Author Topic: The story of the broken web site  (Read 15482 times)

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
The story of the broken web site
« on: November 10, 2020, 09:18:31 PM »
Ok, here 'tis, in all its glory.

Well, we had an $8/month extra support package (because of outdated software) about last Dec. and Jan.  Then I fixed it.  Fine.  The  site was working fine, and then in October, it suddenly disappeared.  WTF?  Call the host (1and1 / Ionos) support.

It had not just been turned off, but it had all 111,000+ files and 5 databases deleted from the server.  Oh, the contract was locked then deleted, so we couldn't go in and try to figure things out.  Why?

$17.42.   

For the extra support back in December/January.  A bill we didn't know about.

They said they tried to charge whatever payment was usually charged, but it didn't work.  Dunno what they did.  They said they sent emails in February and March, but Jon doesn't recall any, and if anything looks unusual, he sends them to me.  No emails that we know of.  Ultimately, they said they locked the account/Control Panel, though I have no idea if either Jon nor myself had a need to go there.  Again, nothing can be verified as the account Jon's had for many years got totally blown away.

So, Jon the Deadbeat  :-D paid up (with a collection agency no less!) the entire $17.42.  I hear he had to mortgage the house to get the bucks.  But you're worth it!  And the site was supposed to be restored.  Actually, it was up for a few days (I presume under the old, locked contract) then it disappeared again.  Their idea of putting things back involved dumping the 111,000+ files and database *backups* on the server..... rebuilding it and making it work again was our problem.

I've been with 1and1/Ionos for about 14 years with my personal stuff, and they've been fine.  But besides Landracing, another site I work on just got blown away (without notice!) because of a changed credit card number.  Great customer care!

So, BtWE is usually pretty mellow, but  I. Was. Pissed.  I told them they broke it over $17.42.... now fix it.  "That's your problem, read the contract".  I asked why they couldn't do a 1-minute phone call before blowing everything away?  They have Jon's contact info. They wanted his phone number when he signed up.  Save us many hours of work and almost a month downtime?   "We have very many customers, we don't do that". 

I told 'em, if I had to rebuild the site, it WASN'T going to be at 1and1/Ionos.  I downloaded/uploaded all the files and database backups, did the grunt work.  Took a whole day for each download and upload! (You folks are prolific!)   lol8  So it's up on Host Gator.

HG support has been really good, and somebody went above and beyond to get Landracing up (the big problem was finding the magic words to hook the site up with the databases).  HG support is about 1000 times better than 1and1's.  You might get somebody in Houston (I had a nice chat with Brian this morning) and the Filipinos not only speak English, but they're good at helpin' ya.

So, that's the story, with lots of little details left out.  A good example of a big corporation "flipping a switch" and cracking down on billing (and I think screwing up on their end) and really messing their customers up, unnecessarily.  Impersonal.

Believe me, I'm glad it's back!
Web Elf

Offline salt27

Re: The story of the broken web site
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 09:47:40 PM »
Bob, I hope you know how much we appreciate your efforts. (A lot)

Thank you, Don

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 11:19:04 PM »
Thanks Bob and I got your reply as well.

I think we all appreciate your efforts  Well done!

Pete

Offline racergeo

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 01:10:01 AM »
   I stopped at the broken web site on the way to the Crazy Horse museum last summer. The carnage was devastating :?

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 08:00:41 AM »
 So; for all the addicts like me who have been checking daily (okay, more often than that) I think a funding round is in order - say $17.42 for Lim and one small beer for BOb the elf (being elven they have lower consumption :cheers: for what you do.

I too go straight to the Forum so I will take a detour via the Home page next.

John

A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 09:14:17 AM »
SJF survived...That is all that matters. :clap Thank you for your effort Bob.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 10:47:13 AM »
Bobc: Advancing elfin magic - one pesky web site at a time!  :clap :clap :cheers:  lol8
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 07:02:48 PM »
My overall take on the situation - is that I will find/designate a way for youse guys to get messages to me when the site/Forum is down.  I'll use something universally accessible like Gmail - not Facebook, or my personal email.  Lemme think what to use. 

And - this might sound kinda pissy but it's not meant that way.

"Yes, I DO know that the site/Forum is down"

gets tiring to send out time after time all day long.  Thanks for checking, one and all.  I do commend you on the creative use of today's communications to find me, but geez - I commonly check the site about eleventeen times a day and night, and keep a tab open on it about 100% of the time I've got a 'puter running.  It's unusual for me to not know something's wrong.  I don't like it when the site is not running right any more than you do.

Thanks for all of the support (for Bob, too) from all of you. :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 10:33:19 AM »
Slim,
How about when the site is down just replace the index.html home/landing page to a page with a message that you know the site is down and are working to restore it. That way everyone will know the status and not be wondering and you won't get 100's of emails from people who want to know what is going on.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 11:12:00 AM »
Slim,
How about when the site is down just replace the index.html home/landing page to a page with a message that you know the site is down and are working to restore it. That way everyone will know the status and not be wondering and you won't get 100's of emails from people who want to know what is going on.

Don

When it went down, the whole thing went DOWN.   :?  We had no access to anything.  Home page, forum, gallery, web space.... all totally blown away.  Yeah, I know it's frustrating just having it disappear with no explanation.  If they'd have just turned it off, then back on, fine......  but we really got totally blindsided.
Web Elf

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 11:16:29 AM »
Bob said:

When it went down, the whole thing went DOWN.   :?  We had no access to anything.  Home page, forum, gallery, web space.... all totally blown away.  Yeah, I know it's frustrating just having it disappear with no explanation.  If they'd have just turned it off, then back on, fine......  but we really got totally blindsided.

Yeah - what he said.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline desotoman

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 12:21:55 PM »
Bob said:

Yeah - what he said.

Bob and Slim,

Just a suggestion, if this ever happens again and to avoid all the phone calls, emails etc. asking what the heck happened. How about just contacting the SCTA, ECTA, USFRA, and all the other land speed sites listed on the homepage and ask them to put a simple message on their Websites saying that the website is down, being worked on, and will be back up in a while. I would hope that would help eliminate all the people asking what happened. Just a thought.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 01:24:30 PM »
Bob said:

Yeah - what he said.

Bob and Slim,

Just a suggestion, if this ever happens again and to avoid all the phone calls, emails etc. asking what the heck happened. How about just contacting the SCTA, ECTA, USFRA, and all the other land speed sites listed on the homepage and ask them to put a simple message on their Websites saying that the website is down, being worked on, and will be back up in a while. I would hope that would help eliminate all the people asking what happened. Just a thought.

Tom G.

We hope this kind of Studebaker never happens again!!!!!  But it's a good idea, though Jon gets all the calls and such, not me.    :-D :-D :-D
Web Elf

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2020, 04:37:43 PM »
Wait a frogging minute....Studebaker has replaced Subaru on the naughty word filter?? As a long time Studie owner, I am offended. cromag
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline noboD

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2020, 04:47:05 PM »
Bob said:

Yeah - what he said.

Bob and Slim,

Tom G.
  Or post it on the HAMB. Lots of crossovers.