Author Topic: BMST Racers, Question about the line down the middle of the track  (Read 2985 times)

Offline DRW

Question to BMST Racers, I seem to think that all other sanctions at Bonneville , Like Speedweeks, World Finals Etc, Run a line down the center of the track, I kinda like it, Not sure because its Old School, or it seems its just easy to stay close to the line ? But BMST Doesnt run a line, Did they ever back in the BUB days ? Ive run since 2014 and
we have never,  What do you other racers think ?
Doesnt Mean That Much To me, To Mean That Much To You !

Offline JR529

Re: BMST Racers, Question about the line down the middle of the track
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 01:09:22 PM »
SCTA stopped specifically running a line down the center of the track about 15 years ago. You may still see one if the track has been moved since they typically move the track a half width to the side each time and a side line ends up in  the middle but that is not by design. The reason given at the time for the removal is that everyone would drive right down the center (like you said you would do), tearing it up almost straight away rather than using the full width of the available course. People were drawn to it and all it took was a single high HP vehicle to tear up the "entire" course (if everyone ran only on the center).

I cant see this being an issue at BMST as the bikes seem to be nowhere near as tough on a course.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 02:07:02 PM »
The blue line was in the center of the course at World Finals last week.  There were no lines on either side of the course.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 11:16:44 PM »
A double blue line in the center with single blue lines on the sides would be great.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 08:06:51 AM »
I have a friend who for three years now has been trying to get a handle on his Top Fuel Nitro dragbike, he gets to half track and shuts the thing down,, I questioned why after all this time he was not going beyond half track, he answered that he looks out to the side under his arm at the centreline, thinks he's near the finish and shuts it down. "Say What",,

We have lost a number of competitors at the Tarmac events who have not backed off and ridden to their deaths out the back door,, are thay stareing at the centreline and loseing comprehenshion of where on the track thay are ??

On the salt we have a track that's 80' (?) wide, with a marker either side every 1/4 mile, and clearly distinguished Mile markers, and Timed Mile section,,

At speed,  I would think that one would have his focus of sight and awareness at a given point down track compariable to his speed,, and thru peripheral vision be totally aware as to where he is on track,,

Why do we need a centreline ????????
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 11:59:53 AM »
I cant see this being an issue at BMST as the bikes seem to be nowhere near as tough on a course.

Certainly not as bad as high HP cars, but the course does get pretty rutted if the salt is soft. I was surprised to hear how many riders went off course the first day or two at BMST2019. I've never had an issue with navigation the way it is currently laid out (knock on wood), but maybe a center line would help to keep the newbs from drifting over from the mountain course to the international course. On the other hand I'm not sure that making it easier to put your head down and not keep track of where you are on the course is the best idea. I can chat with Del about it next time I see her.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 01:07:00 PM »
"A double blue line in the center with single blue lines on the sides would be great."

That takes 4 times the manpower to do ? especially for a lightly attended meet.

I've never been much over 200, but aiming to go between the quarter mile flags ahead (and picking up the next set as soon as possible) can keep you pretty centered.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline DRW

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 10:16:14 PM »
So,, The Fixation One is the one that is most talked about, And,,I Get It !!
Still,I wish there was just a little more of something, Maybe a 3ft blue line ever 1/16 of a mile
on each side, If your doing over a hundred ,It might show up ?  BUT , , , I Cant say I ever hear the really fast riders talk about this stuff ?    So, I think Ill Move on !

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 12:27:47 PM »
As lond as we're beating this dead horse, let me add another aspect to it. How about marking the turn-offs with a short (~10ft) diagonal blue line on the side of the course to show where to turn off. Visibility in a LSR car isn't great so identifying where to turn off would be a help.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 12:36:49 PM »
I think in the future we're gonna have to step up and pave the whole damm thing.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 01:29:50 PM »
AT WF last week there was a blue line down the center of the course, and each turnout was marked by a "branch" of the blue center line following the turnout.

In other words, each turnout had a full-length blue line from the course to the return road.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 01:46:46 PM »
Jon, that's what I was suggesting. I had not seen it done before.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 01:57:24 PM »
It was the first time... looked good... they also did not drag "roadster" turnouts... you know the ones with a tight turn at the end that only the roadsters can make... the turnouts were designed to exit the course and hit the return going the same direction... great for low cars designed to go straight, lakesters and streamliners.  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline DRW

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2020, 11:10:42 PM »
I Didnt Even want to bring up turn outs,, And What seems like such an easy fix,
Do the Organizers never take a run down the salt ??  And see this thing we all talk about ?
Do they forget how its WHITE OUT Everywhere, And always way worse Over 100 Mph ?