Author Topic: 2 speed vs th400  (Read 3426 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: 2 speed vs th400
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2020, 11:53:29 AM »
csr57c,

Maybe I missed it but what venue do you plan on running? Bonneville, El Mirage,
ECTA events, Texas mile, Maine event, or all? Also when you say fuel will it be straight alky, or only 25 percent Alky with 75 percent Nitro. The more information you can supply the better forum members will be able to help you, so you don't spend money on the wrong item. JMO.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2020, 03:42:13 PM »
csr57c,

Maybe I missed it but what venue do you plan on running? Bonneville, El Mirage,
ECTA events, Texas mile, Maine event, or all? Also when you say fuel will it be straight alky, or only 25 percent Alky with 75 percent Nitro. The more information you can supply the better forum members will be able to help you, so you don't spend money on the wrong item. JMO.

Tom G.

Sort of what I was getting at in reply number  1      :|
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline JR529

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2020, 06:58:23 PM »
Thank everyone for your input. We are newbies. I was wanting to stay with an automatic because my daughter is going to be the driver and I want to give her something she can just get down the track with the first year. We are building a fuel roadster with a d class engine. I have some experience with direct drive power glide but was not sure if the gear split would be an issue.  Thanks again.

On our roadster (E/BGR, 225@ElMo and 260@Bonneville) we run the TH400 and have put many different drivers in the car. The one thing we dont worry about is them missing a shift. If they can pull a single lever then they can shift it correctly. We have run 8 different drivers over the last 8 years and the one thing they all have in common is none have ever missed a shift.

I dont know about the glide (2 gears isn't very much) but the 3 speed has worked extremely well for us.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2020, 10:50:46 PM »
go with the KiwI I have run a glide and a turbo 400 I haven't run the 4L80E the 4000 rpm drop is hard on stuff but I got my hat with it  the 400 you can eliminate the torque converter fairly easily wth a pump drive the 4L80 you will have to doo lots of stuff or run the lock up as Sid suggested !!  :friday
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2020, 09:45:42 AM »
If your running fuel naturally aspirated and your going to use nitro your wont need any gears. I ran 80% in high gear only over 200. A PG  would get you away from the push truck then get it into high quickly and start squeezing the throttle nice and ez.. Make sure you've got a big enough rear gear because when you run out of horsepower before the 5 pushing that flat grille shell will give you the ride of your life.  :wink:
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro