Author Topic: Motorcycle forks weight limits?  (Read 1920 times)

Offline jdolecki

• New folks
Motorcycle forks weight limits?
« on: October 06, 2020, 08:21:41 AM »
I looked at a lot of Motorcycle streamline pictures. Are the factory front fork able to handle the extra weight of a streamliner chassis? I have a set of Hayabusa forks and was curious about the total weight they can carry.

thanks,john

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: Motorcycle forks weight limits?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 11:24:10 AM »
I have not actually built a M/C streamliner before but I don't think factory forks are used. They are just way too tall. Streamliners must be very low to the ground so factory front forks just would not work especially your Hayabusa forks which are over 3' tall. The BUB streamliner has a fork system but it looks custom made.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline edinlr

Re: Motorcycle forks weight limits?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 11:26:11 AM »
A couple thoughts on this question.  First, I doubt any streamliners are going to use conventional forks.  Upright bikes with lots of streamlining probably would.  In that case stock forks would be fine as long as the springs were set up for the weight of the bike.  I think a bigger concern for the really fast bikes is the tires and making sure they can handle both the load and the speed.  At high speeds there just isn't a lot of margin for a bad tire, that's why they are inspected so closely.  I just looked at one of my Bonneville bikes and even though the tire has less than 100 miles on it, there is a slit about 4" long down the center, guess that is my new dyno tire.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo