Author Topic: AMA - 3000-A-AF - Dual-Engine FJ1200  (Read 26276 times)

Offline salt27

Re: AMA - 3000-A-AF - Dual-Engine FJ1200
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2021, 10:04:34 PM »
Marlo's ride.

I hope you don't mind me adding this to your thread.

Don
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 10:06:05 PM by salt27 »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 11:46:15 AM »
Was that bike ever at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, AL? I saw a twin-engine one there in around early 1961.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline FreakhouseCustoms

• Freakhouse Customs Channel
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2021, 12:00:13 PM »
Nice salt27!

I'd love to hear about any and all dual-engine bikes! Who's Marlo and what are the specs of that bike?

Growing up in South Jersey, that bike reminds me of our hometown hero "The Parasite" 

The Juggernaut: Dual-Engine Yamaha FJ2400
Watch the build on The Freakhouse Customs Channel

Offline Queeziryder

• Former funnybike racer now Salt crew
    • G&N Racing
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2021, 12:58:08 PM »
Hi and welcome to the mad house  :-D

Over here in the UK invention was the mother of all evils  :evil:
My late father built a twin engined Triumph, but with the head reversed on the rear engine so he could build it as a V4 with the blower in the middle. Also we had 1 guy build a twin engined TZ750 powered lump, another with 3 Kawasaki 750 tripples. There's nothing new under the sun.

Best of luck for the future  :cheers:
Neil
Old enough to know better, but too interested in speed to care

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2021, 01:59:06 PM »
There's nothing new under the sun.

Isn't that the truth?  My non-motorcycle friends don't 'get it' when I tell them that I'm not pioneering anything.  When I go to Bonneville, I'm not the only dual-engine guy there.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm the SLOWEST dual-engine bike in the record books.

with the head reversed on the rear engine so he could build it as a V4 with the blower in the middle.

YES!!!  Yet another idea that I didn't come up with - that haunts my brain as I attempt to fall asleep at night!  One of my (many) projects is to build another dual-engine GS1100E and flip the rear head.  Then I'd build an intake for one Holley 4bbl to feed all 8-cylinders in the middle!
 :cheers:

I've gotten this far.  Cylinder & Head reverses easily enough - all oil passages line up still.  I plopped the cams in, spun it and checked for interference & there was none so the next step is going to be figuring out the actual cam timing. 

But that's a project for another day, the FJ2400 is on the build table now!  :-D

#nothingNewUnderTheSunIndeed #reuseRecycleRefine

I got

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2021, 02:37:16 PM »
Nice salt27!

I'd love to hear about any and all dual-engine bikes! Who's Marlo and what are the specs of that bike?

Well you can google Marlo Treit... look on this site for target 550
He terrorized the NW when he was younger.... oh yea... still is
Max Lambky is building a twin Vincent... not many updates here since Covid started.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline salt27

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2021, 04:30:19 PM »
At a Northwest Bonneville Reunion I remember helping Marlo roll what I believe was a replica of his Triumph into the banquet room.

Does anyone else recall if it was indeed a replica or not?

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2021, 10:15:17 PM »
Well you can google Marlo Treit... look on this site for target 550

...and here is where my newbie-ness will embarrassingly shine.  My brain has always read that with an "i"... as in Mario Treit.
 muutt

So glad I never bumped into him prior to this.

Huge fan of Target550... and now a huge-er-er fan of Marlo knowing his campaigned a Double on the Dragstrip!
 :cheers:

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2021, 02:26:54 AM »
The VERY FIRST episode of The Juggernaut Build has finally arrived:

Click the pic to view it!   :cheers:

Please Like & Subscribe on YouTube!
I've been filming, editing, re-shooting, and still managing to get some bike building done, for the last month and I'm excited to share this build.  I hope to drop these short episodes every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  Of course, I'll keep updating this Build Thread, but if a picture's worth 1000 words... a video's gotta be even better, right?  :-D

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2021, 12:47:07 PM »
HA!
Yes, I'm "that guy":  Stoked because 710 is my Race Number!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2021, 01:56:57 PM »
Those old Triumphs had separate engines and gearboxes and it was relatively easy to splice two of them together to a common tranny.  The method you use with two separate but complete engines makes a lot of sense with modern unit construction motors.   

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2021, 02:26:48 PM »
Loved the video and your communication abilities. Since you will be building a semi-custom frame for the two engines you should plan ahead on making it easy to remove the heads while on the salt. With those engines, the spark plug holes are angled and the impound techs can only measure bore and stroke with the heads off. It is a pain but must be done if you want to set a record.

Good luck,
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2021, 03:44:32 PM »
Loved the video and your communication abilities. Since you will be building a semi-custom frame for the two engines you should plan ahead on making it easy to remove the heads while on the salt. With those engines, the spark plug holes are angled and the impound techs can only measure bore and stroke with the heads off. It is a pain but must be done if you want to set a record.

Good luck,
Don

Consider me subscribed, Fran. Loved your bike at BMST2019 and very intrigued to see what you come up with. Don speaks words of wisdom here. Taking the head off my little one motor CB77 is a total PITA on the salt. Have to pull the motor out to get the head off. It took about four hours my first time in 2018. Since then I've put a fair amount of time into coming up with shortcuts in case I get to go to impound again some time.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2021, 05:14:59 PM »
Youse guys should look into having them sealed.  That's easier in SoCal (not the "speed" shop").  Maybe that's just an SCTA thing.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 05:19:14 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2021, 06:11:48 PM »

Good luck,
Don

Oh Don, you're gonna hate me...

If the bike has hemispherical chamber and the spark plugs are vertical, to be certified, I only have to pull the gas tank then all the spark plugs and the one engine cover to rotate the crankshaft.  Then they just use a 'bore-meter' (I don't actually know the name of the measuring tool) to go in there and measure the bore and stroke.  No removal of the head needed for the Suzuki  GS1100E and the FJ1200 is the same.

I'm in and out of Impound so fast, I have to dodge all the wrenches being thrown at me by everyone that had to tear apart their bikes.  :-o

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 08:14:48 PM by FreakhouseCustoms »