Author Topic: Need help from some Speed Week veterans  (Read 13183 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Need help from some Speed Week veterans
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2020, 03:01:59 PM »
Yeah.  He sent a few notes to me and I responded - nothing since then. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Ro Yale

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2020, 09:35:23 AM »
I think the best watching is at the tech line in the first couple of days. Then there is the starting line for some great views. It's always cool to watch cars come through at the 4 mile, you can see the speed and watch the parachutes deploy. In the pits are lots of stories and most people are more than happy to talk to ya. Good luck and have fun. Oh and something else important is to have a way to get around because everything is so spread out. Like 3 miles from the pits to the starting line. A car is fine for this.
Racers Race and Whiners Whine!

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2020, 05:00:47 PM »
A lot of cars don't make it to the 4.  Its gets lonely out there!   :-D

Offline UT AT

• New folks
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2020, 03:22:26 PM »
You need to contact the SCTA / BNI for permission to film to start with.

Beyond that permit I believe the salt flats fall under BLM land. The BLM has their own set of guidelines and permits for commercial filming. I mention this because I was working w a company and filming a show on BLM land. After spending a week in very rigorous conditions filming the show One of the people on the crew realized we needed a BLM permit which we did not have.  The entire show was scrubbed.  The BLM gets very particular on the regulatory side of all this.  If you guys already know this please forgive me I am only trying to help.
Speed week is an amazing event and way of life for many people. 
The common goal of so many people at this event is to go fast have fun and be safe.  You will meet many amazing friendly people who would do anything to help their fellow Racer.  You will see top race teams working on their cars and talking to the public about what they do.  The spectators can walk through the pits and stand right at the start line which is something that doesn?t happen in a lot of motorsports. Camping out at the bend, the car show at the nugget and more are fun side events.  Perhaps interview officials, racers and spectators who have been attending this for decades!   I wish you luck in capturing all of this!

https://www.blm.gov/programs/lands-and-realty/leases-and-permits/filming-on-public-lands/film-permits
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 03:24:09 PM by UT AT »

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2020, 05:30:17 PM »
If a camera is interested in what I have to say my first question before it starts is.."Is there going to be a profit for YOU in this as to the sale of the filming to some one" If the answer is yes i ask them to please go else where and find someone else. There are exceptions to this but not many.

I've found there are plenty of folks with EGO's out there who will gladly give an interview even if they don't know the a** from a hole in the ground.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro