Author Topic: Fish Scales reduce drag 25%  (Read 7001 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Fish Scales reduce drag 25%
« on: October 10, 2020, 02:43:54 PM »
Here is a great article that researchers have found that fish scales reduce drag 25% vs a smooth surface.

Evidently the overlapping fish scales reduce drag by causing a zig-zag motion of the water:
"Professor Bruecker's team has discovered that the fish-scale array produces a zig-zag motion of fluid in overlapping regions of the surface of the fish, which in turn causes periodic velocity modulation and a streaky flow that can eliminate Tollmien-Schlichting wave induced transition to reduce skin friction drag by more than 25 percent."

Fish are low-speed of course, but the aerodynamicists think this could apply to high speed aircraft.

https://phys.org/news/2020-10-aerodynamicists-reveal-link-fish-scales.html

Someone try this on an LSR car and tell us the results!

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline jacksoni

Re: Fish Scales reduce drag 25%
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 02:57:59 PM »
With the exception of Comp Coupe where streamlining is allowed, I think this would run afoul of rule 4.CC. Would try in a wind tunnel first and for sure before spending bunch of money (if the above suggested did indicate a benefit) get a formal answer from SCTA if going to one of their meets. JMHO
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 03:52:22 PM »
Jack, wouldn't an orange peel paint job do the same thing and still be legal?  :?
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 04:03:43 PM »
Hmmmm. Well I think an orange peel paint job runs afoul of rule # 2.K Appearance in that all vehicles......present a neat appearance...... LOL  :dhorse: :dhorse: Nice try.  :friday lol8 muutt
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline drmayf

• New folks
  • TWFS (w)
    • Mayfield Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 08:13:00 PM »
Certainly an interesting thought. As to rules violations, seems to me that it would be no worse than adding small vortex generators to control the flow around a vehicle.   There are a lot of factors to consider and one is of dynamic similitude or dimensional analysis. While the thought seems reasonable when you start comparing water flow to air flow and the different densities in the fluids and the and the vastly different speed associated, it  would need to be computationally addressed. I suspect that the scale of the fish body, those with scales probably don't work for higher speeds. No proof but suspect something like that. For instance, why do sharks  have no scales? Sharks a damned fast in the water for the size and very energy efficient. Once you folk do the dimensional analysis then do some trading fact work to determine the cost benefit of making the changes.  Might find that fast means really small scales (barracuda goes fast but aren't their scales pretty small. Heck since we are supposing, why not just take a ballpein hammer and dimple the vehicle all over  like a golf ball.

Anyhoo,  all ya'll have fun figuring it out! i think you might find it rather difficult to design such a drag reducing system. Why not active boundary layer control?  Or dang, just add more turbo boost... cheaper...

drmayf TWFS
drmayf
Pahrump, NV
Home to the
World's Fastest Sunbeam (wannabe)

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 08:21:14 PM »
With great respect to Dr Mayf, "small vortex generators" are illegal too....(except where streamlining is allowed=/CC)
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 09:37:46 PM »
Most people don't realize that all species of sharks are naturally turbocharged.  I saw that fact on the intranet.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline gowing

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 09:44:56 PM »
With great respect to Dr Mayf, "small vortex generators" are illegal too....(except where streamlining is allowed=/CC)
Quoted from the article:
"Their surprising research outcome runs counter to the common belief that roughness promotes by-pass transition. Instead, the scales largely increase the stability of the base flow similar to an array of vortex generators."

similar to is not the same as,... so maybe it would be legal?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 09:50:41 PM by gowing »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 10:07:25 PM »
Let's not restrict streamlining just to Competition Coupes.  I believe it's allowed in S classes, too.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline aircap

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 11:53:51 PM »
Lots of salt racers run flat black. Why not wrinkle paint? Or better yet - cover the car with truck bed coating.

Didn't Petty run a vinyl roof on one of his racers because the engineers thought it added a mile or two to the top end? I know NASCAR tech suspected it, and off came the vinyl.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 12:35:08 AM »
How many mph will I get from this?

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 01:29:24 AM »
I had no idea that we ought to try eliminating the Tollmien-Schlichter wave-induced transition. :roll:
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 10:30:47 AM »
Most fish are coated with a layer of slime that gives them a smooth surface over the scales.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2020, 10:31:48 AM »
I have an idea that one of the Americas Cup Yachts had some special surface coating a while back but then again, those teams can afford to buy up tons of fish; what adhesive would you use to stick the scales on with; I bet they gave that job to the apprentice; man this job stinks  :-D
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2020, 11:57:50 AM »
How many mph will I get from this?

I have an idea that one of the Americas Cup Yachts had some special surface coating a while back but then again, those teams can afford to buy up tons of fish; what adhesive would you use to stick the scales on with; I bet they gave that job to the apprentice; man this job stinks  :-D

Thanks, great way to start the morning with a hearty laugh.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.