Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2020 -- the event itself!!  (Read 72314 times)

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Re: SpeedWeek 2020 -- the event itself!!
« Reply #240 on: August 17, 2020, 08:25:08 AM »
SCTA FB page has a promising update on Ralph Hudson.

Rouse

We have an update on Ralph Hudson from his son David.

Ralph is in the hospital as he continues to recover from injuries suffered in the crash at Bonneville on Friday. He arrived at the hospital in serious condition but has stabilized over the last two days. Doctors will continue to monitor the situation closely and we hope for continued improvement in the days ahead.

Thank you to everyone who has shared their well-wishes and offered support, and we hope to share more positive news soon.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #241 on: August 17, 2020, 09:36:34 AM »
Thanks for posting the update here, I wasn't sure how to do that. So I did the next best thing.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #242 on: August 18, 2020, 11:46:38 AM »
It doesn't sound like Roger and his team were too friendly to each other for whatever reason. No doubt there were words said here or there at some point that triggered this. I am sure they began the build on good terms. Roger removed his comments about them turning down the power on him and EV West said they would be sharing data logs to prove that they didn't so maybe in the end it was all a misunderstanding. However, it does seem that he didn't know about this other driver and if that is true then that is not cool. It may not be illegal or necessarily wrong but it's just not cool.

I think it's a beautiful car and they built it in record time apparently. I still think the name is dumb though. They should have named it Elakester.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #243 on: August 18, 2020, 11:55:00 AM »
was there a new entry fee/and or new driver fee paid ? on the EV II shucsssss box ? :naughty
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #244 on: August 18, 2020, 11:55:00 AM »
It could be as simple as Roger and EV had a falling out after the record was obtained and Roger left town.  EV wanted to continue, and heard that Jim had electric vehicle experience, so they asked him to drive.

I think it is very unfair to Jim for people to assume that he was hired prior to Roger finishing his passes.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline desotoman

« Reply #245 on: August 18, 2020, 04:50:09 PM »
Justin,

The way I read what Rodger said is that we all packed up. To me that means everyone was calling it a meet and going home.

Tom G.

Post from Electraliner...
So here's the latest....
....now after we all packed up and left they went back with different driver they found days early to take my record away.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline JR529

« Reply #246 on: August 18, 2020, 07:03:13 PM »
I would just be wary about the story as it has been posted here. Definitely one sided and written to paint one side as the best and the other as the worst. The facts as described here just don't add up.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #247 on: August 18, 2020, 07:24:57 PM »
Gentlemen, let me say this carefully but as a bit of explanation.  I was on the salt and took some time to learn more about the entire 1100 electric car/team/driver(s)/etc.  I did not meet Roger Hickey, but I did chat with some of the guys on the team.  I saw them BEFORE the big hoo-hah.  I talked with Jim Hoogerhyde, but then -- I talk with him quite a few times when we're on the salt.  After all, he is the "other" Slim out there.  Some officials got into my conversations, too.  And my resulting comment to youse guys is:
Let It Rest.

I'm comfortable saying, with the knowledge that I have gathered, that it's not worth our time to guess, hypothecate, or pontificate.  The personal aspects of racing are well-known to most, if not all, of us.  Let's get back to bikes and cars, not personalities.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #248 on: August 18, 2020, 07:33:55 PM »
Slim, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #249 on: August 19, 2020, 01:10:54 AM »
Wise words Slim. As always.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #250 on: August 19, 2020, 07:56:20 AM »
Well said Slim ! In the words of Rodney King ?can?t we all just get along ? AMEN !!  :cheers:

Offline tortoise

« Reply #251 on: August 19, 2020, 02:32:00 PM »
The 1622 F/FL car that looks like the Larsen-Cummins roadster . . . Is it? And why is it running as a lakester?

Offline SPDRACR

« Reply #252 on: August 19, 2020, 02:44:54 PM »
No its not, But he made a home made body that's is not an exact copy of the original.
So they are letting him run as a lakester .
salt is OK, but the DIRT is where it's at!
Proud 2nd generation Roadster Racer
Muroc 2 club, El Mirage 2 club, Now Bonneville 2 club,       All in a Roadster

Offline tortoise

« Reply #253 on: August 19, 2020, 02:50:52 PM »
Per section 5.A, modified production bodies are prohibited in the special construction category. It's moot, I guess, if they didn't set a record, but "time only" would seem more appropriate.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #254 on: August 19, 2020, 03:33:51 PM »
But it's not a Modified Production Body, it's a non-exact tribute look-similar body that would be of no advantage in Lakester.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records