Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2020 -- the event itself!!  (Read 72323 times)

Offline racergeo

Re: SpeedWeek 2020 -- the event itself!!
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2020, 03:12:46 PM »
  I'm a Poteet fan. He's a true car guy and speedaholic. He's not on a yacht eating caviar and hobnobbing. He can't help it if he is a self made rich guy. He can't take it with him so he's very wisely spending it racing.  :-D

I will always believe that the Burkland car can go way faster. If Tom would attend to his weight, by adding some ballast, Perhaps take a lesson from the Flash Point and get some high speed down force with wings, and perhaps some more modern tech with traction control. They only had 40 percent throttle on there 450 mph pass. If they could go to full throttle early in the run, it would be game on. If he would team up with Danny Thompson or some one that is good at acquiring sponsorship I think the car is more then capable. I realize with Gene being gone and them having the record for nearly a decade there may be no incentive to give it a GO. It would be fun to see a competition for that record. Burkland's car is just as capable as was the Thompson streamliner. You put 40 percent in those Donavons and hold on  :lol: 

Offline LindaH

• New folks
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2020, 03:23:09 PM »
Good Job 1100 EV2, My Bro's Roger and Ed Hickey, and the entire team.   :cheers: 
Thanks so much Slim for the awesome play by play...Now we need to back it up  :clap

Offline jl222

« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2020, 03:25:12 PM »
  I'm a Poteet fan. He's a true car guy and speedaholic. He's not on a yacht eating caviar and hobnobbing. He can't help it if he is a self made rich guy. He can't take it with him so he's very wisely spending it racing.  :-D

I will always believe that the Burkland car can go way faster. If Tom would attend to his weight, by adding some ballast, Perhaps take a lesson from the Flash Point and get some high speed down force with wings, and perhaps some more modern tech with traction control. They only had 40 percent throttle on there 450 mph pass. If they could go to full throttle early in the run, it would be game on. If he would team up with Danny Thompson or some one that is good at acquiring sponsorship I think the car is more then capable. I realize with Gene being gone and them having the record for nearly a decade there may be no incentive to give it a GO. It would be fun to see a competition for that record. Burkland's car is just as capable as was the Thompson streamliner. You put 40 percent in those Donavons and hold on  :lol:
  Tom knows what to do.

JL222
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 03:38:53 PM by jl222 »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2020, 03:57:22 PM »
Linda, izzat your brother Ed (Eddie) that came in and talked with me?  That guy's pretty smart for such a tall dude. 

Seriously - I'm quite interested in what Roger and team are doing.  I'll start paying attention.  BTW, Eddie said he's go to the Landracing.com Forum and start a build diary so we can see what's going on.  Great stuff!!

Thanks for the donation, too. :wink:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline LindaH

• New folks
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2020, 04:27:15 PM »
Although Ed is pretty darn smart, and tall I don't think that was him.  Didn't sound like him, but I can't get a hold of him so who knows.  I still don't understand this weighing thing???  We shall see... 

You're more than welcome for the donation.  I just might volunteer next year  :-D

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2020, 05:00:11 PM »
Electric vehicles are classed by total weight.  Under 500 kg, 501-1000  kg, and over 1000 kg.  We can suppose that the rule was created when lead-acid batteries were the only candidates and weight of the battery was closely correlated to electrical (kWh) capacity.

Nowadays with the high-zoot battery designs and chemistries I can see the class structure might need re-evaluation to find other ways to define class boundaries.

Ask Roger.  He might have far better information than I've offered.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2020, 05:09:57 PM »
That's right Jon - at least for electrics running at SCTA-BNI or USFRA meets.  But the FIA has split them up even further, with 13 classes (all by weight) for electrics, turbines, etc.

