly asking for aerodynamic help, but don't forget weight balance.
Your drawing looks rear heavy if the motor is in the back
We ran 50/50 front/rear
I definitely would not go past 60% on the rear

Back to aero ...The nose on our car had 0% lift at 380 mph. Roughly copied off Micky Thompson's 2nd car. The problem with sharp corners on the body is your not always going straight into the wind. The air need to also flow with a cross wind

Hoffman, the basic lay out has changed a lot since my original post. I posted a few concepts within the thread. Moved everything forward. Challenger 2 was also my inspiration. As time goes by, the influences from everyone makes me question it all. My original thought was to not create even the slightest amount of high pressure in front of the car but rather have it aft of the leading edge. Now Im starting to realize that slight high pressure is actually better for the aero overall. The air will be disturbed no matter what shape we use, so the quicker its disturbed, the sooner it can recover.

Beautiful hot rod you got there.