Author Topic: AMA - 3000-A-AF - Dual-Engine FJ1200  (Read 26279 times)

Offline FreakhouseCustoms

• Freakhouse Customs Channel
Re: AMA - 3000-A-AF - Dual-Engine FJ1200
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2021, 06:19:06 PM »
Youse guys should look into having them sealed.  That's easier in SoCal (not the "speed" shop").  Maybe that's just an SCTA thing.

Yessir, I have not heard of the "sealing" before for AMA.  For me, Impound is not a big deal, I'm seriously just happy to even GET there.

Wait? Did youse just say youse to me?  Makes me feel like I'm back in Joisey again.  :evil:
Born in Philly, NJ until I was 41 - been here in CO for almost 10. 
The Juggernaut: Dual-Engine Yamaha FJ2400
Watch the build on The Freakhouse Customs Channel

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2021, 06:41:41 PM »
Oops sorry about the spark plug confusion. I thought I saw in the video that the outside plug was angled. Good for you. My Hayabusa is a center plug, but the Suzuki GS 1000 is angled and I dread having to tear that apart on the salt.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2021, 01:39:32 AM »
Please, no apologies necessary!

Who can keep track of the spark plug position of every bike?  You actually had me running out to the garage to double check and make sure the FJ had vertical plugs! LOL!

:)

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2021, 11:59:45 AM »
Aaargh, even a dual engine fire breathing monster is easier to get apart than my dodgy little Honda! I gotta start thinking about something easier to tear into.

At BMST sealing just proves you haven't had the cylinders off. Generally done after a bike has set a record and wants to continue running before getting measured. You still have to tear down at the end and get measured.

Sounds like you can get measured and sealed ahead for SCTA?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 12:01:21 PM by Doc B. »

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2021, 12:36:41 PM »
Aaargh, even a dual engine fire breathing monster is easier to get apart than my dodgy little Honda! I gotta start thinking about something easier to tear into.

Doc B,
One year, there was a team running a Honda and they were in Impound with me.  I came running over to them, gave them my spiel about how lucky we were that we didn't have to remove our heads - only to find out that they had the angled plugs!  I stood still and let them pelt me with nuts and bolts as I left Impound.   :oops:

The entire top of the GloWorm was open, specifically to make it as easy as possible for them to measure my engine(s).  The new bike, The Juggernaut, will take the hope of a trip to Impound in mind while I'm designing the top of the frame.

Online floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2021, 07:32:58 PM »
Will this be two engines and transmissions or two engines feeding one trans?
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2021, 08:31:23 PM »
Two complete engines & transmissions, connected at the transmission output shafts.
Like my previous bike, The GloWorm, but this time, the rear engine won't be up higher.  Both engines will be on the same plane.

Click Pic for Video:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2021, 11:14:48 PM »
Think about the ways you can make the head easy to remove for tech inspection if it has angled plugs.  One bike I saw had hex shaped extensions welded onto the head studs so they could be unscrewed and removed with a socket wrench.  This made it far easier to get the head off of the bike without taking the engine out of the frame.  Same with other bolts you might need to remove.  Make sure they are easy to unscrew when the engine is in the frame.   

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2021, 10:15:07 AM »
wobblywalrus,

I was lucky enough, without knowing the benefits of a straight plug, to choose the GS1100E for my previous trips to Impound.  The vertical plug was one of the things I specifically looked at when I bought the FJ1200's.   :-D

One of the things I WILL be doing on this build is making it so the engine(s) will drop out of the frame easily from the bottom.  Of course, I'm not hoping for an engine(2) drop, but I want to make that as easy as possible.

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2021, 10:19:48 AM »
Speaking of disassembly, I just posted Episode 2 of The Juggernaut on my channel.
 :cheers:

Click pic for video:

I will freely admit that my 'performance' in Episode 1 was a bit wooden, but here's where I start to loosen up in front of the camera. I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I enjoyed making it!

-Fran

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2021, 10:51:42 PM »
Before tomorrow's episode hits, I just want to be clear that what you're seeing is NOT the race bike!

I'm building a "prototype" first - in Computer Programming, this is akin to RAD: Rapid Application Development  :-D, so I can play with some neck angles, ride height, test the suspension, etc. -just the fastest way to get something on the road.  Just wanted to get that out there in case anyone was worried about me trying to do anything more than ride the bike up and down the street to get a feel for how it feels.   8-)

#thisIsMYBuildProcess #yourResultsMayVary
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 09:49:00 AM by FreakhouseCustoms »

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2021, 09:55:29 AM »
Episode 3 - I finally get the frames/engines mocked up, so I can get a good look at how the bike is going to lay out:

Click pic for video:

Online floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2021, 10:15:37 AM »
****Disclaimer**** I have no idea of what I am babbling about. Would you be better served by removing the clutch and trans components from the front engine and connecting the engines via a chain between the fly wheels with the forward engine phased 90 degrees advanced? The two engines would "think" they were an eight cyl. and you would have four equal power impulses per crank rotation.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Chris V

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2021, 11:02:08 AM »
Very well done videos Fran keep um coming
1972 Yamaha R5  350cc

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2021, 12:12:11 PM »
Would you be better served by removing the clutch and trans components from the front engine and connecting the engines via a chain between the fly wheels with the forward engine phased 90 degrees advanced?

That's the 2nd most asked question I get after "How do you ride this thing?"

To be perfectly honest, it's because I lack almost ALL of the skills needed to pull that off.  (But one day... ONE DAY... I'll work my way up to it ;) )

• Once I cut the engine/transmission off, I can't weld aluminum (yet), so I can't plug the hole  :?
  • Once you couple the engines at the crankshaft, as you stated, you've got to be smart enough to time them to "think" they were an eight cylinder - I currently lack those smarts
  • With the last bike, and other dual-engine builds I've seen, when you couple them together at the transmissions, that's it.  One engine runs, the other engine runs, neither know the other one is there.  Power output will always be limited by whichever engine is "slower".
  • I'm a firm believer of the K.I.S.S. philosophy:  Keep It Simple (Because I'm) Stupid - Joining the motors as the transmissions is the most simple way to achieve that goal
  • Keeping both engines intact, I will be able to use them in future individual builds and (hopefully) sell those to fund future race bikes

So long story, long... I'd LOVE to be able to lop off the front transmission - I'd get SO much real estate back and the bike would not have to be so long.  With every build, I learn more and more.  As the days go by, I meet more and more people who can teach me the skills that I lack.  And that's the journey I'm happy to be on.