Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2020 -- the event itself!!  (Read 72319 times)

Offline MX304

Re: SpeedWeek 2020 -- the event itself!!
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2020, 12:58:26 PM »
Alright Speed Demon freaks. They are getting ready to start the engine. Then load it up,should be on the starting line soon. A little while ago CA was 6100 ft. Hope the new track is good in the 5 mile
Did they get a good run?

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2020, 01:33:56 PM »
Alright Speed Demon freaks. They are getting ready to start the engine. Then load it up,should be on the starting line soon. A little while ago CA was 6100 ft. Hope the new track is good in the 5 mile
Did they get a good run?

From the teams Instagram:
The car stopped pulling between the 1st and 2nd mile. According to the team, the rear end is toast. They stripped the spline on the bottom shaft. They are repairing it now.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2020, 02:35:47 PM »
Tom, what's their IG tag?
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Tman

« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2020, 02:50:58 PM »
Mike, try danny_burrow

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2020, 03:03:11 PM »
Tom, what's their IG tag?
speeddemonracingteam

or

maxwell_industries

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2020, 03:38:00 PM »
Thanks guys!
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2020, 05:48:52 PM »
Cant find the usual daily run & record results on the SCTA page, anyone know where they might be posted

Offline JR529

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2020, 05:52:11 PM »
Right in the middle of the page; 1st entry in the green Bonneville box,

Mike

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2020, 09:38:05 PM »
Hey - 11 hours of babbling and I can still talk.  Sorta.  To tell the truth, I'm pleasantly surprised at how little irritation I'm feeling.  Maybe the air conditioner is blowing cough syrup or something.

17 cars and 10 bikes are in impound tonight.  I think that's a few more than this morning, and before you ask there isn't (yet) a prepared list of who's what and how fast, so don't ask. 8-).  Return runs begin with the parade to the line at about 7.30 with runs probably starting at about 8 and oughta be all done on both courses by 9.15 or so.

Course one was dragged a bit tonight.  The course is really course 1b since it's the second of three course 1s that were prepared.  I have no idea of what, if anything, is/was being done on course 2 for tomorrow.

I heard pleasant exclamations of surprise at the number of spectators (and racers) at SpeedWeek.  But tonight on my way I chatted with the guys that know better than dang near anyone else how many.  That'd be Matt and Craig from Honey Buckets.  They told me that they had expected that they could skip pumping the units Wednesday based on first expectations -- last week.  As of tonight they said they'd be back as scheduled Tues and Weds.

Sorry I forgot the music was on in  the background.  I goofed up.

Ah, that's enough.  Catch ya laturrr...
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline ClayTaylorTX

• New folks
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2020, 11:06:25 PM »
Slim - it was a pleasure listening to you today.  You are the Garrison Keillor of Motorsport.  Very odd thing, though - I turned on the Live Stream this morning just in time to catch the first pass by George Poteet and hear his turn out.  I then kept the broadcast going for a few hours while I did paper work, then I left the iPad for a little bit and the broadcast kicked off. 
When I turned it back on, Poteet was just hitting the second mile and going through the 5 at 396-ish mph.  Obviously a problem.   Went to the Speed Demon 715 FB page to see that they had lost a few cylinders.  I listened for a while longer, than had to do errands.
 Coming back to the iPad, I turned on the Live Stream just in time to hear you say that the 715 was next up.  It was a pleasure to hear you say 428mph in the 5th mile!   
Spooky timing - every time I turned on the broadcast, George was making a run.  I hope that I can hear them set the record on Tuesday!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 11:09:20 PM by ClayTaylorTX »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2020, 12:14:20 AM »
The Speed Demon race team has an ace in the hole that dang near nobody knows about.  George's sister is Betty Howard, and she's making sure I'm fed and have snacks and so on.  She is a sweetheart and I've known her for years and if her big brother weren't George Poteet I'd consider ----- ah, mmm, never mind what I was thinking.

I had a great time out there today, as per the norm.  I'd like to solicit a helper or two out there in internet land.  I hear so many bits and pieces each day and pass them along on the audio -- that maybe somebody oughta transcribe them and post the bunch of tidbits as a daily summary.   It's not like I pay attention to what I'm saying, yanno.  And my penmanship sucks now with the gunged-up right paw of mine.

C ya.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline MX304

« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2020, 12:31:43 AM »
Anyone know who the chase helicopter is filming for?

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

• F/GC Record Holder 164.845
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2020, 02:16:34 AM »
Slim,

You are doing a great job as usual. The fact that you are by yourself this year, I'm surprised you still have a voice.

Thank you much for the information and your entertainment/humor.

My family is very sorry we aren't there this year .... sometimes things are just beyond your control. This is one of those times.  Sooner of later the Mk VIII will be back at the salt in it's  BGC/F  configuration.  Sounds like the salt is holding up pretty well this year, so it's a bummer to miss the opportunity to be there.

Anyway  Thank you for your Efforts and keep up the good work. I'll be listening to the back-up runs in the morning.

Good luck to all the racers ....Stay safe.

Jon  C.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 02:21:56 AM by Hot Rod Lincoln »

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2020, 11:00:23 AM »
It's a pleasure listening to you Slim rather than the EX-PERT who could care less about the "little" guy and missed giving speeds since they weren't the "big" guys. You are doing a great job since we can we realize there are not many inline or running as in the past. Thanks again
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro