Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2020 -- the event itself!!  (Read 72329 times)

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Re: SpeedWeek 2020 -- the event itself!!
« Reply #210 on: August 15, 2020, 12:31:15 PM »
From EV West's Facebook page about 6am this morning;

During Bonneville Speed Week 2020 we celebrated a new class record on Thursday morning with an official speed of 218 mph driven by Roger Hickey. We ran the car as hard as possible before losing power during both runs, a common occurrence on Bonneville?s long course. In the pursuit of speed, the team tried utilizing a longer more aggressive pre-chill of the drive components and a different starting technique with lighter throttle inputs. We were able to just scratch out another 11 mph before losing power again. In Roger?s absence, the car was piloted by a previous electric land speed record holder, Jim Hoogerhyde. We didn?t limit either driver?s power. We wish it was that easy! Hot conditions and Bonneville were the factors that limited our speed. Land speed racing is tough. We will be back to try again. Stay tuned for our data dump when we return to the shop. In the meantime, celebrate Roger?s record and inclusion into the 200 mph club. Celebrate speed and always try to go faster.....
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #211 on: August 15, 2020, 12:32:15 PM »
In the comments to that post, EV West commented;

Roger?s top speed was over 225 mph during a licensing run.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #212 on: August 15, 2020, 12:33:17 PM »
Roger Hickey them commented;

The car never shut off except one time when the 12v battery died......it would just get to 221 and slowly go slower. I drove the car off the track every run as to not cause the next racer anymore time waiting in line.
Either way it was 50% my car and I knew nothing of this horrible decietful plan. Why was my name and companies name removed from MY BODY?

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #213 on: August 15, 2020, 12:33:42 PM »
My heartfelt best wishes go out for Ralph and his loved ones and I wish him a speedy and, most importantly, a complete recovery.

However, Jimmy I don't consider the current discussion trivial BS.  Calling another LSR team "Evil" based on ones complete misunderstanding begs to be clarified. And it doesn't serve the complainer well continuing on in ignorance.  I am still confused about post #177 by Wickedwagens just as others have stated. Hopefully, I can give a factual example that simplifies the issue.

"Evil"  is a pretty strong word.

There must be some bad bad  blood there. Or the TEAM really didn't think all that much of him after the FACT

That's why religion and politics should be curbed.  When I went to the pits it was said to me, "this side is on the right and that side is on the left".  Seems to be bad blood there.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #214 on: August 15, 2020, 01:22:57 PM »
 Is it good form to air this out on a public forum? What if the second driver had deep pockets and said lets give Roger his doe and let me get a feel for your power Etc. and I'll throw a 100k at a streamliner that will put less load on the battery and get to 300 mph. Hypothetical of course , but what if??? Like was previously said TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY. :-o :-D

Offline racergeo

« Reply #215 on: August 15, 2020, 02:40:46 PM »
   As for the Removal of Rogers decal and putting some other "sponsor decals" in a prominent location for the sake of a picture, is that a crime?  NASCAR does it all the time. I've done it. Just trying to throw some people a bone for the sake of a picture in there office? probable a very innocent thing. Pure conjecture on my part, but trying to put a positive spin on it. Can't we all just get alone :-D :-D :lol:

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #216 on: August 15, 2020, 02:55:23 PM »
 Speedweek update 2020. Im happy to report once again the flathead Ford powered Rons Hobby Shop Special {aka the Mistress wife's name for car} once again set a record. We had a lot of issues with the intake my son and I fabricated a long time ago causing a drop in boost by mile number 2  we used JB weld epoxy and blue Permitex silicone sealer to help seal things up the best we could.  Doing this helped give us a strong 190 qualifying run when prior to that we were stuck in the 180's. Data still showed we were loosing boost mid run on the qualifier so we decided to speed the blower up a bit adding a couple more pounds of boost which in theory would help give us a top end push even with the loss of boost after mile two. All went well until the blower belt decided it was time to retire!  However the speed by mile three was fast enough to get back in impound and  the record. The salt conditions were outstanding I feel even better than the surface in 2018.
 We all would like to thank the entire SCTA crew for putting on the event. The efforts put forth by the board to even pull off the event  Im sure was overwhelming those of us who had the opportunity to run greatly appreciate everything.  Since we began running at Speedweek in 2016 we have now set six records. Its a long drive home and we must now quarantine but it was all worth it for sure.
 Now were getting ready to run at the LTA event next month in Maine our record setting ARDUN which has been sitting since 2017 is going back in the car time to run in the 200 range again.
    Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline gray63

« Reply #217 on: August 15, 2020, 03:21:49 PM »
Speedweek update 2020. Im happy to report once again the flathead Ford powered Rons Hobby Shop Special {aka the Mistress wife's name for car} once again set a record. We had a lot of issues with the intake my son and I fabricated a long time ago causing a drop in boost by mile number 2  we used JB weld epoxy and blue Permitex silicone sealer to help seal things up the best we could.  Doing this helped give us a strong 190 qualifying run when prior to that we were stuck in the 180's. Data still showed we were loosing boost mid run on the qualifier so we decided to speed the blower up a bit adding a couple more pounds of boost which in theory would help give us a top end push even with the loss of boost after mile two. All went well until the blower belt decided it was time to retire!  However the speed by mile three was fast enough to get back in impound and  the record. The salt conditions were outstanding I feel even better than the surface in 2018.
 We all would like to thank the entire SCTA crew for putting on the event. The efforts put forth by the board to even pull off the event  Im sure was overwhelming those of us who had the opportunity to run greatly appreciate everything.  Since we began running at Speedweek in 2016 we have now set six records. Its a long drive home and we must now quarantine but it was all worth it for sure.
 Now were getting ready to run at the LTA event next month in Maine our record setting ARDUN which has been sitting since 2017 is going back in the car time to run in the 200 range again.
    Ronnieroadster

Congratulation to Ron and Ron Jr.  We were listening to your runs on livestreaming and cheering for your team. Hard work and dedication pays off.
Dave Gray
Mechanicsburg, Pa.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #218 on: August 15, 2020, 04:22:01 PM »
Salt... please do not use my name in any paragraph that would say or imply I said the word ?evil?.

Evil is a word I use to describe certain California and Federal politicians.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline saltracer1

« Reply #219 on: August 15, 2020, 04:40:01 PM »
    Ronnieroadster

congratulations Ronnie and your whole crew, I believe you guys where the only flathead powered car to set a record in 2020!

Offline JC Sparks

• www.JCSPARKS1.com
« Reply #220 on: August 15, 2020, 04:52:10 PM »

[/quote]When I went to the pits it was said to me, "this side is on the right and that side is on the left". [/quote]

30 years of Top Fuel racing under my belt.  I can't remember how many times it turned into this. It takes the fun right out of it.
Nitromethane is liquid heroin.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #221 on: August 15, 2020, 05:37:12 PM »
I used to have a dog named Cheeseburger but my mom made me get rid of it.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline jl222

« Reply #222 on: August 15, 2020, 06:04:26 PM »

Any news on Ralph?

JL222

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #223 on: August 15, 2020, 06:08:51 PM »

Any news on Ralph?

JL222

I seen a post on FB that the family would like privacy.   :-(

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #224 on: August 15, 2020, 06:25:26 PM »
    Ronnieroadster

congratulations Ronnie and your whole crew, I believe you guys where the only flathead powered car to set a record in 2020!

Thanks Phil  there was one other flathead that made impound the Marianis roadster. However ours was the only stock block in impound. Stock meaning the original Ford port layout six exhaust ports not a cut up out the top arrangement .
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"