Author Topic: The story of the broken web site  (Read 15489 times)

Offline salt27

Re: The story of the broken web site
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2020, 04:13:15 PM »
Ross, post something here... your posts are usually thread killers  :cheers:

Hmm, not so sure it's Ross.     :roll:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2020, 06:14:23 PM »
As a guy that is in serious lockdown, this website means a lot.  It is a nice connection to the outside world.  Your efforts to keep it up are very appreciated. 

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2020, 08:28:21 PM »
You're all very welcome.  I really hated to see it blown away like that!  It's great to see such a "community".
BtWE
Web Elf

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2020, 07:25:40 PM »
Just a minor thing but the HostGator icon appears on the browser title bar whereas before it was the LR logo.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2020, 07:40:36 PM »
Well, well - so it does.   I guess I'd noticed something different but didn't look closely.  Hmmm....
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2020, 09:26:06 PM »
It sure does!  I'll fixum.
Web Elf

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2020, 10:39:51 PM »
There 'tis.  Sure is little, maybe a little more tweaking for clarity.  But not tonight..... hmmm, I see we need a smiley cuttin' Z's too. 
Web Elf

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2020, 10:55:49 AM »
 muutt  Well thanks to your two efforts we get OUR FIX   I tell people I have a sick addiction---the site being down just reinforced my take on what I live with as I went through withdrawal!! 

WE SO MISSED YOU GUYS---thanks for taking the time to get US back up  we need OUR LSR!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2020, 01:02:40 PM »
No worries Bob, most of us are old enough we can't tell what that little icon is...
Keep up the good work... and personally even though I have Steadybreakers in my past, I don't give a Studebaker what shows up in the cuss filter...
 :cheers:  :clap  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Beltguy

• Beltguy website (links to my other sites)
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2020, 01:03:07 PM »
Bobc, like others I want to extend a big thanks for all the work you do to keep our addiction fed.

I see that you have installed the latest SMF platform.  I can't tell what platform you use for the website.  My best guess is that you really had to jump through hoops to get the theme for both to work with the latest platform versions.

On our little website/forum (https://eagles-international.net/ we are stuck between a rock and a hard spot.  The website is built on WordPress and the forum platform is phpbb.  We are several versions behind because updating to the latest versions of both are not compatible with our current themes (look and feel of the website/forum).  Right now we don't have the resources to create new themes.

If you had to update your themes, my hat is off to you for the huge amount of additional work you put in to get us back to "normal".

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Retired Gates Blower Belt "expert"
My tribute to the Phoenix Land Speed Record Truck:
http://www.beltguy.com/Phoenix_LSR_Truck/The%20Phoenix%20LSR%20Truck.htm

Offline desotoman

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2021, 10:22:37 AM »
Hello Web Elf Bob,

Before the BIG CRASH pictures people posted would show up even if not logged into the site. Now to see some but not all of the pictures people post I have to be logged in.

What has changed since the crash?

Thanks for all you do.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2021, 11:46:14 AM »
I was on the forum as a Guest, could see photos.  Had to log in to reply here, so I really was not logged in.

If you log in, can you see everything?  If a Guest, can you see some but not all?

BtWE
Web Elf

Offline desotoman

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2021, 12:49:44 PM »
Hi Bob,

Here is an example of what I am experiencing on the forum. When I am not logged in and looking at the Introduce Yourself section, starting from the most recent post and going backwards the first picture I see posted is from Freakhousecustoms posted on Reply #3877 on: December 31, 2020, 10:14:45 AM. If I log in I see that I have missed out on several pictures and one attachment that show up now going back to Reply #3877.

I don't mind logging in, but would a guest visiting the website have the same problem as I do when not logged in? I don't remember this happening before the Big Crash, but maybe it did. I believe others have the same thing happen.

Any help appreciated, especially for the guests out there.

Tom G. 

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2021, 01:26:32 PM »
Thanks!  I'll take a look at that, I really appreciate the specifics, that helps immensely.  Yeah, it'd be nice for guests to be able to see it all. 
Web Elf

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2021, 08:05:23 PM »
It sounds like this incident is under control, so I'll tell you a story about Bob and the website.  Put into just a few words, Bob wants to retire from being our (and other sites') web elf.  Pretty soon, too, sorta.

With that impending day looming - I've gotta find a replacement for him, and that's gonna be a bitch-kitty for sure.  No doubt there are lotsa people and/or companies that could do the technical stuff.  That'd be the easiest part of finding the new elf.  Finding someone that has been to the salt and rides a motorcycle (as Bob has/does) would make it a little more challenging, but I think maybe there's a chance.  Hey - I'd even consider someone that drives a car.  And so on through every attribute - like, the new elf will need to work pretty damned cheap to do everything that Bob has been doing for a long time.  Not billing me for many hours of the time he's spent doing stuff for LR.com is what I'm used to (and appreciate), so new elf will be advised to offer that same undercharging if he wants to get my attention.  But most of all - -

The "New Bob" will absolutely be required to be willing and able to put up with me.  That, my friends, is a challenge for anyone.  I don't know how Mr. Clancy has done it for all of these years, but he has. 

Thanks, Bob.  Quite literally:  I couldn't have done it without you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com