Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2020 -- the event itself!!  (Read 72298 times)

Offline JR529

Re: SpeedWeek 2020 -- the event itself!!
« Reply #180 on: August 13, 2020, 08:29:27 PM »
Post from Electraliner...
So here's the latest....
EV WEST turned the motor down to 40% hoping I wouldn't get the record....but I did.....now after we all packed up and left they went back with different driver they found days early to take my record away, giving the new driver 100% power.
Incredibly disappointing after I designed the whole car, frame, and built the body plus a dozen other things......
Oh well, I cant fix evil

That doesn't make sense. If it's his car then why after he packed up and left was the car still on the salt and running?

Also, you never own a record, you just borrow it, Saying they are trying to "take my record away" is not really correct. You will always have the record and the red hat.

The meet is still on and the car still runs so turn that bitch up to 11 and send it while the salt is good and there are no lines. At least that's what I would want to do.

I would be curious to hear the whole story ...

« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 08:36:24 PM by JR529 »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #181 on: August 13, 2020, 09:39:29 PM »
JR529 said:  "...turn that bitch up to 11 and send it while the salt is good and there are no lines."

Here's more of the story.  The replacement driver is Jim Hoogerhyde - the other guy nicknamed "Slim" on the salt.  Anyway, he was in it for two runs this afternoon, the first of which was a qualifier and the second was a return run to back up that qualifying run.  There was very little activity on the salt so the team requested the backup run today.

He said that the car was still accelerating at 240 or so when an electrical issue made him choose to lift.   That's about all I can remember just now, so --

Further deponent sayeth not."
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline racergeo

« Reply #182 on: August 13, 2020, 11:05:21 PM »
  I'm a little confused as well. Roger Hickey had some runs in the 170's on the short course. Then ran a 217 mph qualifier on the 12th. I guess you backed it up this morning, correct. JR 529's assessment is correct, unless you had some sort of contractual agreement to always be the driver / record holder. I have pictures of it in my phone and it is a very small and aero lakester car. It is an excellent build and very nice looking.Common sense often dictates you start out a little slower and shake down the whole combination before you turn up the wick. You sound like you got your feelings hurt and unless you get it straightened out with an apology you might not get much seat time in the future. :wink: :wink: :-) My advice if your not the forgiving type, bust your a$$ and build a car that puts them on the trailer!!!!  :cheers:

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

• F/GC Record Holder 164.845
« Reply #183 on: August 13, 2020, 11:33:46 PM »
I'm a little shocked that Poteet's ability to fund his hobby was even mentioned.  God Bless that man. It's people like him that keep the interest going in this sport that doesn't pay anyone to participate in it. 

Going over 400 on a shoe string budget probably isn't prudent.

Congrats to George and his TEAM ... Great job all.

Jon C. 

Offline jl222

« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2020, 12:46:07 AM »
Congrats speed demon team on new record. The length of the Burkland's record lets you know this is no easy feat, especially acknowledging where we come with engine controls since 2004.

No easy feet, but money spent by Speed demon  compared to Burland would be a shocker.

Also hands on building.

JL222

Just a simple question about cost. Why does that bother people?

Hey if I had George's money I probably would do the same. And you have to respect anyone to drive at those 400 +MPH.

As far as hands on building and maintenance , you couldn't handle my thoughts.

We washed the truck and race car today. trailer tomorrow.

JL222

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #185 on: August 14, 2020, 03:24:23 AM »
Just so....

but I having a question....

could be that there are some low budget amateur racer also running on the salt....

as I understand.....without this low budget guys a Speedweek would be not possible....

but I can't see nothing about this poor folks here on that thread......

just so...... :?

my comment has nothing to do with George and the Speed Demon....

I wrote, because I read nothing about other racers and records....it would have been nice to see so notes....albeit for the once who has no chance to listen to the live stream....

just so.....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #186 on: August 14, 2020, 08:31:16 AM »
I'm heading out there now, but I'll first tell you that this will be a pretty short day.  Return runs (not many of them) then qualifying 'til 10 or so, a break for an hour or so, run the qualifiers and then be finished before noon.  We'll see.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #187 on: August 14, 2020, 10:31:10 AM »
  I'll weigh (way) in on the #118 post if I may. As a person that believes I've probably gone as cheaply per MPH in two motor sports as any one ever has, I have huge respect for George Poteet.
   You have to be WAY smart to form a team of employees in a business that makes you a success and enough money to race at a high level. There have been many people that have come to Bonneville (and all other forms of racing) with loads of money that have fallen on there faces. I can think of a few that are doing that right now!!!! I've said it before and I'll say it again, George Poteets genius is in his ability to surround him self with capable people that get the job done. I'm a little shocked that anyone thinks he only comes to the track and just sits in the car and that's it. Not very insightful. More then anything I respect him for the fact they named a future king of England after him.  :laugh: :lol: :lol:

