Author Topic: Multiple extinguisher systems  (Read 3329 times)

Offline Ian Northeast

Multiple extinguisher systems
« on: January 06, 2021, 03:24:37 AM »
Hello experts,
I need a bit of advice on fire extinguishers.
Due to the size of my car and our projected speed, according to the rules I need 11lbs or more of extinguishant.
I can obtain a 10lbs system and a 5lbs system.
This gives me a few options when it comes to plumbing
1, 10lbs to the engine and 5lbs to the cabin
2, 10lbs split to engine and cabin and 5 lbs to the cabin
3, 5lbs to the engine and 10lbs to the cabin
4, some other idea I haven't considered

looking forward to your replies.

Ian

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: Multiple extinguisher systems
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 07:54:54 AM »
Hi Ian
Rule 3q is over 5lbs for the driver which limits your options.
I opted for 10 and 10 on the basis that it meets the rules and gives plenty for it and me.

Martin of FireForce at SantaPod Dragway represents DJ in the UK and they are on the salt every SpeedWeek (someone can correct me) which to my mind means tech are looking at something they know and if one has an accidental discharge there is a plan B on the day on the salt. (no affiliation etc). You could go direct to DJ of course but he was super helpful regarding plumbing (lend me the correct flare tool for AN) etc so the shout out is earned.
John
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 10:45:37 AM »
We use Halon... Bottles reside in the Drivers area.
Two Bottles... a 10lb that actually has 11 in it and a 5lb that is 5.5.
The small bottle is drivers compartment only with a single very small outlet.  Through a bit of bad luck we found out the small bottle will spray for more than 90 seconds. Expensive lesson.  Always consider the size of the area to determine what is best for you.  Our spray systems were sized by Jim Diest having us weld up nozzles to limit how much agent was released. When a driver is in there the amount of space left over is measured in cubic inches not feet....  :? OK, it is probably a couple of cubic feet total.
The big bottle also has a single small, about 1/16 inch, hole that releases into the drivers compartment as well as plumbing through the firewall for the 2 engine nozzles.
Having the big bottle split increases driver protection time.  Don Vesco gave us good advice years ago... the driver is the part you should protect the most... and if you see smoke and think you are on fire... you aren't... you will know when you are on fire!
Good Luck with your project... have we seen pictures? lately?  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 10:38:36 PM »
Ian,
Give me a call at my shop. We have been selling and installing fire suppression for over 25 years. We specialize in building Bonneville cars and bikes. I would like the opportunity to help talk you through your options. The number is 772.210.2713 EST.
Joe
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com