Jeff in Boise
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2020, 05:35:39 PM »
I bet as soon as the railroad train gets to a curve, one of those cars will pull out of line to pass.  (This comment will only make some sense to those that were listening to the live stream)

Thanks so much for all your hard work Slim.  You have made my week.  It must be even more difficult doing the broadcast with a bad wrist.  My wife thinks you are a born radio announcer.  Just the right voice for the job.
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline Bratfink

« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2020, 07:46:32 PM »
Electric vehicles are classed by total weight.  Under 500 kg, 501-1000  kg, and over 1000 kg.  We can suppose that the rule was created when lead-acid batteries were the only candidates and weight of the battery was closely correlated to electrical (kWh) capacity.

Nowadays with the high-zoot battery designs and chemistries I can see the class structure might need re-evaluation to find other ways to define class boundaries.

Ask Roger.  He might have far better information than I've offered.

One suggestion could be to open up the electric power train categories to the rest of the classes. Rather than being lumping all ev?s into 3 classes, there should be EV3/S. or EV2/RMR. I dunno, something like that, we need to add something to keep the kids on board.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2020, 08:37:15 PM »
That's a great idea!  We can catch up with the motorcycles and have a lot more open records.  Everyone can have a Bonneville record.  "Fastest Red Street Roadster", "Fastest 82-87 Camaro (Silver)", "Fastest Mid-Engine (Either Front or Rear) Model A Blown Alcohol Roadster", etc.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2020, 08:52:51 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce Stan Back - the racer that manages to follow the very fine line between acerbic and curmudgeon, Mr. Stan Back.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline racergeo

« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2020, 09:10:37 PM »
  I'm with ya Stan. Just glad that SSS is not a closet Face Book cop. You'd be outa here!!!!! lol8

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2020, 09:28:16 PM »
Somebody listening to the stream wrote and asked about purchasing the audio - and I hadn't ever really looked.  So I did, and here'swhat I wrote back to him.

Good question, Don.  I'd never looked into the details of the archived programs. . .so I just did.  I learned that you can very easily access the archived programs from the link on the home page.  You'll need to select the event as a "radio show" and then enter the date you wanna hear.  Pretty easy, and there I was and two more  clicks and  was listening to Ron at SpeedWeek '18.  Free so far - to listen.  Then I followed the button the purchase and found that the entire 6 1/2 hour file from that day sells for $5.99.  I didn't check other dates - just tried once to see what'd happen.

I hope that answers your questions.  Thanks again for getting my lazy butt moving to look it up.  I'll announce it tomorrow.

Okay, yeah, I shoulda done this years ago, but since I didn't - have any of you tried spending $$ for some audio?  I see I've git a little less than a hundred bucks in the account there - no clue where it came from.  Lemme know if you have a minute.

P S:  I would never think of busting Mr. Back.  I value his counsel.  Really.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline racergeo

« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2020, 09:42:53 PM »
   Jon, Jon, good job of announcing. You pronounce your words nicely for us hearing impaired. Only thing I would ask, if we turn in late we would like the occasional recap of the good runs, especially qualifiers. Like"if you just tuned in the Speed Demon ran 469 about an hour ago" Thanks for this site and your dedication to it.  George

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2020, 12:16:45 AM »
That's a great idea!  We can catch up with the motorcycles and have a lot more open records.  Everyone can have a Bonneville record.  "Fastest Red Street Roadster", "Fastest 82-87 Camaro (Silver)", "Fastest Mid-Engine (Either Front or Rear) Model A Blown Alcohol Roadster", etc.

FIM has done what SCTA could, maybe should, do. Cut classes. The dropped 50/80cc bikes from the Would Road Racing championships when 50/80cc bikes were replaced by Mopeds on the roads. They dropped 500cc Sidecars from the World RR championship when they became three wheeled formula cars.

Maybe it makes sense to replace flathead/four banger, six cylinder classes with electric classes. Hot rodding was originally about building cars from junk yard parts. When was the last time you saw a T, A, B Ford four in a junk yard? Tesla, Volt, BMW i8, etc should soon be plentiful at big city junk yards. Here in Orange County, CA the Tesla has become the new Toyota Corolla. The other day I shared a left turn lane with three Tesla.

So why not have SCTA electric motor classes? Today electric motors are being swapped into Corvettes, Mustangs, etc.
Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.