We all know that George has the means to do what many of us can only dream of, nothing wrong with that at all. What bothers me is that some here seem to think that the only reason he does so well is because he has got the money, which cannot be further from the truth. I can tell you from first hand experience that this guy would give any of you at the salt the shirt off his back if it would help you make just one more run when your there. We were in some trouble trying to get the car ready in the time for the return record run when George and Ron came over with their entire crew and said what can we do to help, never asked for a D*** thing in return. With out that help we would not have been able to set the record. I've seen him lend any part or help he has, if it will help anyone at the salt, Just the way he is. Ron was the same too. That's just part of the reason he does so well IMHO, he is the real deal when it comes to being a racer.

That is a great story, I have never met George and all I have ever heard about him is that he's a great guy!  Ron on the other hand serve what's best for Ron, looks like he was nice to you.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #188 on: August 14, 2020, 10:51:35 AM »
I believe you're a fine judge of character.

(Which means I agree with you.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline TAKERRY

« Reply #189 on: August 14, 2020, 01:02:07 PM »
OK George has the money. Great but he also has the talent and the knowledge to get the job done. He gets in the car puts the pedal to the metal and doesn't lift. WHAT A MAN! I got interested in Bonneville after I read an article about Al Teague going over 400 in a car he built in his mothers garage. Again a man with the talent and the drive to do it. So he didn't have much money but no matter how much money you have you need the talent. I built my Trans Am drove to Bonneville made the 130 club and drove home. Lots of cars are faster and prettier than mine but I did it myself. Next year 150 club. The self satisfaction cannot be explained. Every time I watch the Worlds Fastest Indian movie the tears run down my face. Bonneville is the ultimate gearhead adventure. A day doesn't go by without me thinking about it. So do your best and you're doing it for self satisfaction
No trailer ran 135mph at the World of Speed 2011 see you in 2012 in Ohio and back at Bonneville at the world of speed going for the 150club 1979 Firebird T/A White . Ck out YOU TUBE. KERRY AT BONNEVILLE. Didn't  make 2012,2013,2014. ECTA in Ohio 2012 trans went out and 2013 fuel problems . Still trans and fuel problems. Finally all looks good. Ready to drive (no trailer) 1500 miles to Bonneville and It's cancelled. NEXT YEAR. SEPT. ECTA RAN 144 MPH. GETTING BETTER. 2021 Ran 152 fulfilled a ten year dream to make the 150 club.

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2020, 01:03:15 PM »
So I figure Ralph Hudson after going down at 250 on his 1000 bike got a ride in the ambulance. Any word?

Offline willie

• New folks
« Reply #191 on: August 14, 2020, 01:24:30 PM »
Many thanks to Slim and everyone involved in putting on the event.  Hope to make it in person next year. Every one have a safe trip home.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: August 14, 2020, 01:30:50 PM »
any word on Ralph's   muutt
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline sabat

« Reply #193 on: August 14, 2020, 02:06:44 PM »
BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS, Utah, Aug. 14, 2020 (Gephardt Daily) ? A 69-year-old motorcycle racer trying to set a record at Bonneville Salt Flats crashed Friday morning while traveling at about 252 mph.

Ralph Hudson, a veteran racer, crashed at about 8:20 a.m., according to a statement from the SCTA Southern California Timing Association.

?Veteran rider Ralph Hudson, age 69, lost control of his motorcycle land speed vehicle,? it says. ?He was attempting a speed record and was traveling approximately 252 mph. Ralph was treated by medical professionals at the scene and transported by ambulance to Life Flight and flown to Intermountain Medical Center in Salt Lake City.?

Officer Matt Gochis, Utah Bureau of Land Management, told Gephardt Daily that the victim was critically injured in the crash.

?A helicopter met him about 10 minutes ago,? Gochis said at about 10:25 a.m. MST. ?He was in critical condition when he left the ground.?

Gochis noted that vehicles do not race each other simultaneously during the Speedweek event, where Hudson and his team were. They try to beat established records in solo races.

Gochis said no one else was injured in the accident.

https://gephardtdaily.com/breaking-home/motorcycle-racer-69-critically-injured-in-252-mph-crash-at-bonneville-salt-flats/

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #194 on: August 14, 2020, 03:17:29 PM »
Critically injured does not sound good. That means he was unconscious and injuries are life threatening. I am hoping for the best.

In 2014 I went down at over 220 mph and was severely burned in many places, broken clavicle, ribs, wrist, etc. Not critical but that was not a fun recovery.

I have watched Ralph's phenomenal speeds for a while now both on his 1000cc bike and his 200 mph+ 650cc bike.  He is an extremely talented bike builder and LSR racer.  He deserves lots of respect for what he has done. I am hoping there will be an LSR future for him still.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer