Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2020 -- the event itself!!  (Read 72300 times)

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

• F/GC Record Holder 164.845
Re: SpeedWeek 2020 -- the event itself!!
« Reply #225 on: August 15, 2020, 06:25:49 PM »

Any news on Ralph?

JL222

I seen a post on FB that the family would like privacy.   :-(

Prayers sent.  Dang it.

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

• F/GC Record Holder 164.845
« Reply #226 on: August 15, 2020, 06:28:23 PM »

"Evil"  is a pretty strong word.

There must be some bad bad  blood there. Or the TEAM really didn't think all that much of him after the FACT
[/quote]

That's why religion and politics should be curbed.  When I went to the pits it was said to me, "this side is on the right and that side is on the left".  Seems to be bad blood there.
[/quote]

It being an "E" vehicle I just assumed they were all on the Left   :-o    :wink:

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #227 on: August 15, 2020, 06:34:13 PM »
It being an "E" vehicle I just assumed they were all on the Left   :-o    :wink:

I am considering an electric racer, and I surely am not of that faction.   :wink:
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #228 on: August 15, 2020, 11:10:25 PM »
Salt... please do not use my name in any paragraph that would say or imply I said the word ?evil?.  Evil is a word I use to describe certain California and Federal politicians.
Jimmy I'm fairly sure everyone associated the "E"-word with the quote by Wickedwagons in his post #177. We may call you many things but you most certainly can't be accused of being a politician!   :-D :evil: :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 01:59:39 AM by Saltfever »

Offline superleggera

« Reply #229 on: August 16, 2020, 03:11:48 AM »
The E-deal -- who was the entrant of record with the SCTA to run it at SpeedWeek 2020?  If it was run without permission of said entrant who registered it, can said entrant then petition the SCTA to have the record stricken and removed? (and thus nullify the record)  No clue how to ask who the entrant was or the actual owner but it makes for an interesting valid question.
- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #230 on: August 16, 2020, 04:50:15 AM »
The E-deal -- who was the entrant of record with the SCTA to run it at SpeedWeek 2020?  If it was run without permission of said entrant who registered it, can said entrant then petition the SCTA to have the record stricken and removed? (and thus nullify the record)  No clue how to ask who the entrant was or the actual owner but it makes for an interesting valid question.

Well, ... the entry list on-line has (for car 1100):
  • Entry Name: Roger Hickey
  • Driver Name: Roger Hickey

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #231 on: August 16, 2020, 10:53:14 AM »
Regarding the Roger Hickey entry............I was a first-time spectator at the event from Friday through Wednesday.....I mostly pay attention to bikes, but more than 'looked' at most of the cars.......I spent most of Sunday through Wednesday at the start-lines and usually could here SSS on the FM broadcast.........I was asked by one of the motorcycle riders if I could help a bit since his current 'crew' was leaving at the end of Tuesday.......I acquired a red bracelet and awaited the rider but never saw him......I was aware of the 'talk' that was given to Roger by one of the start-line officials after he did 192-mph on a 125-qualifier run.........On Wednesday AM the car was in line but the crew and Roger were having problems getting him fitted in the car.......appeared to cut away some padding and part of his neck-brace. I talked with Roger while he sat in the shade of a trailer and waited for the crew to tell him the batteries were ready for a run to exceed 175-mph.......Roger explained to me why he used spoked wheels on the front of the lakester and how the speedo in the car needed to be moved from the left to center........he also told me he had wanted to have a hand-controlled accelerator but 'they' (whoever) would not allow it. He said the foot-pedal was a long-stroke and did not deliver an even amount of power per inch of movement.......Only one person in the crew directly helped Roger into and out of the car......the same person also conveyed the battery info.

My opinion.........Roger was apparently the design/builder of the chassis and body........the crew installed the power components........I have never observed a 'colder' relationship between a crew and driver. I have no idea why or what circumstances caused Roger to leave the salt and allow the crew to change the decals and negotiate for a new driver.

Regarding changing the decals and driver...........I have close friends that qualified to run at the Daytona 500 for more than a dozen years, and finished all but one race...........that was when a big-name team had crashed both of their cars so they paid my friend's driver to be a spectator and quickly repainted their car........all after certain $$$ changed hands..........that car finished the race and was then taken to a photo-shoot for additional $$$ to my friends. I have no idea what the SCTA rules are or 'were', but I am sure something will have to be said by the event organizers.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #232 on: August 16, 2020, 10:55:45 AM »
On the issue of money and Speed demon.  You will never hear me cry about losing to money. As Dan pointed out earlier,  don?t enter into top level classes and complain about money.  However,  you can never ignore the factor money plays. It doesn?t take anything away from the talent or quality of people involved in either end. The bottom line for me is that I went home because of the budget I run on. I didn?t have the spare parts required to keep running. Speed demon broke more parts than I did but they had spares (money) to allow then to keep running.  The cars performance is a testament to all involved. The bragging about how many runs they have over 400 is simply that they have spent more money than all others.  All the people involved are paid on that car. Take away the money you take away the talent. Most other racers run on volunteer crews. Kudos to George for supporting the hobby.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 10:57:38 AM by Eddieschopshop »

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #233 on: August 16, 2020, 03:55:14 PM »
There's one heck of a lot of us folks in the racing community that have been praying for the best for Ralph Hudson, and I'd ask that we keep up our prayers till he makes a full recovery.
I haven't heard any updates on his condition since Friday, just praying he's doing better as time goes by. If the Ralph or his family need any help with anything, please let us know.

Rouse

Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline jl222

« Reply #234 on: August 16, 2020, 04:31:09 PM »
On the issue of money and Speed demon.  You will never hear me cry about losing to money. As Dan pointed out earlier,  don?t enter into top level classes and complain about money.  However,  you can never ignore the factor money plays. It doesn?t take anything away from the talent or quality of people involved in either end. The bottom line for me is that I went home because of the budget I run on. I didn?t have the spare parts required to keep running. Speed demon broke more parts than I did but they had spares (money) to allow then to keep running.  The cars performance is a testament to all involved. The bragging about how many runs they have over 400 is simply that they have spent more money than all others.  All the people involved are paid on that car. Take away the money you take away the talent. Most other racers run on volunteer crews. Kudos to George for supporting the hobby.

Dan said '' don't enter into top level classes and complain about money'' where did he say that?

He told me if I didn't like it go run hobby stocks. But we run blown gas altered.

I never said I don't like it . Just a cost comparison why is that upsetting?

Interesting to see if any A or AA blown fuel streamliners will be built starting from his record date.

Has Dan ever build a Bville car,engine, or owned a car?

jl222
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 08:24:51 PM by jl222 »

Offline RichFox

« Reply #235 on: August 16, 2020, 07:42:24 PM »
The new Flashpoint is going togeather

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #236 on: August 16, 2020, 07:50:34 PM »

Allright,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Now that is a bit of good news. Good luck to those guys.

Offline jl222

« Reply #237 on: August 16, 2020, 07:53:59 PM »
  So is Doug Herbert's streamliner. I mean started from 8/14/20

JL222

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #238 on: August 16, 2020, 07:57:15 PM »
I agree completely with cost comparison. It is a huge very relevant factor.

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #239 on: August 17, 2020, 07:48:57 AM »
SCTA FB page has a promising update on Ralph Hudson.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.